eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How to build a big planter box - Gardners & Carpenters L

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manysocks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: How to build a big planter box - Gardners & Carpenters L Reply with quote

I have a cement block yard.

I have to grow my flowers and vegetables in pots.

I would love to have a small 3 x 6' raised growing bed to put over my cement bricks.
I have a rectangular yard, so either 3x6 or 4x8.

I found this great webpage on how to build a raised planting box!

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/garden/article/0,20633,1152183,00.html
But, the lumber is too heavy for me to put together.

I wonder if 1/4 inch plywood would do it? Something light.

Just something simple. Certain woods will rot easy. Plastic board leeches chemicals into the soil.

Where are the carpenters and gardeners at ecrater?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We built raised planters in our yard, love 'em! We put down the black stuff and no weeds have come up, which is great!
Plywood won't work, though, it will come apart. There's not much of anything to do but use the cedar. It will last forever, too. Pay some neighbor kid to help you lug it around.
brendasstuff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't look at the article but we built ours out of ends from the lumber mill.. I'm not sure what they're called but if you are near some small lumber mills, they may let you take it for free.

I totally can't think of the name of the stuff..it's from the outside of the tree, has the bark on it and looks cool in my opinion. (I'm going to think of this all night until I come up with it LOL)
manysocks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TEX and Brenda for your input!

I surprised myself and bought some "pine" wood at the Home Depot tonight.

I decided to try for a small 4 X 4 foot raised garden.

I know I should have got cedar or ..the other wood, but, Home Depot only had pine. They cut it for me in 4 ft pieces.

Only about $22.50 which included all the wood screws I needed and 4 inner posts (2 by 4".)

Then I started to study the website that I posted(with the diagram and instructions.) I realized the construction plan was for a garden bed OVER A PILE OF SOIL...and I have those Square Cement (2x2') blocks in my yard.

Shocked Laughing And the cement blocks are a bit uneven. So, I am think that the soil will just "run off" and out the bottom of the box.

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD. I have the wood. But, how do I get the bottom steady.

Any ideas. I was thinking a layer of sand, then a Black garden plastic thing (4x4) on top of the sand.
Then lay the garden bed on top of that?
But, I guess sand will wash away too. sigh.

well, I will think about that tomorrow it is almost midnight.
yawn.
Hope to get some Friday morning ideas from someone.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the cement blocks are a bit uneven. So, I am think that the soil will just "run off" and out the bottom of the box.

Get that black plastic type ground cover that is made to keep weeds out of flower beds --- put that down and up the sides - attaching it to the wood using staple gun. You might want to put some drainage in - some holes in it and maybe a layer of gravel if you can - something to allow the rain etc to drain or you might end up with a swimming pool if you get lots of rain.
If you dont' want to use the plastic weed thingy - there is a fiber like almost fabric that can be used - it's almost like interfacing (used in sewing) but heavier. This will allow the water to drain through it. ANd keep the weeds from growing up into it.
barkrock

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a mild climate, the English herb bed idea is a great one! You plant a bed of boxwood in the shape of a square (with an open center), and fill the center with soil. Keep adding soil, and the boxwood eventually roots in sideways. Add more soil, and you have a raised bed with the Boxwood holding the whole works together.

I've tried this; and ended up with one lonely, sickly boxwood huddled up next to our house. A friend in Maryland had success with the technique; but I guess the north coast of the US is just too cold for boxwood!
brendasstuff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on actually buying the stuff !!

I'd do what BNT said with the fabric and gravel. You mentioned a block patio..are they cemented in ? Maybe you could just take a few out and build on the edges of the that area ?

I also wouldn't paint the boards like the article said unless maybe with some type of organic oil.. You dont' want those chemicals in your natural food. I just replace my boards but I'm in the country Smile The ones I have lasted about 8 years before needing to be replaced.
LynnaVicOriginals

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had far more success with the gardens since I insisted they be raised up. It's a big job to be sure but well worth the effort. The landscape fabric makes a world of difference in the bottom. Great stuff but I made the mistake of using it on the top of a raised bed. Big mess to combat when the soil settled...and I'd put decorative stone on the landscape fabric to make it look pretty! Ugh. We used mini ties but I see some of them have started to get punky now. They're 20 years old in some of the beds.

Enjoy your new project! Vickie
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: