eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Commissioning and Categorizings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunarberry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Commissioning and Categorizings? Reply with quote

Ok, I managed to find most of the answers to the majority of my questions (although I found answers about shipping I've yet to figure that one out still lol), but just got a few more product questions that I'm having trouble finding.

1.) About taking commissions.
I've read that pre-orders aren't allow, but does this include made to order items? I know you can have pre-made items that can be customized for the buyer, but it's certainly considered a service. Obviously I'll have to put in the FAQ and product info that it'll take time before item can be shipped and all. And I would use the quantity to either offer the service one at a time or to make "slots" for openings on how many I can work on at a time. Just wondering if this is possibly allow? If not I do have a website of my own that I could do it on, but I was hoping to be able to do pretty much all my transactions here ^^

2.) Categorizing
I think I might know the answer but I'm making sure. I'm wanting to create separate categories for the same type of item (for ex. -graphics) but one set is for general buying, which would mean that any number of buyers can get that graphic and would have to be able to customize it themselves if they want text or something. The other set is one offs/originals that only the first buyer gets and I'll customize the text etc. for the buyer at their request. Would separating them based on what is offered for them be valid enough to allow them to be in different categories (sub or otherwise)? I ask cause I remember reading somewhere that the same or similar items can't be put in different categories. Although the items technically won't be the exact same item, but they would be the same type of item.

That's all I can think of at the moment, thanks for ya'll's time ^^
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Commissioning and Categorizings? Reply with quote

lunarberry wrote:
...although I found answers about shipping I've yet to figure that one out still...

lol don't we all.
lunarberry wrote:
1.) About taking commissions.
I've read that pre-orders aren't allow, but does this include made to order items? I know you can have pre-made items that can be customized for the buyer, but it's certainly considered a service. Obviously I'll have to put in the FAQ and product info that it'll take time before item can be shipped and all. And I would use the quantity to either offer the service one at a time or to make "slots" for openings on how many I can work on at a time. Just wondering if this is possibly allow? If not I do have a website of my own that I could do it on, but I was hoping to be able to do pretty much all my transactions here ^^

You can't list pre-order items. But your customers can buy them once they are ready. You could list them ahead of time and hide them. Once you have the item ready, you can unhide it and contact the customer to buy it. Of course this won't stop from anyone else buying it.

You could put a message on your home or about pages that you take custome orders. But don't know how efficient that would be.

Since you have another site, you could display the items there and have the customers contact and order etc. and send the customers to eCrater store once it is ready for purchase. But you won't be able to charge them ahead of time.
lunarberry wrote:
2.) Categorizing
I think I might know the answer but I'm making sure. I'm wanting to create separate categories for the same type of item (for ex. -graphics) but one set is for general buying, which would mean that any number of buyers can get that graphic and would have to be able to customize it themselves if they want text or something. The other set is one offs/originals that only the first buyer gets and I'll customize the text etc. for the buyer at their request. Would separating them based on what is offered for them be valid enough to allow them to be in different categories (sub or otherwise)? I ask cause I remember reading somewhere that the same or similar items can't be put in different categories. Although the items technically won't be the exact same item, but they would be the same type of item.

You cannot list the same item twice.

You can create two separate (local) categories for what you described. But you'll most likely be listing them in the same global category (don't know the exact location, if I'm mistaken someone will correct me). Make sure the difference in the items are expressed clearly in titles of the product pages, otherwise the category mods will think you relisted the item and delete one. If there are too many eCrater will suspend your store for it.
lunarberry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Commissioning and Categorizings? Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:

You could put a message on your home or about pages that you take custome orders. But don't know how efficient that would be.

Since you have another site, you could display the items there and have the customers contact and order etc. and send the customers to eCrater store once it is ready for purchase. But you won't be able to charge them ahead of time.

True, might not plan on charging full price before a custom item is deemed "ready". I'll probably take that advise about posting that I take custom orders on the about page, etc. I actually have built a store template on my main site but I hadn't figured out how to work out quantity, which was what appeal to me about ecrater is making things more convenient. I'll probably conduct commissionable works there and just keep to what I have on hand here.

ACRead wrote:

You can create two separate (local) categories for what you described. But you'll most likely be listing them in the same global category (don't know the exact location, if I'm mistaken someone will correct me). Make sure the difference in the items are expressed clearly in titles of the product pages, otherwise the category mods will think you relisted the item and delete one. If there are too many eCrater will suspend your store for it.

Ahh, I see. Well, pretty much all my graphic items will have a sort of specific title to each one as mentioned they wouldn't be the same graphic, just item type. But yea I'll be sure to try and make them titles very clear as possible. And yeah I believe the global category is Services>Logos & Graphics ^^

Well that answered my questions. Thanks for the info ^^

Last edited by lunarberry on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the info you were given re the custom work is correct or not. There are a number of people selling everything from custom made bridal gowns to birthday party invitations. I've never seen anything on their sites to say payment wasn't due till item was made. The buyer could forget you existed in that length of time. It would be one thing to get stuck with a dozen invites but something else again to get stuck with a multi-thousand dollar wedding gown.

For me, pre-order means like Amazon does for books due to be released in 4-6 weeks.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made to order items can be listed.
Pre-order are things like DVD's that are not yet on the market, Concert tickets that are not for sale yet.
Made to order is not the same as pre-ordering an item that is not yet avaiable to the general public for sale.

You can make your store categories and sub categories any way you want.
You can NOT list the same item in more then once.
If you list one as a personalized for you graphic and one as a you buy the graphic and do whatever you want to it - that's not the same item.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I don't know what is considered pre-ordered item then. Listen to Maggie and BigTall.
lunarberry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Made to order items can be listed.
Pre-order are things like DVD's that are not yet on the market, Concert tickets that are not for sale yet.
Made to order is not the same as pre-ordering an item that is not yet avaiable to the general public for sale.

You can make your store categories and sub categories any way you want.
You can NOT list the same item in more then once.
If you list one as a personalized for you graphic and one as a you buy the graphic and do whatever you want to it - that's not the same item.

Oh wow thanks that does cut down on alot of extra work I'd have to do lol Very Happy
And to Acread, thanks for trying to help, luv ya for it anyways <3 ^^
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: