eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

For or against 4 day workweeks?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: For or against 4 day workweeks? Reply with quote

I don't know about your part of the country, but a lot of places down here are talking about 4 day workweeks. I just picked up the local newspaper in the yard, and the headline says the County Courts are going to a 4 day workweek. The state board of education is talking about it for schools, and they already do a 4 day week in summer school.
It's all about gas prices..a typical school around here will bus as many as 90% of their students. They are already predicting shortfalls in their budgets in the millions, in the larger city schools because of increased diesel, heating and electric costs. A 4 day school week would cut those costs by 20%. Some of the smaller country schools around here are providing bus pickup for the teachers in Lubbock who won't take a job where they have to drive so far...that's the only way they can get teachers out there.
We have a lot of companies that are located in rural areas for various reasons-stockyards, meat processing plants, junk yards, dairies. A big plant in the panhandle that stores nuclear weapons, busses their employees out to their plant from Amarillo. Their lower level employees can no longer afford to drive that far every day. They will have to maintain security on Friday of course, but at least they wouldn't be running so many busses into town.
So what do you think? Would you be willing to work ten hours a day in order to save gas and have a 3 day weekend every week? Would you be willing to pay for day care one day a week (this would only apply to working mothers) in order to keep your school taxes down?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked a somewhat similar schedule. How ever it was figured, you worked longer for 9 days and got the 10th day off. That way you weren't overtired because of working the extra time. It was pretty neat. I also found one particular manager had no qualms about calling me at home on that day off. I ended up not answering the phone and letting the machine pick it up.

I had a co-worker who worked that 10 hour day so he could have his Fridays off. Then on Friday, he worked retail. He took his vacation around Christmas (espcially the week after Christmas) and worked retail then too. Poor guy (after a divorce) owed everybody and his brother money and was doing all the extra work to catch up on the bills.

People don't take vacations now without their laptops, cell phones and blackberrys. I don't see how they won't end up working 10 hour days and then on Friday doing some 'telecommuting' work.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes self discipline. I take my laptop when we travel, check my email, and put it away for the day. I admit, when I was moderating, I did check the new listings in the morning, felt obligated to do that. But the last time I went to see the kids, I let it ride until I got home.
We are workaholics, and it's our own fault. We think we are indispensable and the truth is that the office will get along without us for a day.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there is a cure for workaholism. Is there a 12-step program for it? My A-type personality ruined my health and having to be idle drove me nuts. Now that I am officially retired I put in more hours "working" than I ever did when "employed."

Adults might find a four day work week doable and it would probably work well on shift work or hourly labor stamina wise but all sorts of union regulations would be affected due to legal numbers of breaks etc. Companies could find the 4 day week more expensive.

Not sure about kids. Elementary school kids might have a hard time being productive for extended days. Here they are talking about starting school later each day as kids stay up so late they don't function in the early school hours.
noadi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's such a good idea. One of the high schools I went to started class at 7am, there were kids whose bus rides were up to 45 minutes long, I knew kids who were getting up at 4:30am for school. It was totally ridiculous but the school didn't want to start later because they said it would "mess up the sports schedule". Last time I checked sports weren't as important as students being awake for class.

I think 4 day work weeks are great for adults, or for middle and high school students. Elementary school though, I don't think little kids could handle it.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood why schools decided bus rides to and from had to be free.
They weren't when I was in school. I either walked 2 miles to jounior high or rode my bike or had to buy bus tickets.

Here we have year round school for elementary - otherwise all the kids don't fit in the building - this way 1/4 of the students are always out of school.
Middle school and high school go on a more traditional school schedule.

Buses are provided for everyone more then 1 mile away.
After school activity bus (the 4:30 bus not the one directly after school) have been cancelled this upcoming school year mainly due to gas prices and lack of riders.

GIRLS sport events within 5 miles of the school - they get a bus ride there but not back to the school. Yeah a real PITA when you kid drives to school, then you have to go to the other school pick them up to take them to their car.
BOYS on the other hand even get a round trip bus trip to the football field about 1 mile away from school.
Not to mention that they also play schools as far away as Grand Junction something like a 6 1/2 hour drive! That's just NUTS!
BUT sports pays the bills! And schools are not all for the education but for the SPORTS and how much money they can get because of a great team.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to school you could watch the girls play for nothing. You had to pay to watch boys.

Where I live the only kids getting a school bus ride are the special needs kids. Others take public transport and have student rates.

When I was a kid in a small town, townies could not ride the school bus. Our house was on the first street inside the town limits and my mother tried to have us walk about 100 meters to the first farm driveway but the bus wouldn't stop for us as that farmer had no children registered in school. Alas poor mom had to get up and dressed early too.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was all before the Democrats instituted busing as a way of achieving integration. If you will review your civil rights history, that was when they started requiring schools to provide busing to an increased number of students, in order to distribute them across town more equitably. There are school districts where a child living a block from one school is bused to a school twenty blocks away.
noadi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In rural areas busing is also a way to make sure kids go to school at all, especially as rural district have consolidated into big regional districts where the school can be 30 miles or more away form students homes. I can guarantee without buses (or even if they charged, unless they did it like school lunches were low income kids get a break) the number of students in my district would drop from parents unwilling or unable to bring their kid to school.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! We have a school of about 1200, and 1000 of them are bused every day. Since the school is actually out in a cotton field, nobody lives in walking distance. We bus or this school would die.
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Absolutely! We have a school of about 1200, and 1000 of them are bused every day. Since the school is actually out in a cotton field, nobody lives in walking distance. We bus or this school would die.

Rural area here. Many of our schools are consolidated, meaning they can be miles away from an actual town. Busing is almost mandatory.
We've worked 4 day work weeks. Loved it. You actually got a weekend. Took less time off to cover appointments for places that were only available Monday-Friday.
Since the husband has his own business, he will work from daylight to sunset to finish a job vs going back the next day. He does not charge his customers mileage. Fighting hard not to tack that on to the final bill.
fromlu2you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a teacher and I think a four day week is great. We could add say 45 minutes more a day, cut out some of the time fillers and get the job done. Mondays to me would be best day off b/c of sports, especially football. FB is played on Friday nights in my state and of course it rules. They could cut out Spring Break and most legal holidays, schedule parent teacher conferences on Mondays and it is would work. Then the teachers could plan on Mondays either at work or at home via the internet.

Gas shortage or no gas shortage I have said for years it is a great idea.
secondhandsal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We could add say 45 minutes more a day, cut out some of the time fillers and get the job done. Mondays to me would be best day off b/c of sports, especially football. FB is played on Friday nights in my state and of course it rules. They could cut out Spring Break and most legal holidays, schedule parent teacher conferences on Mondays and it is would work.

We've had 4 day school days here for 2 yrs. now and nothing else has changed. The kids seem to be out of school more than they in. They still get off for parent-teacher conferences, they get out of school for games too!

Plus, since so many parents have so many kids around here, the parents who are professionals like the doctors, dentists, even repair shops, close on Fridays so there is someone to watch the kids. Mad
We have to plan or make appts. on M-T now and then they get so overbooked, you do a lot of waiting, or get canceled appts.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We could add say 45 minutes more a day, cut out some of the time fillers and get the job done.

I have homeschooled during elementary, middle & high school....
Amazing we could get just about everything done from 8 am to 1 pm at the latest. AND we took Friday's off (or we scheduled museums, zoos or whatever on Fridays) Now that was all academic work....
Any Art classes, bowling leagues, swim classes etc. were scheduled in the afternoon. But only once or twice a week. "home ec" was when they made lunch or dinner Cool
They both did go to "monday school" at a church that the school district funded. So that day ran from 9 am to 2:45 pm. They had biology (I did not keep dead animals in th fridge to dissect ) Shocked
But they also had writing class, spanish & art.
So those were some extra things for them.

So personally.... 4 day school days should be no different IF they just did the work instead of "filler" time. & YES... shorten all the seasonal breaks & teacher meeting days.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree completely. I've thought about how much time we waste at school. For some reason the state of Texas seems to think quantity equates to quality. If we cut out the activity periods, pep rallys, inservice days, benchmark testing days, etc, etc-we could still teach the same amount of material in 4-5 weeks less of school.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: