eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google Analytics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
claimitandframeit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Google Analytics Reply with quote

I just signed up today for Google Analytics. As you all know, today all of our hits went to zero due to it being the first of the month.

Since hits went to zero, I have very few hits, but I have some.

Google Analytics is saying I have zero percent hits. Why haven't even the few I have kicked into Google Analytics?

Thanks.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
claimitandframeit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helloooooo...it's hard to believe nobody has an answer for this.
collectiblyyours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! You should see today's hits on Google Analytics tomorrow. It is about 24 hours behind, not an instant "live" count.
claimitandframeit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, collectiblyyours, I didn't know that.

I'll check tomororow.

That helps a lot.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that Google Analytics are correct either as I keep an eye on my store hits and sometimes Google will say I have 5 when I obviously have 20 or whatever. I just use it as another source of information not as gospel.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Periwinkles wrote:
I'm not sure that Google Analytics are correct either as I keep an eye on my store hits and sometimes Google will say I have 5 when I obviously have 20 or whatever. I just use it as another source of information not as gospel.

The default time interval used in Google Analytics reports is the past 30 days. Where as the eCrater values are the total from the beginning of the month to the day you are on (which means the number of days the hits are totaled for start from 1 and go up to 30 each month. It is not 30 days all thoroughout the month). The two numbers won't match if you are not looking at the same time interval.

If you go to Google Analytics and change the time interval to start from the beginning of that month and look at the data the numbers would match that of eCrater (that is if you are not filtering your IP number at Google Analytics).

So no, I don't think Analytics is wrong. Neighter is eCraters hits. It's all an issue of how you look at the data.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine set to show the information for each day. I know it is wrong at the end of the month when eCrater turns the hits to zero and it shows 30 hits and Google Analytics show 1.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Periwinkles wrote:
I have mine set to show the information for each day. I know it is wrong at the end of the month when eCrater turns the hits to zero and it shows 30 hits and Google Analytics show 1.

Are you filtering the Google data for any IP addresses?

And you have made sure that your UA number is correct and matches the one for the profile.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my own IP address.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At eCrater every time you open your own product that counts as a hit. If you open to look at the page 5 times it would increase the hit count by 5. If you are filtering your IP address at Google analytics. None of the times you open your product pages will count. In fact all movement that is associated with your computer would be taken out of the data.

If you are filtering at Google Analytics it won't have any impact on the numbers being displayed at eCraters "Products" pages. The filtering most likely happens after eCrater sends the relavant info (which is what is displayed at eCrater) to Google Analytics.
claimitandframeit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part of Google Analytics is that it tells you where your hits are coming from. It also tells you what keywords are being used. It's a great tool.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
At eCrater every time you open your own product that counts as a hit. If you open to look at the page 5 times it would increase the hit count by 5. If you are filtering your IP address at Google analytics. None of the times you open your product pages will count. In fact all movement that is associated with your computer would be taken out of the data.

If you are filtering at Google Analytics it won't have any impact on the numbers being displayed at eCraters "Products" pages. The filtering most likely happens after eCrater sends the relavant info (which is what is displayed at eCrater) to Google Analytics.

That is only when you are in your store. I very seldom go to my store and open items and I know that when I do it counts as the number of time I look at it or refresh the page. I check them in admin so that shouldn't have anything to do with the amount of hits.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Periwinkles wrote:

Confused

So when you check the numbers at your eCrater account, you go to "products" and record the number at the same time the interval starts for the report for Google Analytics (which is the original time you set up the account I think. I may be wrong it might just be a time in the morning. But it is the same time every day). And then the next day at the same time you go and record the new number and take the difference (from the day before) and it doesn't match Google Analytics. Is that what you do?
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hits shown at eCrater will always be more because, as I understand it, "hits" include more than a simple visit to a page. For example, if you're on the front page and refresh six times I believe that will get you six extra hits (because a new item in the featured product slot is being called each time). I think someone has said that search results in Google Products may produce hits too but I'm 100% sure.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I don't create any confusion or controversy but I'll try to explain it as I understand it. Poopsheet is correct. A single "unique" visitor to your site can create multiple "hits" as they navigate around a page or pages. To the best of my knowledge, our Ecrater hit counter is just that, a simple hit counter and will show "all" hits.

Below is a screen shot of the "Awstats" from one of my site and I'll use it as a visual example of what I mean.

If you look at the first column (orange) you see the number of "unique" visitors. Now look at the third column (dark blue). This shows the number of pages the visitors looked at while on the site. Now the fourth column (light blue) show the number of "hits" the unique visitor created. In the example you see that 125 visitors created 4157 "hits"

In addition, robots,spiders,crawlers can generate "hits" so again in my AWstats you can see this.

Google analytics gives pretty much the same info just in a different format. I use both and they are usually very close.

I guess what I'm trying to say is our Ecrater hit counter is a nice tool to see if your getting any activity on your site but is not an accurate picture of the number of actual visitors looking at your products. It counts all "hits" regardless of whether they came from one visitor or hundreds.

Google Analytics will always give you more accurate information.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: