eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Time Flows On Vintage Postcards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Promote Your eCRATER Store
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timeflowson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Time Flows On Vintage Postcards Reply with quote

I have been busy stocking my store this month with Edward H. Mitchell postcards with many more hopefully added daily until all my stock is listed here on eCrater! http://timeflowson.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=494908

I have always enjoyed postcards published by Edward H. Mitchell. Who can resist the amusing exaggerated postcards of huge fruit going to market on their Southern Pacific Railroad Cars or the subtle studies of an object whether it is a flower or statue? A prolific publisher, Edward H. Mitchell brought the beauty of the Pacific Coast, the excitement of
Worlds Fair Expositions, the wilds of Alaska and the exotic and tropical beauty of Hawaii into many homes.

Edward Henry Mitchell was born April 27, 1867 in San Francisco California. A tall man for his day; six feet three inches tall, Mitchell was primarily a businessman with a diverse portfolio which besides his postcard publishing also included real estate and oil well leasing.

He was the first lithographing establishment in the country to give workmen an eight-hour day and paid his men as much in one week as overseas workers were receiving in one month. He was noted as saying "money is paid to American workmen who spend it at home
and keep it in circulation." All postcards printed after 1908 proudly proclaim 'Printed in the United States' on their backside.

Edw. H. Mitchell gave up postcard publishing around 1923 and died from a heart attack in Palo Alto, California on October 24, 1932.

Even if you have no interest in postcards, I urge you to take a look at this great postcard publisher's works. He was a man who truly appreciated his Country.

Last edited by timeflowson on Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
timeflowson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: God Bless America Reply with quote

We have two more stars on our flag since this postcard was made but the sentiment is the same:

Happy 4th of July from Time Flows On Vintage Postcards

www.timeflowson.ecrater.com

Last edited by timeflowson on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
timeflowson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Vintage Birth Announcement for Emails Reply with quote

My Niece requested an email birth announcement she could use so I reworked a vintage postcard which was originally used around 100 years ago.

It was scanned at 300 PPI high resolution for excellent reproduction and resizing. I am offering this image in my store for your use (without name) or if requested I can add your personal information:

http://timeflowson.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=533710

A beautiful blending of the old with the new.

(Her baby was born yesterday!)

Last edited by timeflowson on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
timeflowson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Bathing at the beach Reply with quote

I am still adding more great Edward H. Mitchell Postcards to my site daily. http://timeflowson.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=494908

Todays featured card is of a pretty young girl dressed in her proper "bathing" attire. Today we use the word bathing as a description of cleansing ourselves but in the early 1900's the word was used to describe getting wet. Many cards will often have the word bathing instead of swimming such as bathing pool or bathers having fun, perhaps it was more descriptive since I cannot imagine swimming in this outfit!

http://timeflowson.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2645243

Last edited by timeflowson on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 am; edited 1 time in total
timeflowson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Exaggerated Postcards Reply with quote

One of my favorite Topics is the Exaggerated Postcard especially those made by Edward H. Mitchell found here: http://timeflowson.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=507526

Today we see some pretty awesome special effects not only on the movie screen but also in print, but in the early 1900's this had our ancestors scratching their heads and asking "How did they do that?"

These cards look great framed and lined up horizontally in a kitchen or make great gifts for the railroad, train collector.

Last edited by timeflowson on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
timeflowson

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Postcard Double Takes Reply with quote

Apparently it was common among post card publishers to use a popular photo over and over and in the process it may have become worn and needing retouching. this was the reason behind people disappearing or appearing, city streets with or without electric wires, buildings coming or going, and so on.

Edward H. Mitchell was a master of this practice. Oranges grew on Eucalyptus trees, people changed clothing, or grew older from one printing to the next. He was also a good business man in changing titles to either make scenes regional for better sales or universal to be able to sell them everywhere!

Here is a good example of such a name change. The 1908 version describes the women as Japanese while the 1915 card has changed them to Chinese. Also notice the addition of flowers in the grassy areas and the slight change in dress.

More Great Edward H. Mitchell California Postcards can be found here:
http://timeflowson.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=507510

timeflowson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Back to School Vintage Postcards Reply with quote

It's that time of the year again when both children and adults start thinking of returning back to school.

I have been adding many back to school vintage postcards which I invite you to browse and reminisce.
http://timeflowson.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=494926

Schools have been and still are a great source of pride for their communities.

Not so very long ago attending school was a luxury as children were expected to enter the work force at an early age. Most education was making sure these children had a basic understanding of the three "r's" reading, writing and arithmetic. Having a college or even a high school diploma certainly put you into an elite status so it is no wonder postcards of their schools were proudly sent showing the world their community was able to support higher education!

School Postcards make excellent unique gifts for teachers. What a surprise they will have when you present a vintage postcard of their school or schools in their district.
timeflowson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: 1906 Gymnasium in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania Reply with quote

The older I get the more I enjoy watching the Olympics, like most people gymnastics for me is a 'must see' event.

Watching these young Olympiads has inspired me to highlight this great postcard posted in 1906. This undivided back post card shows the well equipped gymnasium at the State Normal School in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania and can be purchased here: http://timeflowson.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2880446

The gym provided a variety of equipment including tumbling mats, a pommel horse, many rings, parallel bars and row after row of Indian clubs and barbells lined up against the wall.

www.timeflowson.ecrater.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Promote Your eCRATER Store
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: