eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

help for computer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
baystatejem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: help for computer Reply with quote

my computer has been acting up since this morning (yucky pop ups keep popping up and run time error just now).

anyone know how to turn the clock back to the point it was sane?

please help!

Last edited by baystatejem on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
baystatejem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i sign in (or log in) in this situaion, is there a chance for my username and password to leak out somehow?

my keyboard is not working properly either. not all typed letters are showing.

what's happening?
partsanthings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try clearing the cache on your browser and deleting all the temp file and then rebooting the computer. But I am inclined to think that you have a virus or spyware or both.

I would install something like AVG Free and see if it can clean it up.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About your keyboard...and this is giving away what a slob I am! But if keys are not working, you probably have something in your keyboard, under those letters.Something as minute as dust or a crumb from your muffin can keep a key from working. Use your compressed air and clean off the keyboard. I have had this problem before, so I speak from experience! Laughing
baystatejem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your helpful replies.

it was getting worse and then boom, yesterday morning all hell broke loose and virus / spyware / adware / trojan etcs took over my computer and keyboard. ugliest popups overwhelmed my computer and disabled my keyboard.

i went to the adware site and bought a year's subscription for their "stopzilla" software ($19.99 after $20 rebate), which i downloaded immediately and used to clean up the computer.

the computer was still incredibly slow, even after the initial "full scanning and removal." i'm doing another round of full scanning.

once my computer is cleaned up, i will download "verizon security suite" from verizon site (which is free as i'm verizon DSL customer), and hope it protects the computer from future infections.

i'm writing all this for other computer illiterates like me.
i'll report back to the board with the result of the second scanning and removal.
baystatejem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

partsanthings wrote:
You can try clearing the cache on your browser and deleting all the temp file and then rebooting the computer. But I am inclined to think that you have a virus or spyware or both.

I would install something like AVG Free and see if it can clean it up.

------------

i do regular clean-up from tools -> internet options -> delete files / cookies / history.

what is AVG? can you elaborate on it? for poor folks like me, please.
OpalsOnBlack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
We actually have two spyware/virus programmes running on our computer (recommended to us). One is AVG, and the other is called Spybot - which we have found to be excellent, as is AVG.

http://www.spybot.com

Spybot does "immunization" and stops anybody trying to download unofficial programmes by asking your permission first !

Hope that helps !
OpalsOnBlack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops... also meant to mention that Spybot is free, although they do ask for a "donation" when you can ....

You may be able to find some freeware for spyware/virus programmes at :
http://www.download.com

including Spybot itself.
baystatejem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, opalsonblack.

thank you so much for information. i will definitely try the programs you recommend from the site you mentioned.

it was really naive of me to assume that verizon security suite was free for verizon customers: when i actually went to the verizon site, it seemed to me that i was going to have to pay who knows how much. it stopped me right there, because the verizon tech support i spoke with made me "assume" it was free (because i mentioned our biz account which includes the security suite and she didn't say the software wasn't necessarily free for all accounts).

what was i thinking! as if any ever-growing monopolistic corporates were gonna give me anything free! it would be much safer to assume that they never want to provide complete security for any amount of fee. they make more money by fearmongering (if not outright creating the problems themselves!) and then selling "security" devices on top of their standard ware.

like the old folks say, "they don't make things like they used to." if they did, it would be against their own profit motive, duh!

predictably by now, my computer is still incredibly slow, and popups still come through, even after paying $39.99 (minus rebate yet to be received) for a year. and trust me the program is NOT made easy to use, either.

for the umteenth time, i will have to call the adware tech support this evening if i can make it before they close their shop.

maybe i'm going mad.

stay tuned, to find out!
baystatejem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpalsOnBlack wrote:
Hi,
We actually have two spyware/virus programmes running on our computer (recommended to us). One is AVG, and the other is called Spybot - which we have found to be excellent, as is AVG.

http://www.spybot.com

Spybot does "immunization" and stops anybody trying to download unofficial programmes by asking your permission first !

Hope that helps !

-------------
opals, where do you go to download AVG? just google?
OpalsOnBlack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You can find AVG on:
http://www.grisoft.com

I don't know if they still do their AVG Free, if they do they were talking about not "updating" it anymore at some time...... we bought their new programme which has Spyware/Virus combined (AVG 8.0). About $60. Pretty good, although you have to get used to their system, as anything !
I have found my computer a little slower as they scan any website you go on.... and put up virus warnings etc.and stop it downloading there and then (on the 8.0 programme). ( But a few close encounters of the third kind have been stopped in their tracks already!).

Spybot I have found excellent and seems to combine well with the AVG programme - and although free, their service is excellent as backup.
A good backup Spyware programme. (If you can't understand their website, go through the "Download" website URL.)

I do a couple of scans each week, both with AVG & Spybot.

I understand how hard it is when you're trying to figure out all this "computer stuff". I did so much reading when I started, I thought my eyes would turn permanantly red!

Hope this helps a bit, good luck !
baystatejem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opals.

to make a long story short, i will probably have to wipe out my hard drive and start all over again, or replace it with an upgraded system.

while i am running anti-virus programs, viruses seem to interfere (and confuse me) making the process impossibly slow, and popups keep on popping up. not enough "safe" time between scannings / removals, to install any "security system."

this is truly disgusting, but, hey, maybe this will be what it takes for me to upgrade my old system.

free AVG from c-net site was a little bit confusing, and a free-for-a-month-without-obligation trial version of standard AVG program can be downloaded from one of the links you provided.

i did download AVG trial version, and tried to run it (there was a scheduled scanning form but i couldn't get it to scan immediately after downloading, a bit confusing), but i couldn't see the progress: all i could see was "AVG running scanning." it may collide with stopzilla, which scans frequently and by default (i couldn't figure out how to change scanning modes, either, ha!).

i just left the computer as it was. who knows what's happenning to it now.

am i too dense to learn new tricks?

Last edited by baystatejem on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
hudsonrivertrader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: If all else fails Reply with quote

I have eliminated a lot of this on my machines by using "Crap Cleaner".

Go to ccleaner.com and give it a shot. And it's free.

George hudsonrivertrader.ecrater.com
aspencounty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@baystatejem....before you give up can I ask a couple of questions first?

What OS (Vista,XP, Win98 etc) are you using and do you know how to start your computer in "Safe Mode"?
baystatejem

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty wrote:
@baystatejem....before you give up can I ask a couple of questions first?

What OS (Vista,XP, Win98 etc) are you using and do you know how to start your computer in "Safe Mode"?

hi, aspen.

it has xp

and i have started it, once or twice in the past, in "safe mode" under tech support guidance, if by "safe mode" you mean "hitting F7 or some button madly right after restart and then sort of make a set of choices manually."

i would have to sit down and call either dell, microsoft, or verizon, all of which i dread to have to call as they will say my warranty has long expired or i have to call one of the others not them, or i'll waste a lot of time only to conclude i will have to pay one way or another....

i've been there and gave up on dell tech support when they said my warranty had expired after a month of sleepless nights - right after i purchased the system as new - following their instructions, same protocol but with different tech persons, without solutions. ever since, i don't want anything from dell even if it comes with a hundred dollar bill.

verizon and microsoft said it wasn't their problem.

in the bigger scheme of things, it's quite predictable: everyone is in it for money.

here is another story.

one day, the listing program i use for another site wouldn't start. i contacted the tech support, and followed their instruction, twice, with no result.

i contacted the tech support and received a LONG and complicated instructions by email, which i couldn't even open or print.

out of frustration, i decided to restart the computer. it worked fine from then on.

i have little to no appetite for this sort of things.

while i'm at it, i will tell a third story. for folks like me.

for our own web site, i bought "security certificate" for $100 from a hosting company, thinking that would make our site secure for ecommerce.

it turned out that it does NOT. apparently the hosting company can get the certificate - from whom i don't know - for our site without making it secure or proving it's secure.

i will have to go to another company and pay for "actually making the site secure" as the hosting company doesn't provide "security service".

i'm sure all this is simply obvious to computer whizes. i'm not one of them.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: