eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Is it normal for a lot of Unconfirmed Addresses?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cydonian

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Is it normal for a lot of Unconfirmed Addresses? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been on eCrater about a month and a half or so, and today I had my 3rd sale. So far, all have been paid by Paypal but with Unconfirmed Addresses, even though I ask for Confirmed Addresses. I haven't had a problem yet, (knock wood), but just wondering if others are seeing this, and how you feel about accepting them. I have been accepting them because they are not large amounts, but I can use the little extra $.

Thanks,
Ray
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think PayPal says any address is unconfirmed when it isn't an Ebay sale. At least that's what I've found. I always send them anyway and haven't had a problem.

Joyce
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: unconfirmed address Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been using Paypal for several years and have not had a problem yet with unconfirmed addresses. Very Happy I don't ever worry about it either. Sometimes people will add a little note that says they would like their item to be sent to a different address, because they may have purchased it for someone else. I always try to make sure I read the communication from Paypal carefully because I do not wish to miss any instructions from the customer.
Congratulations on your sales!
Lori
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never even look to see if an address is confirmed or not. I've not had a problem. Mail order and internet sales companies all have sell to/ship to options. We are part of that world whether we want to be or not.

As expensive as shipping is now, how could we compete in the industry if the shipping is $10 and the buyer then has to pay another $10 to send it on to the intended recipient? If we won't do it the next seller on the list will.
cydonian

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Unconfirmed Addresses Reply with quote

Joyce, I wondered why my own address showed as unconfirmed when I bought an item on here, when I know it is confirmed, so I'm sure you are right.

Lori, thanks for the congrats! My 3 sales have all been in about the last week, so it's encouraging to see some activity here.

Thank you ladies!

Ray
zickit

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

confirmed addressses are an ebay thing.

Buyers from your store do not even have to be registered with PayPal to pay you. You are simpling using PP as your credit card processor.
asaneagifts

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Unconfirmed Addresses Reply with quote

cydonian wrote:
Joyce, I wondered why my own address showed as unconfirmed when I bought an item on here, when I know it is confirmed, so I'm sure you are right.

Lori, thanks for the congrats! My 3 sales have all been in about the last week, so it's encouraging to see some activity here.

Thank you ladies!

Ray

*Congrats* on your sales!!!! Very Happy

For us, we ship to both unconfirmed and confirmed addresses. A sale is a sale! But for your own protection, you may want to consider adding a friendly reminder in your Terms & Conditions asking buyers to confirm their Ship To addresses if they show as unconfirmed via Paypal.

Confirmed addresses are important if you wish to use & are qualified for Paypal's 'Seller Protection Program' of which one requirement is that you only ship to 'Confirmed Addresses'.

FYI, from our experience, Paypal also shows 'Confirmed Addresses' for non-auction type payments. Payments for our online store shows customers with 'Confirmed Addresses' as well. Hope this helps!

Happy Selling!!!

http://asaneagifts.ecrater.com

Last edited by asaneagifts on Mon May 05, 2008 7:45 am; edited 2 times in total
zickit

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For us, we ship to both unconfirmed and confirmed addresses. A sale is a sale! But for your own protection, you may want to consider adding a friendly reminder in your Terms & Conditions asking buyers to confirm their addresses if they show as unconfirmed via Paypal.

Confirmed addresses are important if you wish to use & are qualified for Paypal's 'Seller Protection Program' of which one requirement is that you only ship to 'Confirmed Addresses'.

YOU can NOT do that! This is an online store not ebay.
If you walked into your local store do they tell you sorry, PayPal don't have you as a confirmed address you can not use your credit card here - NO they don't.
Online stores can't do that either.
You either agree to accept credit cards or you don't accept them.
Buyers do not have to register with PayPal to shop in your store
therefore unless the buyer is an ebay shopper - they probably never heard of PayPal before, certainly won't know what a PayPal confirmed address is.
asaneagifts

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Quote:
For us, we ship to both unconfirmed and confirmed addresses. A sale is a sale! But for your own protection, you may want to consider adding a friendly reminder in your Terms & Conditions asking buyers to confirm their addresses if they show as unconfirmed via Paypal.

YOU can NOT do that! This is an online store not ebay.
If you walked into your local store do they tell you sorry, PayPal don't have you as a confirmed address you can not use your credit card here - NO they don't.
Online stores can't do that either.
You either agree to accept credit cards or you don't accept them.
Buyers do not have to register with PayPal to shop in your store
therefore unless the buyer is an ebay shopper - they probably never heard of PayPal before, certainly won't know what a PayPal confirmed address is.

Sorry, I am not sure what you mean. We do not require that buyers have a 'Confirmed Address' as a condition for a sale. However, as needed, we sometimes confirm with our customers on the Ship To address if we see it is unconfirmed with Paypal.

It is, however, a requirement from Paypal in order for the sellers to benefit from the Sellers Protection Program.

Umm... actually, we receive numerous offers from airlines and retail stores which have special promotions linked with Paypal. Ie. Blue Nile, FTD.com, Ace Hardware... So perhaps more people will use Paypal beyond the auction house... Paypal has a Paypal Shops section which offers discounts to customers at these major retailers.
ContractorsCorner

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: unconfirmed addresses Reply with quote

You can set your payment preferences in your paypal account to only accept confirmed addresses or to ask you first.
We had a payment reversed for "unauthorized use of credit card" because we shipped to an unconfirmed address. We were not covered by seller protection and lost over $300. This was not on Ebay, but on our web site. Prior to this, we shipped to unconfirmed addresses on a regular basis.
Now we have our preferences set to accept confirmed addresses only on paypal. We often have customers requesting a package be sent to their work address. We direct them to Google checkout where they can enter a billing address and an alternative shipping address . Google will verify the billing address and either confirm or reject the order. We have never seen one rejected yet.
After the incident with paypal, I saw a book advertising "How to get things free when paying with paypal" which explained the lack of protection for the seller when an address is not confirmed. I guess that may be the reason we had no problems for years an then suddenly began hearing about many others having paypal reversals.
Most of our items are $200 and up. We are small, so I feel we can not take the risk. However, many sellers have never had a problem, so it is definitely a personal business decision which payment preferences are chosen. I would just hate to see anyone else learn the hard way, like I did.
bargainsforU

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of my customers who use Pay Pal are unconfirmed. Never had a problem at all!
supervaluezonebiz

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a previous reply mentioned, using 'Confirmed Address' with PayPal checkout is a smart policy because of PayPal's payment reversal mechanism for unauthorized use of credit cards and other issues.

PayPal is used by many online stores, not just eBay.
BTW, eBay also has online stores and the Buy It Now option with immediate payment required - thus eCrater and eBay services overlap. However, eCrater has One Big Advantage, it's Free. This lower cost structure enables us to sell for less!
wirelessdepot

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please dont make the mistake I did and hassle people about a confirmed address. I found out the hard way and lost a sale because I kept asking for one. I have a post here somewhere under my other store qualitydeals - Others here have told me to not be worried about it. They have been selling on here for years. Hope that helps you. Cool
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had well over 7000 transactions on ebay using Paypal. I never have checked for the confirmed address. If I am paid, I ship. I ship to whatever address the person wants and if they tell me it is a gift, I make a card on the computer and enclose it. Customers love it. But, I do this: All outgoing packages within the USA go out with Delivery confirmation so that I at least have that proof that an item was delivered if there is a problem.

When customers contact us for any reason, it is nice to be able to look online and tell them that their package was delivered 2 weeks ago, look on the porch or ask the family. One lady was wondering where her pattern was only to find out after I confirmed that her pattern arrived 3-4 days after order, that her husband (thinking he was doing her a favor) opened it, saw it was a pattern and stuck it in with all the rest of her patterns and forgot to tell her. You gotta love those guys!

We have enough sales that it is worth having a postage program for this. We use endicia and it has saved me hundreds of hours of standing in line at the post office. Using an on-line postage program, you can get discounts on things like delivery confirmation, and international Priority packages. One of those things that all sellers need to look into when they are selling enough each month to make it worthwhile--that would be about 10-20 packages a month.

Gail
http://MoonwishesStore.ecrater.com
asaneagifts

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:

When customers contact us for any reason, it is nice to be able to look online and tell them that their package was delivered 2 weeks ago, look on the porch or ask the family. One lady was wondering where her pattern was only to find out after I confirmed that her pattern arrived 3-4 days after order, that her husband (thinking he was doing her a favor) opened it, saw it was a pattern and stuck it in with all the rest of her patterns and forgot to tell her. You gotta love those guys!
Gail
http://MoonwishesStore.ecrater.com

LOL. Hey, gotta give the guy credit for at least trying to be considerate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: