eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Attributes ISBN 10 or 13, Title, hard cover or hardcover?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Attributes ISBN 10 or 13, Title, hard cover or hardcover? Reply with quote

I have reviewed the "Promote Store" section under Administration, section 7, for Google Attributes. I am adding attributes to some books, and some of them have two ISBN numbers, one is 10 characters and one is 13 characters. I added both of these. Is this correct, or will it confuse the Google search? Should I use only one ISBN number, and if so which one? Also, I put them in with no spaces, and wonder if this is correct?

Unless I missed it, the "Title" attribute is not on the list of attributes in the "Promote Store' section. Is it not supported by ecrater? Are the ones on the Promote Store section the only ones we should use? If others are not supported by ecrater, does this mean that they will not be picked up by Google, so we should not bother to use them?

I also read a discussion thread started on Oct. 23, 2007 by ecrater, and there was a very helpful example of a Google Attribute set up for a book. Under the "binding" attribute, the word "hard cover" was separated into the two words. Under the "promote store" section the word "hardcover" is one word. Does it matter how you put it (one word or two) in order to insure Google picking this up?

When I put the attributes in my listing, I see that they are invisible on the actual listing page. I read that this is the way it should be, so maybe what I did was correct? Is there some way to check to see if a listing includes Google Attributes (other than pulling up the product on Administration, where they were typed originally)?

Most of my antique and collectible items do not seem to fit many attributes, so I have just begun to research and attempt to add attributes to these new quilting and knitting books that I am listing. Books seem to fit well with Google attributes, if they are new enough to have ISBN numbers. Do others use Google Attributes on vintage and antique items - books as well as other items?

Thanks for any help you all can give!

VintageMoonbeams
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Attributes ISBN 10 or 13, Title, hard cover or hardcover Reply with quote

vintagemoonbeams wrote:
I have reviewed the "Promote Store" section under Administration, section 7, for Google Attributes. I am adding attributes to some books, and some of them have two ISBN numbers, one is 10 characters and one is 13 characters. I added both of these. Is this correct, or will it confuse the Google search? Should I use only one ISBN number, and if so which one? Also, I put them in with no spaces, and wonder if this is correct?

This is how I enter the ISBNs
[!isbn:044912505X, 9780449125052!]
since both 10 and 13 are acceptable variable, guess putting both in should be OK.
However, I have not tested to see if the page gets picked up at google products with just those.
vintagemoonbeams wrote:
Unless I missed it, the "Title" attribute is not on the list of attributes in the "Promote Store' section. Is it not supported by ecrater? Are the ones on the Promote Store section the only ones we should use? If others are not supported by ecrater, does this mean that they will not be picked up by Google, so we should not bother to use them?

Not every base attribute is supported by eCrater. Just use the ones on eCraters list. Do use the ones you can, because pretty soon Google will be looking only at the attributes to pick and categorize etc.
vintagemoonbeams wrote:
I also read a discussion thread started on Oct. 23, 2007 by ecrater, and there was a very helpful example of a Google Attribute set up for a book. Under the "binding" attribute, the word "hard cover" was separated into the two words. Under the "promote store" section the word "hardcover" is one word. Does it matter how you put it (one word or two) in order to insure Google picking this up?

I use "hardcover".
It would have helped to see the thread you mentioned, but it could be just a typo.
vintagemoonbeams wrote:
When I put the attributes in my listing, I see that they are invisible on the actual listing page. I read that this is the way it should be, so maybe what I did was correct? Is there some way to check to see if a listing includes Google Attributes (other than pulling up the product on Administration, where they were typed originally)?

They should not be visible.
No other way that I know of to check it, that it is visible in the listing when you look from your admin page and invisible when you look at the store site. However, this does not guarantie it is proper I think (I'm not sure of this one). Just that you got the format OK.
vintagemoonbeams wrote:
Most of my antique and collectible items do not seem to fit many attributes, so I have just begun to research and attempt to add attributes to these new quilting and knitting books that I am listing. Books seem to fit well with Google attributes, if they are new enough to have ISBN numbers. Do others use Google Attributes on vintage and antique items - books as well as other items?

If they don't have ISBN it is OK. You can still use author, year, publisher, pages, etc.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ACRead for all the answers. I will go back and change one that I did - I think I just put in 2 different ISBN line items for 10 and 13 character numbers. I will put them within the same attribute on the same line with a comma, as you have shown.

Have a great evening!

VintageMoonbeams
acread

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You too. Very Happy
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: ISBN 10 and 13 digit on books, attribute list Reply with quote

I did some more research on the ISBN number through Google Base Help Center. There is a link below which lists the Google Base Attribute List, and definitions on each one. This is what it says about the 10 digit and 13 digit ISBN numbers for books:

"isbn
The unique 10- or 13-digit number assigned to every printed book. Required for all books that were published after 1970. If you have both types of ISBN numbers available for a single book, you should include only the 13-digit number. "

Here is the link:

http://base.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78170&hl=en

I am thinking this might be the way to go? Also, I notice that their example format is somewhat different than the format in our "promote store" section. Just wondering what format to use?

Thanks for your help!

VintageMoonbeams
acread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the format given at eCrater. Since you are feeding it to eCrater system (not directly to Google Products). eCrater might be changing the format before feeding into Google products. So I wouldn't go with their form.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that does make sense that we should use ecrater's format. Thanks! ACRead, did you notice the part about only including the 13 character ISBN in the event you have both the 10 and 13? I think maybe that would be the way to go - what do you think?

Have a great day!

VintageMoonbeams
acread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that. I'm not sure about it though. I'll have to think on it a bit. I've been putting in both. It's no trouble to remove, but it will be really hard to put them back in. I probably need to check if stuff comes up at Google Products. That will show the way to go.

But don't stick with what I did. Might want to keep to ISBN 13 only.
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you DON'T use the ecrater format it will appear at the bottom of your item description when you preview it and it will NOT be sent to google.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it would be a bigger pain to have to put them back in later. Would have to go pull the book and/or look it up again. I appreciate your thought and input on this. I only have a few books listed now, and some more to list, so would like to get it right here at the beginning. Please let me know if you find out what the best way to go is.

Thanks again!

VintageMoonbeams
acread

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course. Very Happy
acread

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I did:
I put an ISBN attribute like this
[!isbn:0671470191, 9780671470197!]
on one of my bookmarks (so it never had "ISBN" in the description area).

Waited for 3+ days. I searched with both ISBN numbers separately. And the bookmark came up as the search result. So I guess it works.

As long as it works I don't see the problem. They both belong to the same book. If someone searches with one I would want my item to be in the results. My stuff gets stuck on the filters enough as it is. I think I am going to keep this way.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardcover vs hard cover

If you want to know which to use with Google, do a Google product search for say "Islands in the Stream" hard cover. If Google recommends hardcover, they will automatically change your search to the more preferred word.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: