eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Useful thing to know about Google Checkout
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Useful thing to know about Google Checkout Reply with quote

I learned something today.

In one of my stores that has it's own google checkout - different account then my main stream items, so I only go to that google checkout account when I get an order and payment notice on it.

Well, today I get an email from google checkout from the buyer wanting to know if their item shipped or not. I look at the name and it's not ringing any bells. I realise then that it's a this separate google checkout account so I go log in there - everything had been archieve there - my way of knowing the orders are all shipped and done with.

So I go to the archieve tab and I find her name from an order placed on March 3rd. I like what did I do!!! I know I didn't ship it - it's no where on my records or in the postage log.
I look at the charge
Mar 3 1:48 PM Order received
Mar 3 2:04 PM Authorization failed

Once it was failed - I chalked it up to a non-sale and archieved it.
HOWEVER,
Mar 6 5:14 AM Credit card update
Mar 6 5:14 AM Authorization successful
Mar 6 5:14 AM Charge initiated
Mar 6 5:14 AM Order charged

YEAH, you see that ??
THREE days later the sale went through. I never received another notice because Google Checkout don't send one - they only send the initial order notice.

This account does very little GC business so I never logo into it unless I get an order notice.

SO this is to let everyone know
IF you have a Authorization failed on a GC you need to keep on watching that account because it can turn into an Authorization successful without you even knowing about it.

I emailed and attempted to explain what happened and the item will go out in tomorrows mail but that's 13 days after the payment was made and I normally have things out much much faster then that. I just didn't know it worked that way!
I thought once it's failed it's failed - never thought it could change without a new order.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintage-advertising

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's it wonderful that we still get to learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the heads up on this.

So this was an account with a seperate checkout than your other stores.
So since I only have one google checkout for all stores then I should only be concerned with the one account? Correct?

But still be aware if it's not a successful charge that it can be a successful charge a few days later....thanks for the tip.

formely adventuress
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So since I only have one google checkout for all stores then I should only be concerned with the one account? Correct?

If you only have one Googel Checkout accoutn - yes, that's all you need to look at is the one you have.

Just so you know, you can not use one google checkout accoutn for different sites. Meaning, if you have one store here and one some where else it will not work properly due to the API callback. BUT that's a whole nother subject.
IncredibleClutter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just had a brain fart...
But -

Quote:
Just so you know, you can not use one google checkout accoutn for different sites. Meaning, if you have one store here and one some where else it will not work properly due to the API callback. BUT that's a whole nother subject.

If someone were to order from me directly or through another site, can I still invoice them through the Google acount I have for my eCCRATER stores?
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone were to order from me directly or through another site, can I still invoice them through the Google acount I have for my eCCRATER stores?

You can invoice them BUT you can't have 2 different SITES (not stores on ecrater) using one GC account - both sites need their own API callback URL in and gc only allows you one callback URL per account.
IncredibleClutter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks! Makes sense Very Happy

LOL, guess I better put some coffee on and wake up... Razz
my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same thing happen to me that happened to Big Tall.
However the only time I archive a google transaction is after I have received notice that the buyer has received the item. So I never miss a hic cup like the failed card. In fact it has happend several times and in the notice that Google send you about the failed card they do inform that they have contacted the buyer and the buyers has three days to update their credit card details.

Because I have a slightly different system in that my Google is not intergrated with the ecrater system I have to send a manual Invoice for each order, over forty invoices last month, my google order page is quite busy, but hey! Who wants to complain about a busy order page Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in the notice that Google send you about the failed card they do inform that they have contacted the buyer and the buyers has three days to update their credit card details.

I received NO NOTICE of this -- I received only the order notification. When I went to google at that time it said Authorization failed.
I don't babysit my buyers. It was FAILED so I archieved it.
This particulare store has alot of teen age shoppers. MANY orders never get paid. Sometimes I ever get the My mommy won't let me have it emails. So when payment don't come or isn't processed I don't worry about it.

I had no clue that Failed meant it might not be failed forever.
my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the order on Google

There is a record of the transactio, Order History

you should see an entry like this.

3 Dec 01:12 Authorisation failed The authorisation of the customer's credit card failed. Google has sent an email instructing the customer to update their card. If they fail to provide a valid card within three days, this order will be automatically cancelled by Google.

You will see the customer has three days to update any details.

I have had several and most have later gone through.
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You will see the customer has three days to update any details.

YES, but one would think that google could take the time to notify you AGAIN that the payment has gone though since it didn't go through when they sent the order notification email.

WHY tell me it's failed
if they are going to turn around and allow it later?
Why not keep it pending until such time they know one way or the other?

Failed to me means that it didn't work.
NOT that someone can come and do something to make it work 3 days later. I thought they would have to re-process the order. Because I deleted it.
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of my post is to let folks know that's how it works

I didn't have a clue that failed meant they can come back and make it work later.

hopefully this will help someone avoid what happened to me.
hoodat-teeshirts-andmore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. For now I have only one store but it is something to keep in mind for the future.
SnowflakesBooksandCollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, BigTall.

This is a very important customer service issue related to Google that could save us from a sale-gone-bad.

Susan
cacshack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you BigTall Very Happy I just signed up with google. I haven't added to my store here yet because I have 3 different websites and have already used the API address. I have been trying all day to find out if I had to set up another account with google for this store here and noone could help or did...LOL. Do I just have to open it up with another email address? And does that mean I would have to change my email address for this store as well? I'm so sorry if I'm asking to many questions or stupid questions I have just always used paypal and wanted to try this to give my customers an alternative payment choice.
Thank you for your help and for your time.
Melissa Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have been trying all day to find out if I had to set up another account with google for this store here and noone could help or did...LOL. Do I just have to open it up with another email address? And does that mean I would have to change my email address for this store as well?

You need a different email addy to open a different Google Checkout account.
You can use the same bank account but will need to verify it again.
The email on your eCRATER store and the email on your Google Checkout account do NOT have to be the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: