eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Help! Confused with Google Attributes and Values!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madjackbensmom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Help! Confused with Google Attributes and Values! Reply with quote

I'm confused -- a state of mind I seem to find myself in a lot lately!

I have a G icon next to all of my auctions for Google Attributes and Values. Please give me some direction on how to fill this out!

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

Michele
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been using Google Attributes before in your descriptions?

If you haven't go to your admin page "Promote My Store" section, and look at the attribute names supported by ecrater. Those are the ones you can use and choose from. The attribute values are based on your individual items.

For example:

You have a book published by Penguin in 2008. Look at the list you will see an attribute name "year" and an attribute "publisher"

You go to your poducts section click on the "G" button next to this books listing and on the first colunm where it says "Attribute name" you enter "year" in the next colunm where it says "Attribute value" you add "2008".

Similarly in the next row under "Attribute name" you enter "publisher" in the next colunm where it says "Attribute value" you add "Penguin".

(of course, without the "" marks. I used them just to draw attention)

You can add more than one value for any given attribute. just put a comma and a single space between them.

You do this for all your items individually.

If you use the copy button when listing, if you had attributes in the listing you are copying, you will have them in the new one.

Last edited by acread on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
madjackbensmom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Help! Confused with Google Attributes and Values! Reply with quote

Thank you so much!
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem Very Happy
mugzinnys

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: Good post Acread Reply with quote

Good post Acread

simple and to the point
tootalltom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to Google Base Attributes. Almost everything that I would be putting into them to describe an item is already in my item's title and it's definitely in my description--size, color, manufacturer, publisher, year, etc. Isn't that be enough? Wouldn't Google be picking up from that? And do we manually have to enter the brackets and the exclamation points, or just type in our terms? Thanks.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootalltom wrote:
I am new to Google Base Attributes. Almost everything that I would be putting into them to describe an item is already in my item's title and it's definitely in my description--size, color, manufacturer, publisher, year, etc. Isn't that be enough? Wouldn't Google be picking up from that?.

It would be enough for any search except for Google Product search (which is different than Google search engine, what you see at www.google.com.) Google Product search, also called Google Shopping ( http://www.google.com/prdhp?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wf ), is not going to read the descriptions of your product pages to match and bring them up as search results. That will be done strictly with the Attributes. It is an optional thing. You don't need to do it. But it will hinder you at Google Product search.

tootalltom wrote:
And do we manually have to enter the brackets and the exclamation points, or just type in our terms? Thanks.

No brackets exclamation marks. Just do what I described above. (eCrater creates the paranthesis and the exclamation marks on its own. and places them at the bottom of the description.) Just test entering some. Then save it and click the edit button, scroll to the bottom to see it what happened.

Last edited by acread on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: This is a nightmare Reply with quote

This looks to me to be a nightmare.

With 17 storesthis could take the rest of the year up.

So many questions.

What language do we use?

English as in English or the version Americans call English.

For Colour do we use English Colour, or color as used in America?

Where do we find the 'values' required for each product? I am sure the values for a Stamp First Day Cover are very different to those for a Second Hand Hair Dryer or a Pizza Cut Knife.

Have just crawled through Google and found little specific help there.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
Since Google is an American company, I guess you won't have problems with American way of spelling things. For "Attribute names" use them as exactly the way eCrater is giving them (you can find them in "Promote My Store" section of your admin page). The same spelling. For Attribute values (despite what the word "values" makes you think these are not numbers but string of characters, mostly words that describe the quality) use either American or UK or both spellin just to be safe depending where most of your customers are located who search the Google Product search and are likely to enter when they are using searches.

For each product you will need to enter attributes (names and values) you pick specificly for that product. So "isbn" (ISBN) might be an attribute name to pick for a book but not for a hair dryer. The value of the "isbn" attribute would be the 10 or 13 digit number specific for that book. Or if you have publisher for the book let's say Granada: Attribute name would be publisher (from the list on promote my store section) and the attribute value would be "Granada"

Last edited by acread on Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
vintagedreams

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Confused with Google Attributes and Values! Reply with quote

madjackbensmom wrote:

I have a G icon next to all of my auctions for Google Attributes and Values. Please give me some direction on how to fill this out!

Michele

I am so confused about this G icon. I tried to put in for example Brand and then the brand of the item but I get errors stating that it's not acceptable. Can anyone somehow post what it should look like on that page? I tried almost all night long and nothing worked. HELP!
Cindy
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Confused with Google Attributes and Values! Reply with quote

vintagedreams wrote:
madjackbensmom wrote:

Michele

I am so confused about this G icon. I tried to put in for example Brand and then the brand of the item but I get errors stating that it's not acceptable. Can anyone somehow post what it should look like on that page? I tried almost all night long and nothing worked. HELP!
Cindy

Usually these types of things are case sensitive. So Attribute Name "Brand" is not the same thing as "brand" (which is the form eCrater has it at the list on "Promote My Store" section of the admin page. please tric to them strictly)

For Attribute values you can put anyway you like as long as it applies to your product.
vintagedreams

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much. Thats what I was doing wrong.
tootalltom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a nightmare Reply with quote

my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine wrote:
This looks to me to be a nightmare.
With 17 stores this could take the rest of the year up.

I hear you! It will take three times as long to list anything, but if it helps the item get found on Google Shopping, it might be worth the hassle.

I have some questions, though. How do we handle multiple words? For example, if the brand is Tommy Hilfiger, do I just type that in, or do I need to type Tommy_Hilfiger with an underline between the two words?

Also, can we use the same attribute multiple times? For example, for "occasion," could I write "holidays", then use the same "occasion attribute and type in "Christmas" ... on two separate lines? Or just on one line, with commas between them?

Thanks.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: This is a nightmare Reply with quote

tootalltom wrote:
I have some questions, though. How do we handle multiple words? For example, if the brand is Tommy Hilfiger, do I just type that in, or do I need to type Tommy_Hilfiger with an underline between the two words?

Also, can we use the same attribute multiple times? For example, for "occasion," could I write "holidays", then use the same "occasion attribute and type in "Christmas" ... on two separate lines? Or just on one line, with commas between them?

Thanks.

You write

Attribute Name............Attribute Value
occasion......................holidays, Christmas
brand..........................Tommy Hilfiger
product_type...............jacket

For Attribute names stick to exact typing of them given in the list at "Promote My Store" with the _ instead of space. For Attribute values use space. for more than one use comma then space (I already typed this on my post above, please read more carefully, so we don't keep repeating the same points)
tootalltom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, AC. Appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: