eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

thers a new law to take effect in california
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wowwireless

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: thers a new law to take effect in california Reply with quote

dear ecrater in california,

theres a new law that will take effect on july 1 2008.

all california drivers will have to use hand- free devices if you wana use your cell phone while driving. more info on this issue is provided below.

just giving you the heads up before you get fined. so you might wana visit my store Laughing

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/cellularphonelaws/index.htm

giving you the heads up
wowwireless
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ought to have those laws every where. They have had them in Chicago for quite a while but no where else in Illinois. It should be though. I don't know how many times I have almost gotten in a wreck with someone many times due to them on the phone and not paying attention to what they're doing. I don't use mine unless someone else is driving or I pul over.

Joyce
mswagsandcrafts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have that law here in PA. No one follows it, in fact since the law took place it looks like more and more people are using them while driving! Whenever I see people driving and talking on a cell phone, I think to myself I wish I was an undercover cell phone police officer Laughing Maybe that's what it will take in order for people to realize it's not safe, and that the law is the law Rolling Eyes
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much traffic where I live and people waiting at intersections for a break so they can turn, backing out of driveways while on their phones, passing and cutting in and out at 90 mph while on the phone. It scares the livin' daylights out of me to be on the road with them.

The ultimate is the mom with an SUV full of kids, a cigarette in her steering hand and a cell in the other. What's so darn important it can't wait? My mom used to pick us up after school, drop off two or three of our friends, and get everyone home safe without needing to check in with anyone. And no one loved to talk on the phone more than my mom.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is MUCH worse then folks that hold the phone and talk and drive all at the same time
ARE the folks that think they can drive and send text messages on the phone at the same time.
I HATE that! The kids - unexperienced drivers in the first place - are the ones that do this the most!
Texting and driving at the same should be outlawed EVERY WHERE!
yellowrose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: thers a new law to take effect in california Reply with quote

I am guilty of talking on my cell phone while driving. However, I do think there should be a law against it for everyone (others Laughing ). It is dangerous and distracting.

Now that I am on my soap box.....another thing that is distracting and dangerous are people who turn their steros so loud you can't hear anything or anyone. I've often wondered how they hear ambulances, fire trucks and police. I can stop at a red light and someone will have music blaring next to me.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure for this law! True story, and why I don't use the phone while driving. We were stopped in line, waiting for someone to turn into a parking lot..not moving, mind you! Suddenly we feel a large impact. When it was over, we looked in the rear-view mirror and there was a car up on the trunk of ours!
Being a trained medic, I got out immediately and went to see if anyone was hurt...this girl (maybe 20) was STILL talking on the phone! She admitted to the cop that she never even saw the line of cars stopped in front of her...cost her $5000, so I hope it was an important call.

Just an aside..satellite phones are great, you don't touch anything to talk, it comes through the onstar. It also picks up in all these isolated places out here where cell towers don't exist.
wowwireless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mswagsandcrafts wrote:
We have that law here in PA. No one follows it, in fact since the law took place it looks like more and more people are using them while driving! Whenever I see people driving and talking on a cell phone, I think to myself I wish I was an undercover cell phone police officer Laughing Maybe that's what it will take in order for people to realize it's not safe, and that the law is the law Rolling Eyes

there's no hand free driving law in pennsylvania, back in december they voted on it but never got passed, it shoud though.
yellowrose

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: thers a new law to take effect in california Reply with quote

TexasTreasures wrote:
I'm sure for this law! True story, and why I don't use the phone while driving. We were stopped in line, waiting for someone to turn into a parking lot..not moving, mind you! Suddenly we feel a large impact. When it was over, we looked in the rear-view mirror and there was a car up on the trunk of ours!

Being a trained medic, I got out immediately and went to see if anyone was hurt...this girl (maybe 20) was STILL talking on the phone! She admitted to the cop that she never even saw the line of cars stopped in front of her...cost her $5000, so I hope it was an important call.

That was an expensive phone call!
aspencounty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just getting old but the way some folks, especially the younger ones, use and think about cell phones simply amazes me. I can't for the life of me think of anything so important that you need to talk or text message while driving. We have them but on the road they would only be used for emergencies not for casual conversation while navigating the freeways at 70 mph.

I saw on the news recently about a high school somewhere that wanted to ban cell phones in class rooms. It just blew me away that some of the parents got in such an uproar over it and defended the kids "rights" to have cell phones in class. When I was in high school about the only right I had was the right to sit quietly and pay attention..or at least pretend I was. I sure don't envy today's teachers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty wrote:
Maybe I'm just getting old but the way some folks, especially the younger ones, use and think about cell phones simply amazes me. I can't for the life of me think of anything so important that you need to talk or text message while driving. We have them but on the road they would only be used for emergencies not for casual conversation while navigating the freeways at 70 mph.

I saw on the news recently about a high school somewhere that wanted to ban cell phones in class rooms. It just blew me away that some of the parents got in such an uproar over it and defended the kids "rights" to have cell phones in class. When I was in high school about the only right I had was the right to sit quietly and pay attention..or at least pretend I was. I sure don't envy today's teachers

We must be the same age Aspen. When I went to high school midriffs and butts had to be well covered. You got expelled for smoking in the bathrooms and detention if caught necking in the corridors. There was no such thing as a cell phone, Walkman, Blackberry, Ipod etc. Believe it or not I got educated, made it through grad school and got jobs without any of that.

Now it seems schools only serve one purpose--places to hook-up, have sex, do drugs, and sue teachers for interfering. They have tried to make students deposit their cells and other devices on the teacher's desks as they entered the classroom and met the same opposition Aspen mentions.
Thank God I quit teaching before schools had deteriorated this much.

You know that book "Everything I Know I Learned in Kindergarten"? I'm of the belief that if you haven't learned it by then there isn't much chance you will learn it for the next 12 years.

By the way, in most places it is illegal to sell cigarettes to under 18s. So why do high schools provide smoking pits for their students?
aspencounty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:

By the way, in most places it is illegal to sell cigarettes to under 18s. So why do high schools provide smoking pits for their students?

Wow, you know that never occurred to me but you are right. I drove past my high school a while back back and right out front was an area with several benches and a great big sign saying " designated smoking area". Must have been a hundred kids there smoking away...and talking on their phones. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty wrote:
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:

Wow, you know that never occurred to me but you are right. I drove past my high school a while back back and right out front was an area with several benches and a great big sign saying " designated smoking area". Must have been a hundred kids there smoking away...and talking on their phones. Wink

And your taxes are paying for it.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must just live in more liberal parts of the country. It is against the law to smoke on school property at all, in Texas, not even in the football stadium. Cell phones are taken up in my school if we catch the kids using them..when one rings in class, everyone freezes, waiting to see who got caught. Teachers take them up, and it costs $15 to get it back from the office the first time...the next time Mom and Dad have to come pay the fine themselves.
In the high school this year, we took up enough cell phones in classes for the entire faculty to have a steak dinner for everyone at our end of the year meeting. We love taking up phones!
That's how they caught a drug dealer and gang member, also. I had caught him flashing gang signs and reported him to our school police. The same day, the algebra teacher caught him on the phone between classes..when the principal checked his phone to see who he was talking to, it was a known dealer..We got a two for one deal out of that bust!
mswagsandcrafts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wowwireless wrote:
mswagsandcrafts wrote:

there's no hand free driving law in pennsylvania, back in december they voted on it but never got passed, it shoud though.

You know what I just asked my husband, and he said that they did do away with it, so that's news to me Laughing It still infuriates me though, because it can't possibly be that important that it can't wait until you park! Better yet what happened to those days when there weren't cell phones?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: