eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

A new shipping question... Im having a hard time with this

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catchadreamenterprises

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: A new shipping question... Im having a hard time with this Reply with quote

Hi all...

Im not really good at this whole shipping/pricing thing. As of now, I just have fixed shipping for all of my items and as I am a dropshipper... I do not have easy access to all of the items weight so I am reluctant to take that route.

Anyway what I am getting at is this:

I would like to offer a deal where my customers can get free shipping for orders that total lets say $100 or more or something like that. HOW DO I SET THIS UP? Confused

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have to do that manually. Include the offer in all your descriptions and on your terms page and state that you will either refund the shipping or they can wait for an invoice. They can do that with PP but GC will not notify you of the sale if no payment is made.

I didn't look to see what kind of items you are selling but make sure you won't lose money on the offer. For instance if someone bought 2 $50 lamps each weighing 5 pounds, you wouldn't make much money on the deal.

I would think your shipper would supply you with weight information. You might ask them to.

I looked at your site after the fact. The one item I checked was a fabric pig figurine. 10 inches long. That has to be boxed and no way will it ship for $3.99. If the shipper has already included the shipping in the price to you, then a token amount or shipping included will work but if the shipper is going to add shipping to their cost to you, then your shipping fees won't work. I'm not a drop shipper so I don't know how it works.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be really cautious of making an offer like that when you don't know the weight of the items, or you sell a large variety of items.
$100 worth of hairbows won't cost much to mail. $100 worth of pots and pans will, and I don't know what your margin of profit is, but the postage could take most of it!
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: A new shipping question... Im having a hard time with th Reply with quote

catchadreamenterprises wrote:
Hi all...

Im not really good at this whole shipping/pricing thing. As of now, I just have fixed shipping for all of my items and as I am a dropshipper... I do not have easy access to all of the items weight so I am reluctant to take that route.

Anyway what I am getting at is this:

I would like to offer a deal where my customers can get free shipping for orders that total lets say $100 or more or something like that. HOW DO I SET THIS UP? Confused

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've helped someone set that up by using the shipping matrix in a different way (the link for the info is in the second post from the bottom in this topic http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2461 ). But the main reason it worked was the shipping costs below that set dollar amount (in your case the $100) were constant. The sellers items were small and you could put a number of them in the same package and mail it for the same price. In your case the weight would be significant. Your items are larger, heavier. So I don't think it would fit you.

That is to say, I don't think there is any other way than to determine how much the packaged weight of the items would be (even a rough number would be OK) and figure out with shipping calculator (at USPS site if that is your carrier) based on shipping methods you use and the distances you ship to, then either set up the shipping matrix or enter shipping values for each item in the listing page.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: