eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

What do you Collect?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: What do you Collect? Reply with quote

There is always a thread going about what is collectible and what is not. I think it might be fun, as well as beneficial to those people here who are not packrats and don't understand, to list some of the odd things that people do collect! So please tell us what items you like to hunt for, receive as gifts, and just have around because they make you happy!

Me? I'm a chronic offender when it comes to collecting:
1940-50s Bandera pottery from Mexico
Buddhas-not the ceramic or resin jobs, but unique ones
Old Mexican silver jewelry
Old advertising-large items for the kitchen, teeny tiny things like sample tins, salesmen samples
Books-1800's, early 1900's-my oldest is late 1700's.
Antique keywound clocks-oldest is 1836 and has wooden gears-and still works!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a collection going now but I've had some in the past.

As a child I collected stamps. I have still have that collection plus my fathers. It will eventually appear here.

We collected Homer Lauglin china. Before eBay. Ended up with over 200 copier boxes in the basement plus a bunch around the house. At one point I restricted it to pre-WWII. Then pre 1930s. Then came eBay, the decision to eventually relocate and sold most of it.

Then I collected Wade Whimsies for a while. They are small and don't take a lot of space. (or mysteriously multiply into 200 copier boxes)

The experts say that three or more make a collection, so I guess at one time we (hubby and I) had an antique car collection. (Well, friends called it a used car collection because they think any thing after WWII is a used car). We had a 1953 Mercury station wagon under restoration, a 1950 Chevy sedan that had been a 'daily driver' up until the year we purchased it. We also had a 1950 Pontiac Station wagon in original condition. The tailgate party display for this one launched the Fiesta/Homer Laughlin collection. Polly, as we affectionately called her, had a wood interior and 'faux' wood exterior. The process was called Dinox and the chemicals used to create the affect of a wood finish are now banned. At car shows you put a placard in the window identifying the make/model/ year and any special features. DH would write "My wife made me buy this car." (True) We got a lot of laughs. The cars, like the china, were sold before moving here to Tennessee.

As I child, post cards were souvenirs of family trips. And some were sent from friends for my stamp collection. They were part of the pre-move eBay inventory that actually moved with us. Then I expanded the numbers. I enjoy them immensely so I guess they still count as something I collect (even if eventually I intend to sell them all!).
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL-I forgot about my dinnerware! But I don't really consider it a collection, since we use it.

But if 3 or more make a collection, we're in trouble here.
YardSaleBargains

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect:

* Wheat pennies - Doing that since I was a teenager (about 30 years)

* The new "State" quarter coins (They come out every year)

* Shot glasses (souverirs from all of the places I've been to) - I have 3 full display cabinets now hanging on my wall.....it's a good thing they all have glass doors otherwise what a pain to have to dust all of those little glasses!

Very Happy
noadi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect pets. Current count: 2 dogs, 2 cats, 6 chickens, 3 pheasants, 4 goats, 2 rabbits, a pig, a llama, and a gecko. The poor pig doesn't know his time is limited, but the rest of the animals are all safe from eating (even the chickens, I plan to eat their eggs when they're old enough) and are treated as pets.
BellsBeautyBox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocking horses.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: I collect Reply with quote

USA and McCoy animal planters. I really like the way they feel when I pick them up. Isn't that weird? Its a psychic connection thing, I think. I also like to find anything that has Spanish words on them because I can take them to school and if they are wearable, wear them in class. My hubby likes Jack Russell dog things because our third son is a Jack Russell dog named Duke. So you can buy him anything with Jack Russells on it and he is happy.
Very Happy Lori
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I taught PreK and was teaching letters, I used to collect pins (brooches) of objects that started with different letters. When we were learning D, I'd wear dogs, dinosaurs, etc. Bears for B week, etc. The kids loved it!
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I'm a cat collector. I have quite a few listed in MaggieTheCatsMeows ecrater store but have hundreds more to list. Last time I moved I filled 20 boxes with cat collectibles and that didn't include the jewelry and not displayed cats. I have threatened people who give me gifts that anyone who buys me cats as gifts from here on will receive a 10 cat bequest for every cat given. Doesn't work. I still get half a dozen or so every Christmas. Maybe they want the whole collection.

I used to collect art works that had a street or path in it. No matter where I lived I grouped the collection on one art wall. No one ever noticed until my niece who was then a teen suddenly interrupted the family get-together to announce her discovery. The fact is that even I didn't notice as I was collecting them for quite some time. Some got stolen in a robbery and I've stopped buying more but scenes with a path of some kind are still my favorite subject matter.

I collect books or maybe I should say books amass. I'm trying to sell some in TheArtsAndLettersOfMaggieTheCat but have hundreds more to list.

I collect vintage kitchen utensils. I use many of them but have been trying to list those I don't in MaggieTheHouseCat.

Collecting is fun, especially if you collect vintage items because the hunt is 99% of it.
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so true, Maggie! I collect a lot of things for the kids, just because I enjoy hunting for them..Texas postcards, metal souvenir buildings, bakelite bracelets..every child, child in law and grandchild has some collection that I have started for them-just because I enjoy prowling through antique shops and flea markets!
LindasDollClothesandCollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect-
Cats
Dolls from the 60s and 70s, especially Liddle Kiddles
Disney Items
Campbell Soup Items
Snow Globes
Boyds Bears
Angels
Egyptian Items

probably more that I'm forgetting...... Very Happy

So much stuff and no where to put it. Laughing But yes, the thrill of hunting for that treasure is so much fun!
yellowrose

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: What do you Collect? Reply with quote

Vintage dolls mainly from the 50's and 60's
Books
Angel Figurines
Ty Beanie Babies
a few anitques

Some I am forgetting, too!
TexasTreasures

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the bears-they are packed up until Christmas. Then we do a 7 ft tree with little teddy bears-Ty, Boyd's, etc. Makes a cute tree!
kjscreations

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my main collection is shot glasses, only from places friends, family or I go. I don't pick them up at yardsales or thriftstores. I have a ton from when I managed a charter bus company. My drivers brought me shot glasses from all over the country & canada. I even have one from Cheers in Boston.

I sorta ended up collecting LP's.... someone would find boxes & figured I'd sell them. Alot of 78 sets & then 60's-80's

I don't dare collect anything else... they will just end up on ebay LOL
(you know you are an ebayer when you have to PROMISE your MIL you won't list that christmas gift she just gave you... LOL)
ArgonEmpire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Umm....Geek Stuff Reply with quote

My freinds and I collect replica movie props and hard to find toys.

Pretty much everything we have for sale here on ecrater. Very Happy

http://argonempire.ecrater.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: