eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How much money can you make selling on-line?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
islandscreativeexpressions

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: How much money can you make selling on-line? Reply with quote

Others have said that many made thousands and few made millions. Can this really be possible considering the rat race of online sellers chasing customers to buy their products? As prices of commodities hike up each year how many customers do you think will spend money on accessories and not on necessities? Would you spend that money on new shirt or gas-up your tank?

With these shadow of doubts, many hopeful businessmen still fixed their eyes on a silver-lining inspired by successful entrepreneur who constantly wish for more. I guess competition and economy are nothing compared to hope and the mere fact that human being are genetically geared to buy.

How much money do you think you can make online? I guess you would not know unless you try. How much do you make?

Islands Creative Expressions
http://islandscreativeexpressions.ecrater.com/
Unique Handcrafted Jewelries Just For You
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
noadi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millions are pretty hard to earn on or offline. Thousands on the other hands are reasonable. Plenty of people earn some or all of their income online. I make probably 75% of my sales online since I only do a few art shows a year and have my work in one gallery (soon no gallery since it's closing), plus I also make some money online not directly related to selling my work with Squidoo and other sites. I should also point out that I don't have a "real job" this is what I do for a living. I'm far from rich but I am happy doing this.

There is a lot of competition online and you have to work hard to be noticed but it's doable. Regardless of whether you're trying to build a business online or in a physical shop it's tough, most businesses fail to get off the ground. That's just the reality of things, you have to take a few risks and accept the possibility it might not work out.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How much money do you think you can make online? I guess you would not know unless you try. How much do you make?

You can make as much or as little as you want.
It all is about how much you really want to work your butt off.
If you list and do nothing more you make little.
If you list and promote and have multiple stores and work hard at search engine ranking etc etc then yes you can make a million a year or more.

My best month ever was $7000 PROFIT
customcandles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Naodi.... thousands is a reasonable goal.... but you should have several sites & work non-stop on promoting.

To make millions.... the only way I see that happening is if you developed something like facebook....myspace....yahoo....ebay & were willing to sell out.

I don't have a "real job" either.... all my income is from online & then I do get some child support. That's it. Do I have a ne fur coat.... snake skin boots .... brand new Caddy???? No.... but I still have lights, heat, cable, roof over our head & food.
my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will decide how much you make.

My online stores are a full time business. I now make a very good income, but I work perhaps 10 hours a day and almost 7 days a week every week. I was on line at 8.30 am this morning and it is now 23.27pm and I just taking a payment from a buyer in whichever state is MD.

I did have one nice 40 min break today when I went for a walk in the sunshine with my 2 year old daughter to the Post Office to send some of my sold packages Very Happy

But in return in the last five months not only have we lived very well I have just bought another property in Bulgaria with the clear profits, and before that I bought a property in New York State as a future investment.

The money is there to be had but you have to believe this is a full time business and like so many I see come and go, you cannot just put items in store, place a few advertsing links and sit and wait for the money to roll in. If you do, you will be one of the 9 out of 10 who in 12 months have packed up or are posting questions in the forum about why they have no sales.

Good Luck. Always remember that the more you put in, the more you get out Smile
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the more you put in, the more you get out

That's exactly it.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asking how much people make selling online is like comparing pomegranates and bananas. One is available a couple months a year, is expensive and a pain to prepare. The other is available all year long, is relatively inexpensive and easy to eat.

You are right that sales of non-essentials like jewelry and knick-knacks will suffer before sales of clothing and all the promotion in the world is not going to change that when buying frills means not paying school fees or electric.

BigTall sells discounted, for the most part practical, clothing among other things and I would bet that store brings in the bulk of their income. Ukraine lets no grass grow beneath his feet and it pays off for him. He preys Laughing on collectors among other things.

But I have seen my sales go from a flood to a trickle. You would have a hard time finding anything in one of my stores that you absolutely had to have to have a good quality of life.

On the upside, the price of gas has canceled out the price of shipping. Consider that for the time and gas it takes to get to the nearest mall or shopping area, and the possiblility of coming back home exhausted and empty handed, you can shop on line, get the laundry done at the same time, save money on baby-sitter and have a choice of millions of items.

To compete in this market your store has to be in tip top condition. Lots of bright inviting pictures, complete descriptions and fair shipping.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make enough online to pay for gas every week, YAH HOO!
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BigTall sells discounted, for the most part practical, clothing among other things and I would bet that store brings in the bulk of their income.

Lately I been making a great amount of my income from earrings, dogtags, totebags, etc - not clothing at all.
estoretronics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: It is possible Reply with quote

You can definitely make money online. The last company I worked for I took from 60 orders a day to 300 in a year and a half, I had them up to $5,000,000 a year by the time I left. I took a job with a new comer and I am hoping to build that even higher.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! and I am happy just being able to make enough to fill my gas tank. I get more out of it than the money though. I love talking to people from all over, especially about my hobbies.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a woman that started on ebay selling Burger King Happy Meal toys once they were not the current one available. She know has something like a 2500 sq ft wareghouse and 2 or 3 full time employees. She started with the BK toys but moved on to bigger toys
Trust me she isn't hurting
BUT she like most successful online sellers I know - works her butt off! 16 hour days easy. And Christmas Season I think she just pulls out the cot and sleeps at the warehouse! (Nah, she hires seasonal workers - but does put in long long days and nights)

It not only takes TIME promoting but researching what is selling and what is sitting. Spreadsheets, graphs, calculations, etc etc --- you got to figure out the tends.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think successful selling on line is that much different than succeeding in any occupation. You get out of it what you put into it.

If you tend to be late for work, dress like a slob, only half pay attention to instructions, and never check your work, you won't last long or get promoted unless you work for your father.

When you look at the mess of some stores here, you know that they never reread their work or ran a spell-check or thought about anything except when is the money going to start pouring into their bank accounts.

I'm retired and while I would like my sales to be better than they are, I'm not willing to put more time in than I do already. I do get enough each month to pay a couple bills and keep the cat happy.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The description if how many hours you need to work to sell successfully on line are really no different than what it takes to have a successful business.

Even brick and mortor store owners need to take time and search for new product. Time to do the bookkeeping (pay the bills etc).

Professionals are in the same boat...my father was a professional photographer. In May, June and July he worked every Saturday doing weddings. He did the consults (pre and post wedding) during the week. As well as his commercial photography. And portraits? He found himself working at 9pm because he wanted commuters to go home, eat supper and unwind - the daily stress would then be gone from their faces. When my brother took over the business he also started offering family portrait packages where on family holidays (Mothers Day in particular) he'd come to your house and photograph the family on those rare occasions when everyone was together. Yes, he worked on Christmas eve.
estoretronics

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Work Smart Not Hard Reply with quote

I am all for working hard, but never underestimate the power of working smart. You can bust your butt and get know where, but when you use your head, you are able to actually reach your goals.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: