eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

USPS Shipping Calculator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SheilaDeesPostcards

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: NO ship charges OR FREE SHIPPING items charged 4 shippin Reply with quote

electric-fragrance-oil-warmers wrote:
next order:
for 2 35watt halogen bulbs for the electric oil warmers [sold at 2 for one price] and FREE SHIPPING. I do have it set on that item for free ship, but they were charged for the weight I had entered- MUST enter a weight - I had weight set at 0.25 so they were charged less than 2$. WHY WERE THEY CHARGED ANYTHING?? - IF the usps server had timed out again, and it defaulted to matrix, it still should have been free shipping!

I wanted to be clear on this issue for myself. It's my understanding that if you are using the USPS calculated shipping AND you want an item to ship for free ... then the weight must be entered as 0.00. You can't leave the weight blank, but you have to enter 0.00 for the free shipping to work. Would someone confirm that this is correct for both myself and electric-fragrance-oil-warmers.
Thanks
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
electric-fragrance-oil-warmers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is what would make sense to me- but BT said

You can not mix USPS calculatoor and fixed price or free shipping.

sooooo. don't know how you supposed to give free shipping- according to that- you can't!!
NoseyParkersNook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Using both USPS Calculator and fixed price Reply with quote

Although I've read that we can't use both the USPS calculator and fixed price shipping for different items it seems that if I put in a weight of 0.00 the calculator reverts to my fixed price.

This seems to be working and enables me to use both. Is there something I'm not noticing or understanding?
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Using both USPS Calculator and fixed price Reply with quote

NoseyParkersNook wrote:
Although I've read that we can't use both the USPS calculator and fixed price shipping for different items it seems that if I put in a weight of 0.00 the calculator reverts to my fixed price.

This seems to be working and enables me to use both. Is there something I'm not noticing or understanding?

It LOOKS like it works BUT when the item is purchased it will use the USPS calculator for the shipping cost, then you won't be happy that they got charged zero
treasuresofthepast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoseyParkersNook wrote:

It does work for domestic shipping as long as you can be sure that the customer buys only this specific item (yes, with 0.00 weight, the USPS calculator will revert to your $x.xx fixed shipping). It will not work if the customer ends up buying multiple items. The items with weight of 0.00 will come up as free shipping and shipping for remaining items will be calculated by the calculator. In other words, the buyer will not be charged $x.xx fixed shipping plus $x.xx calculated shipping for all items in their shopping cart - only $x.xx calculated shipping.

If you don't ship internationally, you can use the USPS calculator and fixed shipping as a backup in case the calculator fails, rarely but it does happen. However, you should never put in the weight of the item as 0 if you don't want to eat the shipping costs.
NoseyParkersNook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for responding.

I've been reading and reading and I can't seem to come up with a solution that I like. I have no problem on my other ecrater store which is all postcards and the matrix works fine.

But I can't seem to find a good solution for a store that sells both items that I ship priority mail and items that I ship by first class mail. When I used the calculator with both first class and priority, a customer who purchased a poster that I ship in a tube ($4.95 priority) was able to choose first class mail for .44 because of the light weight.

I would really like to use the calculator but I guess it's back to the drawing board.
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For items that you don't want shipped first class just put in a weight that is over 13 oz. and it won't let them choose first class.
NoseyParkersNook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that would definitely work for paper items like posters.

I was getting too fancy with myself by entering things like posters at a very low weight so that people could buy more than one and still have the same shipping charge.

What do you do about combining shipping in that case?
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't worry about it unless someone asks or if it ends up that they pay much more than actual shipping I will offer them a refund but I have never had anyone ask. I have voluntarily done it for a few.
simplyyourfashion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Shipping Calculator Reply with quote

Okay I think I get it.
So i can enable this calculator so it will give the customers exact shipping cost for the united states, Alaska, and Hawaii.
If an International customer wants to buy a product, they will get the cost that I put inside the Shipping Matrix for their location?
Is that about right??
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Calculator Reply with quote

simplyyourfashion wrote:
Okay I think I get it.
So i can enable this calculator so it will give the customers exact shipping cost for the united states, Alaska, and Hawaii.
If an International customer wants to buy a product, they will get the cost that I put inside the Shipping Matrix for their location?
Is that about right??

Yes, but...

You should have backup values in the shipping matrix, even if you expect the calculator to normally supply the correct postage. If you do not put any numbers in the shipping matrix (say for the US), and the USPS servers are getting hit hard, then you might see an order arrive with zero for the shipping cost.
anothertimeantiques

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering moving to the calculated shipping.

One question remaining about the backup part and matrix. I currently have a matrix that is specialized for the smaller weight sections.
Ex: #4 is actually priced for a 10 oz package - it is not a 4 lb pkg

If I go to calculated shipping and put in correct weight amount on each product (I shudder at the work this will take...), will the backup matrix still work as is "used to" and look at price set in column 4?

Ex: I have a plate that ships at 2lbs. Set my calculated shipping weight at 2. Does #2 on the matrix table also have to actually be 2lbs now?
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I go to calculated shipping and put in correct weight amount on each product (I shudder at the work this will take...), will the backup matrix still work as is "used to" and look at price set in column 4?

Ex: I have a plate that ships at 2lbs. Set my calculated shipping weight at 2. Does #2 on the matrix table also have to actually be 2lbs now?

the matrix is based on the weight you enter. The number across the top row of the matrix is equal to pounds.
You manipulated the system which as it turns out didn't work so well for you because there are many other things that look at the weight - like the google feed.

You really should enter the correct weight.
cosmicray

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anothertimeantiques wrote:
I'm seriously considering moving to the calculated shipping.

One question remaining about the backup part and matrix. I currently have a matrix that is specialized for the smaller weight sections.
Ex: #4 is actually priced for a 10 oz package - it is not a 4 lb pkg

For a particular store, the weight scheme you have in the listings *must* agree with the weight scheme in the matrix. If you also turn on Calculated Shipping, then that weight scheme *must* (for all three) be the actual weight (and not a synthetic weight).

I have two stores, one uses the matrix, no Calculated Shipping and actual weights. The other uses the matrix, no Calculated Shipping and a synthetic weight (as you describe above). Both store's items appear (AFAICT) in Google Products with the correct shipping costs. Thus far (subject to change), I've not seen GP doing the wrong thing with a synthetic weight.
anothertimeantiques

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You really should enter the correct weight.

sigh....I wish I could. I have product that weighs as little as 2 oz and as much as 15 lbs! Please oh magic fairy of the eCrater shipping department system: make a simple - one only format for determining shipping!! LOL

But in the meantime... I'll keep struggling with this! You have answered my concerns - thanks!

but ..one more: if I enter a weight as 0.50 how will the matrix interpret that if it is used?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: