eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

USPS Shipping Calculator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunshine-Sales

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
1 oz = (1/16) lb

5 oz = 0.3125 lb so you enter 0.3125 for the weight.

Thanks.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Sunshine-Sales

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the calculated shipping, how do I add a handling charge? Do I up the weight of the package?
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zannsvintage wrote:
What happens to my existing listings with flat rate (weight has to be listed as 0.00) if I turn on the shipping calculator

You can still offer free shipping for some items when you activate the USPS calculator. Just make sure you specify 0 for the weight and set the shipping to free for these items.
zannsvintage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO I do not have free shipping!

if you use flat rate you have to fill in 0.00 under weight, because that field has to be filled in or it gets a "required fields not completed" error(I don't know why). I already have shipping prices on my existing listings.

I do not want it to come out free! That is what I am afraid of, what happens if I turn on the calculator when my existing listings are filled in with flat rate prices?

I want to take absolutely no chance of it being replaced with free shipping.
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zannsvintage wrote:
NO I do not have free shipping!

if you use flat rate you have to fill in 0.00 under weight, because that field has to be filled in or it gets a "required fields not completed" error(I don't know why). I already have shipping prices on my existing listings.

I do not want it to come out free! That is what I am afraid of, what happens if I turn on the calculator when my existing listings are filled in with flat rate prices?

I want to take absolutely no chance of it being replaced with free shipping.

Sounds to me like you need to get the proper weight in FIRST. If you have ZERO in as the weight - the calculator has no idea what the weight is suppose to be and weight on zero is ZERO
zannsvintage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I'd known that was possible to begin with, when I first came here, I kept getting the error message when I check fixed rate shipping without the weight field filled in, I was told to fill it in with 0.00, I never even knew it would accept any other numbers than 0.00 with "fixed rate" checked. Embarassed

Does that mean I have to revise all my listings twice? ONce to change the weight and then to change the checkbox from "fixed rate" to "weight dependable" ? (or something else?) after turning the calculator on?
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does that mean I have to revise all my listings twice? ONce to change the weight and then to change the checkbox from "fixed rate" to "weight dependable" ? (or something else?) after turning the calculator on?

Just once -- because once you enable the shipping calculator it will take over so it don't matter what method you have selected.

Quote:
I never even knew it would accept any other numbers than 0.00 with "fixed rate" checked.

I have ALWAYS (since 2005) entered the weight of the PACKAGED item and I use flat rate.
cruisersclassics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: The new USPS is great BUT Reply with quote

As with so much here it's up to the USER to figure this all out which makes the learning curve a lot harder.
I enabled the USPS option expecting to see it show up on individual listing, NOT. Then I checked to see if it only worked with new listings, NOT again.
Then I came here to read how you all "guess" this works and read that its "global" so once again NO individual control of each listing. Take it whole or nothing. SO I disabled it. We'll see how this all plays out.
Thanks for the user-manual-less-feature, maybe someday.

My .02
Cruiser
allgiftnobasket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't understand how it's supposed to work. I have all my weights entered correctly. I picked the options of Parcel Post and Priority Flat Rate Box, which are the two ways I ship now. But no matter how many items are in the cart, it only charges for ONE flat rate box (9.80). Some of my items can go 2 or 3 to a box, and some can only fit one in the box. I certainly can't fit 10 or 20 items in one flat rate box!
I guess that option can only be used by someone who sells something tiny like jewelry?
I guess I'll have to only use parcel post with the shipping calculator.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunshine-Sales wrote:
With the calculated shipping, how do I add a handling charge? Do I up the weight of the package?

eCRATER does not support handling fees at this moment. You can increase your product weights if you would like to charge more.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zannsvintage wrote:

Then make sure you specify weights for each product. If for some reason USPS does not return any rate the flat rate/shipping matrix rate will be used as a back up. So let's say you enable the USPS calcultor but some of your products weights are 0. Worse case you will just get Regular Shippping rate for these items.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: The new USPS is great BUT Reply with quote

cruisersclassics wrote:
As with so much here it's up to the USER to figure this all out which makes the learning curve a lot harder.

It is very simple, no need for a manual. It is self explanatory. Please refer to the initial post.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allgiftnobasket wrote:
I still don't understand how it's supposed to work. I have all my weights entered correctly. I picked the options of Parcel Post and Priority Flat Rate Box, which are the two ways I ship now. But no matter how many items are in the cart, it only charges for ONE flat rate box (9.80). Some of my items can go 2 or 3 to a box, and some can only fit one in the box. I certainly can't fit 10 or 20 items in one flat rate box.

That's correct. eCRATER will not charge additional Priority Flat rate fee for each of your items. It's per order and it is based on the weight. So probably it will be better to use Priority Mail insted of Priority Flat Rate Box.
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmericanVintage wrote:

Since the post office charges by zip to zip - how will the shipping know what to charge, is there a place for the customers to put their zip

There is a place. It will be either in Google Checkout on in the eCRATER shipping page.

AmericanVintage wrote:

If using the ecrater shipping, how will it display the shipping on the item page for say someone in zone 3 vs zone 6?

For now we are displaying only USPS on the item page. We will add soon a textbox where the user will be able to specify the zip code/country in order to get a quote for the shipping.

AmericanVintage wrote:

It says= Enable USPS calculated shipping instead - instead of what? Flat rate and/or matrix?

Instead both Flat rate and Shipping Matrix rates
IncredibleClutter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If for some reason USPS does not return any rate the flat rate/shipping matrix rate will be used as a back up.

Aha! So we should use the matrix or flat rate also, just as a backup?

And... if we use the calculator for a store that has small, First-Class-type items, as well as larger/heavier Priority-type items, will this work:
For the small items, have flat rate specified and put in something like 200 lbs for the weight. USPS won't return a rate, so the specified flat rate will be used instead?

Have I had a lightbulb moment? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: