eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

First negative feedback over postage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thescarletibis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: First negative feedback over postage Reply with quote

I have had my store for a few years now with 100% positive feedback, that is until yesterday when I received my very first negative feedback. I sent out that package in a timely matter. I used the same exact scale I have had no issues with ever. However, without talking to me, my customer left feedback that USPS claimed I had not paid enough postage. However, I printed it off Paypal, used the scale, never had an issue before.
I checked the tracking and found that this person had received a notice so they aren't lying. However, I did everything correctly on my end.
Should I receive negative feedback for a USPS error? I did submit an appeal. I am just hoping I can get it removed because I did everything right on my end.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make a note about what the scale said the package weighed ? If so, how close was it to the next pound ? It takes a very small difference to push it to the next pound rate.
Thescarletibis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
Did you make a note about what the scale said the package weighed ? If so, how close was it to the next pound ? It takes a very small difference to push it to the next pound rate.

I can check. It wasn't even a pound. It was a first class package. Thank you for the response!
jigsaw-puzzle-palooza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you send it 1st Class at 13 oz? Because if your scale is slightly off and it weighed OVER 13 oz it no longer qualifies for 1st Class and the price jumps several dollars for Parcel Post or Priority Mail
Thescarletibis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jigsaw-puzzle-palooza wrote:
Did you send it 1st Class at 13 oz? Because if your scale is slightly off and it weighed OVER 13 oz it no longer qualifies for 1st Class and the price jumps several dollars for Parcel Post or Priority Mail

Yes, Most of my packages are first class and I've been doing this for a long time now. The package was only 8 oz. I have no clue as to why it was not enough postage.
elpereles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As buyer, it happened some years ago. I needed to pay $5 to get the package. What I did? I take photos of the "not enough postage", contacted the seller, and he refunded the $5.

Now about the scale. If don't matter if you have a "special mega great ultra invincible trusted friendly" scale. You must have an item that you know the weight to check it is still calibrated. I have the weight of some items and I always check before packing anything.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had delivery confirmation on the package and it wasn't at least 3/4" thick the PO can charge the person Priority rate for the mail. I haven't been called on that one in years, but as far as I know the rule still stands and if you get a truly picky PO employee you can get caught if you haven't thichened the package. With an 8oz package and if the amount owed would be the difference between 1st class and Priority, that is your problem.

Solution: apologize profusely, send them the difference that they had to pay+ a bit extra so they have NO fees on their ends and something for their trouble besides, apologize again and then let ecrater know and see if they will change it to a neutral with proof of what you did to fix things. Cross fingers and hope.
Thescarletibis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
If you had delivery confirmation on the package and it wasn't at least 3/4" thick the PO can charge the person Priority rate for the mail. I haven't been called on that one in years, but as far as I know the rule still stands and if you get a truly picky PO employee you can get caught if you haven't thichened the package. With an 8oz package and if the amount owed would be the difference between 1st class and Priority, that is your problem.

Solution: apologize profusely, send them the difference that they had to pay+ a bit extra so they have NO fees on their ends and something for their trouble besides, apologize again and then let ecrater know and see if they will change it to a neutral with proof of what you did to fix things. Cross fingers and hope.

I did not ask for delivery confirmation.
thecheapskirt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thescarletibis wrote:
MoonwishesStore wrote:
If you had delivery confirmation on the package and it wasn't at least 3/4" thick the PO can charge the person Priority rate for the mail.

I did not ask for delivery confirmation.

You said you checked the tracking. That is delivery confirmation.

Unless you are talking about outside of the US shipping?
cosmicray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thescarletibis wrote:
I can check. It wasn't even a pound. It was a first class package.

The way you said that scares me. Packages up to, and including exactly 13 ozs, can be shipped First Class. Packages over 13 ozs (beginning at 13.01 ozs) are required to be shipped via another method (such as Priority Mail). Was it more than 13 ozs ?
Thescarletibis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
Thescarletibis wrote:
I can check. It wasn't even a pound. It was a first class package.

The way you said that scares me. Packages up to, and including exactly 13 ozs, can be shipped First Class. Packages over 13 ozs (beginning at 13.01 ozs) are required to be shipped via another method (such as Priority Mail). Was it more than 13 ozs ?

as I mentioned earlier on in this thread. The package was only 8 oz. I have been using this scale for over two years and it has never been off. It is not battery powered, I plug it in. Just to clarify the batteries are not going dead.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the difference in price of psotage? Like I said if it went up to $4.90 or more minus what you had already paid it is because you may not have had a thick enough packet. Not USPS fault, it would be yours. The difference between 8 and 9 ounces is only about 15 cents if you do electronic postage.
Thescarletibis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
What was the difference in price of psotage? Like I said if it went up to $4.90 or more minus what you had already paid it is because you may not have had a thick enough packet. Not USPS fault, it would be yours. The difference between 8 and 9 ounces is only about 15 cents if you do electronic postage.

I shipped packages recently and it has not gone up that much.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't understanding me. The rate for first class mail hasn't gone up at all since early this year so that isn't what I meant. What was the difference that your customer had to pay to get their package? If it was in the 15-35 cent range, then yes, something was wrong with your weight. However if it was several dollars, it was because your package wasn't 3/4" thick and so they charged the Priority mail rate to the customer which would be several dollars which is enough to get a customer rather upset. You need to contact the customer and ask them how much you owe them for the extra postage. This will help you understand what the problem was. In just about any case, this was something you did wrong and you need to fix it. I doubt that ecrater will fix the negative without proof that you paid them back for what was owed.
Thescarletibis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
You aren't understanding me. The rate for first class mail hasn't gone up at all since early this year so that isn't what I meant. What was the difference that your customer had to pay to get their package? If it was in the 15-35 cent range, then yes, something was wrong with your weight. However if it was several dollars, it was because your package wasn't 3/4" thick and so they charged the Priority mail rate to the customer which would be several dollars which is enough to get a customer rather upset. You need to contact the customer and ask them how much you owe them for the extra postage. This will help you understand what the problem was. In just about any case, this was something you did wrong and you need to fix it. I doubt that ecrater will fix the negative without proof that you paid them back for what was owed.

yes, I have sent the customer, ecrater, and USPS a message. I am hoping I hear some kind of explanation. The package was 3/4' thick so I am positive that was not the problem. I also have had this scale for a long time. I have not had any issues with it. I have also shipped other packages with it recently, first class, no issues.
This is not the first time this has happened with USPS. Once I took my package TO THE POST OFFICE and they quoted me wrong! I lost $50. That was three years ago. I have also googled this and people sending wedding invites have had the same problem.
I stick with USPS because I can offer some affordable shipping. Generally it is pretty good but this has left a mark on my 100% feedback and had upset a customer. That really annoys me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: