eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Building a website
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magikali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Building a website Reply with quote

I want to have a website that I can link to my ecrater store. I haven't set up my store yet because I am trying to figure out the website. Has anyone used some of the internet sites that say they will design a website for you? Or are there some simple tips for doing so?
Thanks,
magikali
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wanting a simple "doorway" page like www.BigNTallMensClothing.com or something more involved like www.FormalLongDresses.com

If you don't know how to build a site yourself you can expect to pay so nice chunks of money to have it done.

Without knowing what it is you want your site to do
it's hard to give you any type of ideas as to what you need.
theswordguys

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice chunks huh? lol but yeah you can expect to pay a little for a good site. Check out my site: www.HymesDesign.com I can handle any web front you might want as far as a cover for ecrater. I haven't worked on my site in a while though not since I became full time at my new job, so don't judge too harshly lol.
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$75 for a single page is a nice chunk of money
in my books.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I have a web designer in my family & her boyfriend is doing the bells & whistles (they work for a web design company)...
Anyway, I do all my own sites but my daughter started revamping one of my sites & her boyfriend is programing it all. OMG... When it is ready, I will have to post it cuz it is looking & working SOOOOOOO sweet!!!
I got a quick quote on what the company would have charged..... $15,000 !!!! & my actual charge.... a few pairs of sweat pants that my daughter needs for winter... Cool
fullerbrush

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched the web for free templates and built 2 stores from templates. If nothing else, it's a great way to get your feet wet learning HTML. I knew nothing about it, but just fiddled around with it. Granted, they aren't the best looking stores on the web, but I think they look pretty good. I don't think I can post links to my stores here. But look around, there are lots of templates to choose from.

But if you don't have the time or the desire to do that, I'd pay $75 for a nice storefront. First impressions.....

Christine
theswordguys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you think $75 for a single page is a lot of money you might not be wrong but you haven't looked around much. I've seen sites charging 495 for a single page with no qualms about it. I'm cheap for a designer very cheap and with a good enough story I'm even cheaper lol. But seriously I almost feel insulted my prices are definitely below average, its like anything else if I used to offer sites for even cheaper and it wasn't till I upped my pricing that I got a single "sale." People are stupid they shop and if a deal seems to god to be true generally they stay away. So if $75 is a bit much like I said look around, and then if you still feel like I'm a ripoff be sure you post other guys prices too.
theswordguys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and I'm not bitter or angry and I don't hold a grudge but that is what I do for a living and I posted almost immediately upon reading the comment about being too pricey. I don't talk about how expensive a car is unless I've been looking around and know its expensive, that's my point. Of course your opinions matter too but I have to defend my lively hood or get another one lol.
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you think $75 for a single page is a lot of money you might not be wrong but you haven't looked around much. I've seen sites charging 495 for a single page with no qualms about it.

OH I know! But $75 is alot of sales in my books.
I write all my HTML coding from scratch.
theswordguys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do html by hand and still do ocassionally but now I also use dreamweaver and edit it in the coding window. it's slightly less tedious, but tons better than pouring over several hundred lines for the cell you forgot to center text in still i'm never happy with the way dreamweaver codes i always spend more time in the coding window than anywhere else. when i have lots of time i usually write from scratch in dreamweaver all the benefits tons less headache
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but if you haven't noticed yet --- I am cheap --- too cheap to buy dreamweaver that's for sure! lol
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a website Reply with quote

magikali wrote:
I want to have a website that I can link to my ecrater store. I haven't set up my store yet because I am trying to figure out the website. Has anyone used some of the internet sites that say they will design a website for you? Or are there some simple tips for doing so?
Thanks,
magikali

Back to the original question....any suggestions on a simple front page take you to your store?
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the question was
Quote:
Has anyone used some of the internet sites that say they will design a website for you? Or are there some simple tips for doing so?

Quote:
Back to the original question....any suggestions on a simple front page take you to your store?

The tips are
#1 you have to be willing to pay anywhere form $75 to thousands if you don't know coding
#2 You have to decide if you want real simple - like a welcome page
or more elaborate like a whole website.
#3 search the web for free templates and learning HTML
#4 buy software like Dreamweaver to help write the coding

If you only want a front page - a welcome type page or a doorway page --- all of which are basically the same thing
I would suggest using a free template OR paying theswordguys $75 to do it for you. Advantage of doing it yourself is if you want or need changes you will know how to do that. Not sure how many times theswordguys will change things over time.
Mikessportingoods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know much about how to build web pages. So, I looked around, joined some formums, asked a lot of questions. We have an ecommerce site..pretty basic; reasonable cost, and doing what we want right now.

mikessportingoods
kjscreations

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used MS Front Page.
You do the design... can tweek the HTML & upload either via the frontpage itself or you can copy the HTML code & ftp it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: