eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Auction Versus Marketplace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuteasabug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Auction Versus Marketplace Reply with quote

I find that over the last year that I have gravitated toward marketplace selling versus auctions.

I was just wondering if any of you find them less frustrating to keep up with?

Also what percentage of your sales are auction and what percentage marketplace type venues?

I'm thinking along the lines of taking my clearance items and making them ticklers in the auction sites to gain traffic, but do you think you just draw bargain hunters only?

Mary
www.cuteasabug.biz
www.cuteasabug.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm thinking along the lines of taking my clearance items and making them ticklers in the auction sites to gain traffic, but do you think you just draw bargain hunters only?

I have read that AUCTION site shopppers are bargain hunters and/or folks searching for that needle in a hay stack. Auction shoppers are looking to buy at 75% or more off of the retail price - that includes what they pay for shipping.
Online shoppers that shop in webstores, marketplaces - they are normally in serach of a specific item, common or hard to find - they just want the item and prefer the easy of shopping from home. Most of they time they will buy as long as the price is within the normal range of the cost of that item.

So in my opinion auctions shoppers are normally bargain hunters!
castlegifts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda got tired of the auction sites. Mostly there are very view, if any views. And when shopping at one I will always look for the buy now feature because I don't want to have to wait and be outbid at the last minute.
skywayimages

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Auction Versus Marketplace Reply with quote

cuteasabug wrote:
I find that over the last year that I have gravitated toward marketplace selling versus auctions.

Ya know something, Mary? I've sold only ONE thing at an online auction.
I've made many sales at the buy-it-now venue, but only one thing at an AUCTION.

However, the auction venue is a good thing to generate traffic for your other goods. Remember the Sam Walton philosophy... when he was first started Walmart, he'd buy paper towels from his supplier at .22 cents per roll. He would then sell them for .15 cents per roll. Other stores were selling them at .39 cents per roll. People would drive miles and miles to buy at that price. His feeling (I believe he coined the "loss leader" expression) was that if a customer drives 20 miles to get a few rolls of paper towels, he/she will be a frugal, gas mileage-watching shopper. And those types of buyers will want to consolidate they're shopping...and the rest is history.

Now, IF you post an auction and are taking a slight loss, it's time to don your sales hat and look for an upsell. As you send the invoice, include a note that you have the matching sox for $ and can combine shipping...stuff like that, ya know?

When I sold a leather coat, I ALWAYS tried to sell the chaps, too. I sold plenty of the pairs, believe me. Upselling is the name of the game with auction-type sales.

www.skywayimages.com
www.skywayimages.ecrater.com
cuteasabug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: In my case accessories.. Reply with quote

I have just started adding some accessories that really are not a $ maker.

What I'm thinking is that if I draw that bargain hunter from the auction site perhaps they will find something else on clearance to move some inventory if even at break even.

Then that could be word of mouth to other bargain hunters and that particular type customer could keep my stale stock from growing and causing storage problems. Make sense?

Other than for that purpose I really don't like fooling with auctions anymore.

I would no more have an auction call my cell phone than I would fly! There is nothing that I could even dream of in my wildest dreams that I would want that much.

When I get out from behind this desk it is like when I used to ride - I don't want any beepers, cell phones or reminders of work.

When you think about it Feebay moved away from the auction venue when they pushed the Express because they knew not everyone had nothing else to do except bid on an auction at the last minute.

Mary
www.cuteasabug.biz
BargainBarn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many sniping activities going on anymore and an unusual amount of sniping websites popping up everywhere. I suppose if someone had an item that was worth hundreds they didn't have anything in, it might be worth taking a chance. Rare colectibles, dishes and the like are still fairly safe as most sniping involves brand name newer items, but sniping is still something to watch out for. We have been on the buy-it-now program for over a year and have found most folks that are looking for everyday items, prefer it now rather than later.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipers are great as long as you're starting your item for the at least the minimum you're willing to accept for it. What I really love is when two snipers go head to head! It doesn't happen as much anymore but it's nice when it does..
cuteasabug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: I'm Too Trusting Reply with quote

My basic nature is to trust everyone and that is not a good trait for this business sometimes.

It is always a surprise to me when I hear of the "newest" scam. My mind just doesn't seem to work that way.

Just now I was asked to lower a rating on a Yahoo Auction so the bidder could buy. It is not an expensive item and my "3" rating on my items there maybe one of the reasons they have not sold.

I'm talking things some people would re-gift that are in a box in my garage. So I'm going through them this afternoon and lowering all of them just in case.

Most of the seasoned sellers are all over a new scam so I read their posts and follow their lead.

Mary
www.cuteasabug.biz
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away from the auction scene for quite a while now (close to 2 years - guess where I was and when I left lol?) I went back to one auction site because a friend told me it was sooo good there, lots of sales, etc., etc. Ranking really high (top 1-3) for some of the auctions I had listed, but not one single sale. Meanwhile, all of my statuc URL sites (including ecrater) are selling pretty well, and picking up all the time. I think the day of the auction has seen it's heyday, most people just want to buy. And I really like the fact that they do just that - buy and don't waste my time with chasing them for $$$, etc.
cuteasabug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: The Thrill is Gone! Reply with quote

I simply am drawing from my own experience. I don't have time to sit around and watch QVC or HSN let alone keep up with an auction and when it closes.

I always was a person that if I saw something on auction, I would bid the amt. willing to pay and forget about it. If I got an Outbid Notice - so what - I had already bid my amt. Now I do not do auctions at all - buying or selling.

Over time the novelty is wearing off for those that actually keep track or there would not be the need for the IM cell phone feature now being used.

From the seller's view you spend a lot of time answering questions to those that never bid.

Mary
www.cuteasabug.biz
fancyflappers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also what percentage of your sales are auction and what percentage marketplace type venues?

50% item for item, but my marketplace sales are for alot more money so I make alot more than on my auctions. Auctions just make me work harder. Laughing
cuteasabug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Auctions are Labor Intensive Reply with quote

I keep some things on Yahoo Auctions and iOffer that seem to be constantly needing attention and rarely sell. As a matter of fact I had my first small sell on Yahoo yesterday.

The sells here have been seamless - knock on wood! - in comparison.

So I would have to say about 95% of my business has evolved to marketplace.

Mary
www.cuteasabug.biz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: