eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Help with meta tags and SEO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
decadesantiquesandcollectables

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: meta tag Reply with quote

Thank you ACREAD. At least I am not going crazy!! So, I guess I need to go and delete that and try working on the meta tag. I was also trying the meta tag while I was doing the other and of course that wasn't working. Would the meta tag look like this?

<meta name="gift,collectables,antiques,antique,craftbook,craftbooks,books,book" content="gWIxoGJ8yidYXr7vLUOTz4vE9F8Fkdzd2oSJeLZXUaA=" />http://decadesantiquesandcollectables.ecrater.com/

I am not sure if I have it in the right order or not and that is why I was having probs with the meta tag. Thanks again for the help! Ginakins77
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: meta tag Reply with quote

decadesantiquesandcollectables wrote:
Thank you ACREAD. At least I am not going crazy!! So, I guess I need to go and delete that and try working on the meta tag. I was also trying the meta tag while I was doing the other and of course that wasn't working. Would the meta tag look like this?

<meta name="gift,collectables,antiques,antique,craftbook,craftbooks,books,book" content="gWIxoGJ8yidYXr7vLUOTz4vE9F8Fkdzd2oSJeLZXUaA=" />http://decadesantiquesandcollectables.ecrater.com/

I am not sure if I have it in the right order or not and that is why I was having probs with the meta tag. Thanks again for the help! Ginakins77

1. login to your eCrater account
2. click on Edit Texts
3. click on Meta Description Tag
4. just type in the words and commas only (nothing else). To see example click on the blue question mark net to the box (right-top)
5. click on update
6. do the same with Meta Keyword Tags and Title Tag

eCrater does the rest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!! Can it realllllly be this easy!!! If so, then I was trying to make it soooooo much harder than was needed. Here is what I put in the meta description tag - for now anyway - since I am working around my store and have about 20,000 other items to create:

craft books, sheet music, ads, one sheet posters, poster, patterns, variety of books of all types: children's, adult's, teens, romance, self help, back issue magazine, magazines

I didn't use any sentences, just words and comma's. If this is correct, please let me know. Also, on the meta title tag and meta keywords tag wouldn't this be the same as what I put on the description tag? Wouldn't I just copy and paste this to all three? Thanks again for your AWSOME HELP!! Ginakins77

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: title tag Reply with quote

On the title tag, is that for each item that I create or for the entire store?
acread

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say what they are there, just click on the blue question marks next to the box where you enter it and read.
rwcollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue question mark says for title tag :
This is the text that is displayed in the top section of the browser when you open a certain page.

Example: Books Audio Movies Music - Online

Do I put the actual text that is at the top of each of my webpages or is this talking about what title tags other browsers search for ? This is very confusing. The example given above is 4 words that are run-on nouns with spaces hyphenated with an adjective. Do you use commas ?
Would mine be like this : Baseball Football Basketball Movies - Online
???
Help.
Thanks.
acread

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rwcollectibles wrote:
Blue question mark says for title tag :
This is the text that is displayed in the top section of the browser when you open a certain page.

Example: Books Audio Movies Music - Online

Do I put the actual text that is at the top of each of my webpages or is this talking about what title tags other browsers search for ? This is very confusing. The example given above is 4 words that are run-on nouns with spaces hyphenated with an adjective. Do you use commas ?
Would mine be like this : Baseball Football Basketball Movies - Online
???
Help.
Thanks.

The title tag appear at the top of your page on the tab at you stores homepage. You type whatever you want to appear there an that is what appears.

Take a look at my homepage: http://acread.ecrater.com/ Do you see whare it says "AC Read Bookstore" next to the orange cicle eCrater icon on your browser (hopefully you have a IE browser)? That appears there because I typed that in my title tag box and saved it. I could have typed "Nani nani boo booo" and that would appear there. But what good would that do right? (You don't type what is on the website to the texts. What you type apears on the website. And honestly you don't need to change that. If you don't put anything in your title tag box your eCrater ID will appear there)

Title tag is only for your stores homepage. Every other page has their own tags (which you can't change).

The discussion on commas etc. was about the Meta Keyword Tags, which is a different thing. (hence they are entered separately then title tag).
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a bit hazy on some things. Perhaps someone can shed some light on how this done.

Where and how do you create these tags and how do Meta Tags help elevate your place in Google Search? Google Webmaster Tools is asking for one so I guess I need to give them one.

The logistics of "how" to do keyword SEO behind the scenes continues to confuse me as well, though I believe I understand the fundamentals in titles. Does ecrater have a tutorial on this on their site or does anyone have a link to very SIMPLIFIED how to? Techno-babble's not my strong suit.

Denny Crane
acread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No technobable.

You open your eCrater account. Go to "Edit Texts" click on "Title Tag". The you click on the blue question mark net to the box to see what it is and see an example of it. The you just decide the phrase you want to use as title tag and edter it in the box (no special character nothing. just words) then Click on "update" and it will be save and appear on your stores homepage. I typed in the box "AC Read Online Bookstore" and that is what you see on my homepage on the tab in the browser.

You do the same thing with "Meta Description Tag" and "Meta Keywords Tag". just click on the name then on the blue question mark to see the example and explanation. In the box you enter the words with commas in between. No special characters or coding.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for explaining that. It was a lot simpler than I thought! I thought there might be more to exposure than just the keywords in your title. But does this affect your Google exposure or something entirely else?

I have one more question - Could you please explain how you use SEO keyword searches to maximize your choice of keywords? Do you just input the keyword you think works and it tells you whether or not it does?
acread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dccollectibles wrote:
Thank you for explaining that. It was a lot simpler than I thought! I thought there might be more to exposure than just the keywords in your title. But does this affect your Google exposure or something entirely else?

There is actually. But I wanted to show a simple example of it. Don't want to go into details. Since I am not the expert in this area and people who know a whole lot more explain it much better in the following topic I thought i'll just give the basics.

It does effect your Google exposure (to an extent)
Make sure to read the following topic and look at all the lings given: http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2043

Quote:
I have one more question - Could you please explain how you use SEO keyword searches to maximize your choice of keywords? Do you just input the keyword you think works and it tells you whether or not it does?

There is a tool to test which keywords work well with your site.

http://www.seocentro.com/tools/seo-tools.html

Make sure to first complete listing all your products, before doing the optimization of your tags. Cause the results and recommendation of the tool would vary with the content your posted on your site (that is the text you entered in your product pages etc).
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead - How long did it take for your page to update with the title tag header? Our web address is still showing.
acread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instantly. Your address is not showing. It only shows when you place the cursor on top not on the page tab itself (lol sorry but I don't know how to explain it.)

Try refreshing your browser page. (removing the cashe)
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it's working now. Very Happy

Now if you want to verify your site with the Google Webmaster Tools program, how can you do that? Would you paste the meta tag line GWT gives you in the Home area of your Edit Text or does Ecrater not support that feature? Question

Also I wonder if the fact we once submitted to Google Base (since then we've stopped) and now ecrater is submitting feeds with our store name might have something to do with the drop in exposure? Does this match the experience of anyone else reading this thread? Just trying to get a grip on possible causes for the drop.

On the other hand - I wonder if relisting the items THROUGH Google Base might help? Perhaps something went wrong with the last Ecrater to Google feed?
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about your eCrater store, you can't actually verify that with Google Webmaster Tools. That's only for the actual site owner which, in our case, is eCrater.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: