eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Help with calculated shipping

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Againandagainvintage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Help with calculated shipping Reply with quote

I was just wondering if you can direct me to the proper channels to get help with shipping. I couldn't find it on my own.

I just switched to calculated shipping. It seems that the shipping charges for combined orders is coming out either way too high or way too low. Is there something that I am missing?

TIA
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your product weights correct values of pachaged items?

What the shipping calculator does is check the total weight of the ordered items, then go to USPS (united states postal services) website and get a value for that weight, the chosen shipping method and location the order will be shipped. So if they are not matching to what you have, either you are using a different shipping service (like UPS, FedEx, etc. instead of USPS) or the weights you are entering are wrong. (I hope you are entering them in pound and not ounces. If the items weigh in ounces convert that to pound then enter it in the weight box of your item listing).

Here is the topic on shipping:
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2461
here is the one about shipping calculator (that is USPS calculated shipping):
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=13030
Againandagainvintage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help.

I am using USPS (I just checked to make sure). For the items I listed that were less than a pound I entered it as 0.5 (for instance).

When I entered my weights I included the weight for the box. Maybe I should not have done it like that.

Otherwise, I weighed everything. But, the shipping seemed to be off to me.

I will re-read the threads you gave me.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say you have:
one item that eighs 2 oz
another that weighs 5 oz. Both without the packaging.

If you add 3 oz for the packaging on each.
Then you enter 5 oz for the weight of the first item and 8 oz for the weight of the second item.

Now if they are bought separately your shipping will be exact.

But if they are bought together the packageing weight you included becomes 3 oz. And if you are able to package the two items for 5 oz. You will be charging 1 oz extra.

Unfortunately there is no way to make it exact cent by cent. And you probably don't need to get that exact. If you put the package weight less than what it would take to package one item, you are going to undercharge the customer when they buy just one. It is going to come out of your pocket.

If you charged too much shipping you can always give a small partial refund. But if you charge less you cannot ask for more from the buyer.

By the way when you are saying the shipping doesn't match, what are you comparing it to? What you pay at the post office? What rate USPS give for online labels? There might be slight difference.
Againandagainvintage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you explained it well. The shipping is going to be off a little bit due to combining several items with one box. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making any errors with my set up.

By the way when you are saying the shipping doesn't match, what are you comparing it to? What you pay at the post office? What rate USPS give for online labels? There might be slight difference.

I was thinking it seemed either too high or too low for on-line labels. But, I understand it now that you have explained it to me.

Thank you so much for your help.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: