eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

My Microsoft Word seems to be locked

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: My Microsoft Word seems to be locked Reply with quote

This has never happened to me before so I haven't a clue.

I opened Microsoft Word for Windows and it came on with the blank document as usual. I clicked on the open folder as I wanted to work on a file I had been on last night.

Nothing happened. I can't click on anything or write in the blank document. I went to my documents file to see if I could get in that way and everything looked in order but I couldn't open those files either.

Does MWW wear out? I've had the software for a while but never had a problem with it. If I reinstall it will I lose all my files?

The rest of my computer seems to be working fine.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I reinstall it will I lose all my files?

You shouldn't lose anything if you reinstall the program.

If you want to feel safer you can always back up your pc (which is always a good thing to do anyways.

You might try doing a system restore that might fix the issue.

Sounds like you might have lost part of the file to operate Word. I have had that happen before it just goes out to dinner and never returns I guess.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will put that on my list to do on Sunday when it will be blizzarding out.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question. Are you using a fairly new computer? If so could you be using a trail version of word? The reason I ask this is most new computers come bundled with MS Office and if you don't upgrade they will simply stop working at some point.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question or help recover any files but I would suggest you consider using Open Office Suite as a replacement for your MS applications ....if you need a good word processor and other tools .

http://download-new.com/openoffice/
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current computer was purchased just after Vista came out. The Word I purchased 3 computers before. They weren't so old. They just got stolen. So I keep installing the old software in the new computers. The Word is Word 2000 and it has always worked fine till yesterday.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may do as B&T suggests and try a systems restore to a point you are sure word was working properly. If that doesn't work you could try a complete reinstall but the chances are you will lose your files.

The reason I recommended Open Office as an option is that's it's free, continually updated, open source and you can find lots of help online.

Anyway, hope you get things sorted out...it's a PITA when something doesn't work right Crying or Very sad
viewfinders

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can't access my file on Word but install Open Office, how can I transfer my files to OO? I have thousands of pages there and of course some of it is not backed up.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today my Word program began to work normally again. Have no idea what happened to it but I could open and save files.

Aspen if you see this I'd still like to know if I can transfer a Word file into an Open Office program.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
Today my Word program began to work normally again. Have no idea what happened to it but I could open and save files.

Aspen if you see this I'd still like to know if I can transfer a Word file into an Open Office program.

That's strange but glad it's working.

As far as I know you can import MS word (MS Office) files to Open Office files (the documentation says you can) however I have never tried it myself so not sure exactly what the procedure is.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpenOffice is great and one of the best things about it is that it can both handle Microsoft file formats AND save in Microsoft formats if necessary. So it makes it easy to use OpenOffice but still have files compatible with Microsoft users.
noadi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open Office is so wonderful as it opens a crazy number of formats, even a some that are mac specific which are usually hopeless if you have windows.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: