eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

i'm thinking of just accepting checks and money orders
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superheroesrus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: i'm thinking of just accepting checks and money orders Reply with quote

hello my fellow e-craters

i'm thinking about possibly just accepting checks and money orders can somebody give me their opinion if i do that.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silliest idea I've heard in a while.

If you sell budget items no one will go to the expense, not to mention the time involved, of buying a money order or writing a check, buying a stamp and waiting for the mails and clearance, when they can buy the same items from the next person without waiting or it costing them extra.
Solution to this problem is to add the cost of PP or GC fee to your item so it will be covered.

If you sell pricier items buyers want the protection of PP, GC and their CC company.

Not offering PP or GC is slitting your throat. You lose and the competition offering online payments wins.
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: i'm thinking of just accepting checks and money orders Reply with quote

superheroesrus wrote:

i'm thinking about possibly just accepting checks and money orders can somebody give me their opinion if i do that.

Shoppers shop online for convenience and speed
checks and money orders might work if you have items that no one else in the world is selling online.
acread

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offered money order and cashier's check options for almost a year and all I got for them were fake purchases. So I don't think it is a good idea. I recently removed these options because I am sick of deleting the nonsense.

At eBay I would still offer it (if it was possible which I think maybe not anymore. Sorry can't keep up with their rules anymore), because there are eBay buyers who actually pay that way without problems. Here it's a different story.

Sometimes I wonder if there are PayPal or Google Checkout employees entering fake purchases at eCrater so sellers will quit offering money order or check payments and use only electronic transfers. Twisted Evil
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if there are PayPal or Google Checkout employees entering fake purchases at eCrater so sellers will quit offering money order or check payments and use only electronic transfers. Twisted Evil

You are almost as paranoid as I am. Razz
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
ACRead wrote:

You are almost as paranoid as I am. Razz

HEY, this wouldn't surprise me a bit from ebay. They have been caught doing crap like that on other sites. IP address tell alot. Of course ebay claims they as a company had nothing to do with the 15 employees of theirs placing fake orders during working hours,
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definately need to offer some sort of on-line payment - paypal or google checkout or both.

Think IMPULSE. I see something I like. Something I just gotta have right now. I buy, I pay immediately on line. I sit back and wait. If I had to stop and write a check or get a money order, that impluse might go away - if I were nice, you'd get an email - sorry, changed my mind - or you just wouldn't get anything. Offering on-line payment methods keeps the buyer in the 'get it now' mode and doesn't give them much of a chance to change their mind.
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I offer all four ways to pay. I even tell them they can send cash (if they are crazy enough) but it is at their own risk. Haven't had anyone pay with check, mo or cash in a very long time. As weird as it sounds I did use to get paid with cash through the mail. I was always astounded by that.
GuadalupeForgeWroughtIron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone else. There are two main reasons folks buy from websites...the first is convenience (24 hour instant shopping, along with that great impulse buying thing!) and the second is access to items not available locally.

If you remove instant payments from your options you're making it much harder for folks to buy. If I have to get in my car (spend gas and time) to go buy the money order or cashiers check, then pay for the stamp and envelope to mail it, it's definitely inconvenient.

Even if it's an item I can't find locally, I will probably decide I can live without it. It will hurt your chances of sales substantially.

Maybe you should share some of your concerns about taking instant payments, to see if folks here can help?
tchsignshoppe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that most of my orders are through Google Checkout...

TCH Sign Shoppe.

momsretro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my orders are with GC too. But I have all 4 up there. Well, mostly, when I read too many scary stories sometimes I take off PloyPal.

I think it depends on the items you sell. I do a lot of collectibles and that demographic tends to still like checks and MO. Although I haven't gotten any real MO orders yet. I have gotten a few emails where they want to kindly send me a large checke from Nigeria, but I just delete them.

Maybe you could offer the option of MO without putting it on the listing. Just put a note in on the listing or your Terms Page saying you will accept MO's if they send you a note. ?
kjscreations

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even pay bills with written checks. & I think the last time I bought a MO was maybe 2 yrs ago.
I would not buy anything that takes checks or MO only.
PegsBUTTONS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superheroesrus
for years on ebay all I accepted was money orders/checks and concealed cash..I NEVER had a problem and was a powerseller for a time..
the reason I don't have feedback here on eCrater is because you have to accept paypal or google payments in order for buyers to leave it..
I have recently added paypal and google as options here..so I say it doesn't hurt to have all of the above options..good luck to you!
P.
superheroesrus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: i'm thinking of just accepting checks and money orders Reply with quote

hello my fellow e-craters

i do accept paypal but my preffered method is checks and money orders lots of luck, and a wonderful holiday season to all.
ImajeNationFlatware

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, I seriously LOVE Google Checkout! Most of my orders come thru GCO. Yes it is easier and more prominent for the buyer to see/use than PayEnemy but that don't break my heart; IT COSTS ME FAR LESS. Then I turn around and pull a FREE "ship now" packing slip off PayPal shipping; how can you beat that!?

Plus, my honeybun has a small construction co and was talking with his bank about getting set up to accept credit cards for payments. It would be approx. $75 for the set-up, plus a monthly fee, plus 4 or 5% on each transaction. I said "I don't know why you don't just get GCO verified and do it that way" and he looked at me like he'd been hit with a rock! ha! We set him up on GCO; free setup, no monthly fee, and I dunno, 2 or 3% each transaction, way less $$$ and he thinks I'm a genius!

Go ahead and offer just checks and money orders if you wish; it's YOUR store, but you will miss out on one PILE of sales. I get 75% GCO, 22% PP, and a money order now and then.. .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: