eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

What Will You Do (As A Seller)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etradersplace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: What Will You Do (As A Seller) Reply with quote

In my S&H, I stated that for any damages etc, buyers can contact me within me 7 days after they received the items.

Now, I have this buyer who told me some of the items he recieved is spoilt. After checking on the USPS website, I noticed that he received it on 6th Jan. So it's about 16 days now. He told me his wife has just started to unpack the package, so the damages were discover now.

I have asked him to email me the pictures of the spoilt items first.

Is there still a need for me to refund him, since there is a lapse of about 2 weeks since items were received? No insurance was paid for this postage.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a breakable item? Just a quick look at your home page your items didn't look terribly fragile but if the box was crushed and insurance wasn't paid you are liable.

You may have sold to a reseller who gets a lot of items by mail still 10 days is quite a long time. Most sellers know there are turn-around times for returns.

I would definitely ask for a photo of the damaged items.

Did the buyer purchase a large number of items?
Are the broken bits the most expensive items in the order?

Your post sounds like there were several items in the package and only part of the items are damaged. In such a case you are only liable for the cost of the broken items and a portion of the shipping.

Some buyers try to play games to get a discount after purchase. Most are genuine however.

If the buyer starts to sound like a scammer you can ask them to send the item back for a refund. That will usually end the matter if their claim is bogus.

Remember if the buyer bought a large number of items and has a legitimate complaint, you are losing a repeat customer by not giving a refund.
etradersplace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He bought 3 boxes of items (in each box there are 9 items, the miniature designer chairs). All the individual chairs (plastic made) are pack (by manufacturer) in a plastic cover follow by individual boxes, thereafter all these 9 items are pack in another box (also by manufacturer).

Since he bought 3 sets, I packed all the 3 big boxes into another box (as it's not safe to just wrap in bubble wrap and paper). Everything remains seal and unopen. The amount of the item are the same price.

Though I do agree that anything can happen during custom transit time. And I definitely do not want to lose a buyer, if he is geunine, yet neither do I want to give in to a scammer. That's why I'm asking for photo proof first. Getting them to send back is a good idea too.

I have made refunds a few times when buyers claim items received were damage (after photo proof and claim was made within 7 days), so I'm not sure whether I should made this an exception. Though I'm giving the benefit of doubt.
tchgiftsandthings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

etradersplace wrote:
...That's why I'm asking for photo proof first. Getting them to send back is a good idea too.

I agree... that's why I mention in my terms that two (2) pictures of any damaged items is required for refund.

TCH Gifts & Things
rowesemporium

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there! just an idea:
proof of damage with the photos is good, but also have them ship the damanged items back to you for a full refund or replacement (customers choice). they pay for return shipping (because it wasn't your fault that they got broken, or that he didn't purchase insurance). that's what a majority of companys policies are. in EACH of your listings, i would put a disclaimer at the bottom regarding damaged items. require they "purchase insurance on breakable items as you will not be responsible for uninsured damaged goods once they are shipped. returns are valid within 7 days." something like that. as long as it is in writing, and in your listing for all to see, then you're covered within the rules you set forth for the buyer to see. they then agree to follow them once purchase is made.

it seems like you have a pretty good customer base so far, so you might want to deal with this guy fairly (giving him the benefit of the doubt and just asking for pictures of the damage) and risk any "losses" on your end this time. just make him happy and keep him as a customer, because you never know how many people he can refer to your store if you just "treat him right" . (i've been in sales for a number of years and have seen this happen. the potential gain is worth the risk of losing a few bucks to make the customer happy. and even if he doesn't come back, it's still worth the risk because unhappy customers can leave bad feedback, you know?)

but i'd get that disclaimer into the listings right away and set the "rules" in black and white for your future customers to see, and avoid situations like this in the future. hope this helped! Smile
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimers are false and won't hold up in court. You are responsible for getting the item to your customer safely. Either you figure insurance into your shipping price or you prepare to be liable for breakage.

Buyers have no way of opting for extras like insurance and delivery confirmation when checking out of ecrater. Making insurance optional is not possible. A disclaimer is like giving the seller the right to pop blown glass in a paper bag and dropping it in a corner mailbox.

When I see disclaimers I move on. I know this is not a seller I want to deal with.
peachstategal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely they weren't all broken. Why don't you ask him to send a photo of all the chairs and then refund him for the ones that were damaged. I recently refunded $28 + shipping cost because an item was reported broken (sold on the Bay). The lady called me and was so apologetic, but, I told her that was just the cost of doing business and sometimes it just happens. I hated to lose the money but I believe she was being honest.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be crazy, but I have all kinds of rules and policies on my site and ecrater - but overall? I generally go with a gut instinct type of thing, and generally make sure my customer is happy - no matter what. It's sometimes not easy, and involves a lengthy nasty gram written in notepad only (so I don't email it on LOL), but once I do that - I'm ok, and just go with the flow.

Sometimes I lose money on it, but I always, always keep my customers Smile It's ever so much easier to keep a customer than to get out there and try to find a new on - my return shopping rate (according to website stats) is at 83%, so it does work out....good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: