eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Drive more traffic to your eCRATER store
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the post, but I also found this post over at Google stating that you have to have an active Adwords account which seems to conflict:

http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42896

Adding to the confusion, at the top of the link, Google seems to separate the badges into two camps - Adwords and Checkout. But by saying you have to have one before you can have the other, this just doesn't make sense.

I understand what you're saying. I'm actually a pretty patient person, and I know how to wait. But the wording Google has chosen invites all these questions, and it really needs to be clearly explained to all. If there's a problem we as sellers need to address with Google Checkout, we should know about it. Otherwise we can wait forever for Google to fix something that is our problem in the first place.

I only posted once. The software must have glitched.

Last edited by dccollectibles on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the double post - twice. We could use a delete post feature! lol

Last edited by dccollectibles on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already read that post the first time you posted it. No need to keep posting the same thing over and over.

And you can read my response to that post on the previous page.

And for heavens sakes don't post the same thing another time. No need to have half the topic covered with the same post.

BTW you are looking at the wrong place. That is why the answer seems not to make sense. You are looking at "Adwords and Google Checkout Badges" That's why it is saying it is a must. That is the badge apparing in Google Adwords.

We are talking about checkout badge appearing in Google product search. So you should have been looking at this: http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?answer=64771&topic=15841
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found that one too. I see your point but I still think it could have been made more clear. I think it's the use of the word "and" in that heading. Anyway, I'm going to chock this one up to missing the point and leave it at that.

Thanks for the explanation. That clears up a lot. Though it's been almost a month now. A week or two would have been fine, I guess. In any event, it would've been nice for ECRATER to send a notice of this to the sellers so they could've prepared a Plan B while this was all going down.

Now that I know this, I'm going to look for another venue to fill in the gaps while this update finishes. I'm going to assume this isn't a problem for all other web venues but limited to ECRATER?
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean your products being submitted from any other source to Google Product Search. Yeah they would be waiting for update as well. You realize that it has to do with sheer number of information being fed through Google Base right? All of the largest online stores (like Amazon, eBay) and brick and mortar store's online sites you can think of is feeding info to Google Product search. (Mainly because of the popularity of the Google name.)

If you post the product info (title and description) on any other site that feeds to Google Product search. You risk the info from one of those sources being repressed in the search results. Mostly the one you entered later.

You do not need to have a Google Checkout badge to be able to drive in traffic from Google Shopping or make sales. We did after all survived without it for quite a while here.

And before suggesting all kinds of emails to be sent please read the forum a bit more and familiarize yourself with the site. eCrater is too small and too overworked to do elective stuff like that. The info gets posted on the forum. All you need to do is stop by and read.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta disagree with you there.

I understand what you're saying, but we're dealing with computers here. Billions of bytes of information a second. It shouldn't take two MONTHS for an update to the Google database...unless there's a problem with the submission. Patience is a virtue...but there's a limit you know? And I'm not too sure about this "updating the listing helps" way of thinking. We've updated plenty, and it seems that WHEN/IF Google grabs the information, we find the OLD version. Seems that updating just delays things. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks.

As for the badge, no we don't need it...but anything that helps is welcome I'm sure you'll agree, and when this whole Google update business is happening, we need all the help we can get.

An automatic email mailing list would be very easy to set up (sent to the email address or user of the account) and would help SO much in informing the community, and I'm putting it in the suggestion box. Not everyone has the time to spend on a forum 24/7 looking for updates, but anyone can spend 3 minutes to open and read an email.

Sorry if I come off sour grapes, but we're dealing with peoples' livelihood here. It's important that we don't get "oh just wait it will all be fine soon" comments. We need at least SOME idea of what's going on. Otherwise, people will start looking at greener pastures and ecrater will suffer for it. And I don't know about you but I'd like to see MORE ebay competition, not LESS of it. Shocked
acread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the thing, you are free to believe what I wrote or not. You are welcome to ask Google what's the holdup and see if they give you any answers (and how soon). I know that if eCrater says they submitted, they did. They have no incentive to lie or hedge or anything of the kind.

So actually how is opening the forum and gazing at the topics and maybe the contents of the News section is any different than looking at emails. Personally I'd rather not have my inbox full of stuff to wade through. Anyway the info is here. You can open and read it anytime you want or not. That's up to you.

You want to sugest something to eCrater put it in the Suggestions section of the forum. That is the purpose of it.

You want to go for greaner pastures, you are welcome to do it anytime you like. It doesn't matter to me. I'm just another seller here. I try to help and inform people as much as I can. That is me saying thanks to eCrater for what they provided me for free. Apparently not everyone feels the same (if at all) gratitude for receiving such service for free. You can at any moment find a selling venue to your liking. And most likely pay for all that additional stuff you are asking. And most likely at the end will have the same issues with Google Base.

And Google Product Search is not the only place you can show advertise your merchandise. You have all kinds of advertising info available to you at the forum. You might want to take advantage of the rest of the internet. Which is far far greater than just Google Product Search.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,
I was never suggesting ecrater was lying about anything, only that whatever was being submitted or done wasn't working like it had been before December. And I know it can't take two months to sort that out. There has to be more to it that Google isn't letting everyone know. It's fine to support ecrater...they're providing a nice service and working environment that is ten times less stress than feebay for a heck of a lot less money. That being said, if traffic doesn't come...well it's just business. It's as simple as that. Whether I or anyone else wants to do something might be quickly outweighed by sales or exposure in this economy. Just facts.

And again...these exposure problems were not happening before the turn of the year. Sales would be nice, but the real problem is the exposure. Sales will come from that in time.

Personally I'd welcome a weekly newsletter to our inbox with the basics of what's going on within ecrater, any technical issues being worked out, and the general state of the community. I'm sure many of us here would enjoy and appreciate such a newsletter. I've already emailed ecrater about it and will post the suggestion. It doesn't have to be several emails a day, weekly is just fine. And then if something huge hits, sure an extra email here or there would be nice out of courtesy, but a forum sticky would be enough for that until the next newsletter. Compare that to having to wade through pages and pages of posts that might have nothing to do with the question you might have. It would be a BIG time saver and likely save a lot of repeated questions within the forum.

Hey for the record, I have nothing against ecrater. But when things aren't working, well you hear complaints. But never forget we complain because we care! We all want this site to be a HUGE success!

I'll check out the other advertising options around the forum.
Thanks for the suggestion. Smile
acread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You pay zero money. So I ask you where does the money come from to pay the persons who are going to create the newsletter? Where is the money to come to drive traffic to your site? Cause trust me bringing traffic to a site is a full time job (and for a site this size for more than one person). Where do you think all the fees eBay collects go? They for advertisements. It can't be cheap to have their name mentioned at least once in national morning news shows, and sometimes at prime time news at least once a week. It is expensive.

Anyway do what you like. I'm done with this topic.

Oh and by the way, I don't want answers to the questions I asked above. I wrote them to help you think. I really am not interested in what you come up with.
dccollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since you're not interested in replies to the topic this probably will fall on deaf ears but suffice it to say I'm not posting for your approval anyway. I'll just say one word...

Volunteers.

You're one. There will be others.

And with that, I'm done with the topic too.
acread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
GiftCentral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOGLE BASE AND GOOGLE PRODUCTS??? Reply with quote

Was just curious if there is a difference betweeen Google Base and Google Products? All of my items seem to show up in Google Products, but there are no items listed in Google Base.

When I use to sell on a different venue, there was a data feed that I had to schedule, and all of my items showed up in my Google Base account as well.

Is there a separate data feed to get items listed in my Google Base account, or is it even worth bothering with since all items automatically show up in Google Products?
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOGLE BASE AND GOOGLE PRODUCTS??? Reply with quote

GiftCentral wrote:
Was just curious if there is a difference betweeen Google Base and Google Products? All of my items seem to show up in Google Products, but there are no items listed in Google Base.

When I use to sell on a different venue, there was a data feed that I had to schedule, and all of my items showed up in my Google Base account as well.

Is there a separate data feed to get items listed in my Google Base account, or is it even worth bothering with since all items automatically show up in Google Products?

Google base is a feed that is fed to Google Shopping (used to be called Google PRoducts).
Your eCRATER store items are fed to google base but do not show in YOUR Google Base account because they are no submitted by you. On eCrater.com you are NOT required to even have a google base account because it's all done under the name of ecrater.com
make sense?
GiftCentral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure does. As always, thanks for the info Smile

Dawn @ http://www.giftcentral.ecrater.com
Garyscoins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is Google checkout the one that charges per click?
I tried to get through Google but when i got to the fee's i backed out cause i didnt know enough yet. and i dont want to pay a fee per click when 99% of the clicks on my acct are lurkers. i think Google is a good thing but am lost on the set up or i got it right and backed up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: