eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Avoid Earthlink
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrater
forum admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Avoid Earthlink Reply with quote

Earthlink are blocking our IP addresses, it's recommended for these eCRATER users whoi use earthlink email address to choose another email provider and avoid earthlink.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it mean when earthlink "blocks" our IP addresses? Sorry, I am not computer savy. I have few choises of internet providers, and currently use earthlink. What is the effect of earthlink's actions?

Thanks for the information!

VintageMoonbeams
acread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means if you are using an earthlink email account for your ecrater store, the Ask Seller a Question or any other communication coming from your store or eCrater (like order notices, feedback email, etc) will be blocked by earthlink. They will never reach your email account (your inbox or your spam folder).

An IP address is a unique number used to identify each computer connected to the internet.

Just because you are using them as ISP does not mean you have to use only their email account.
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a yahoo account for my "Ask Seller a Question", and have been getting emails ok, I think. I received an eCRATER order email through that account this morning. It did come through slowly (this may be normal). I had received notification directly from PayPal (through earthlink account) way earlier, and actually had already packed and shipped the item this morning, before I got the order email from eCRATER into yahoo email account.

Just wondering, why would earthlink block eCRATER's IP addresses? Is this something that earthlink users should talk to earthlink about? How can this be changed? For me to change my email provider would be almost impossible.

I guess I need to check and make sure all of my stores "Ask Seller a Question" emails are going to the yahoo account.

What else would this IP address thing affect? I am trying to think this through, to make sure I am not missing out on something.

Does this affect correspondance from Google Checkout?

Thanks for the information!

Have a great day!

VintageMoonbeams
acread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vintagemoonbeams wrote:
I am using a yahoo account for my "Ask Seller a Question", and have been getting emails ok, I think. I received an eCRATER order email through that account this morning. It did come through slowly (this may be normal).

This has nothing to do with earthlink email accounts since you are using a yahoo email account.

Quote:
I had received notification directly from PayPal (through earthlink account) way earlier, and actually had already packed and shipped the item this morning, before I got the order email from eCRATER into yahoo email account.

Any email sent from PayPal will come from PayPal's computers (hence from those computers IP addresses. which are not banned). That has nothing to do with eCrater's IP being banned by earthlink. Different computers, hence different IP addresses.
Quote:
Just wondering, why would earthlink block eCRATER's IP addresses? Is this something that earthlink users should talk to earthlink about? How can this be changed? For me to change my email provider would be almost impossible.

Why you already have a yahoo account and are using that at your store. So this has nothing to do with you. As I said having earthlink is irrelevant. Having earthlink and using earthlinks email address are two separate things.

Don't change your internet service provider from earthlink. Just don't use and earthlink email address as the email address in your eCrater accounts (Profile section). You don't need to do anything. Use your yahoo or gmail email account. They work fine with eCrater.

I don't know why eathlink did what they did. I think only earthlink would know that.
Quote:
Does this affect correspondance from Google Checkout?

Just as it has nothing to do with PayPal, it has nothing to do with Google.
fittingsandthings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I will change mine now. I wonder how many other instances where my incoming e-mail has been blocked.

Thank you! Wink
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthlink has a long history of playing God with emails. I know a lot of people (personal) who have had Earthlink and have abandoned them before they did something really terrible to their lives.

Slowness of emails has more to do with spam filters. I checked this out with my ISP when my emails starting taking forever to come through. I can read and respond to my emails faster than they come into my mailbox.
fittingsandthings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any plans to contact earthlink to allow the ip address here to work with their e-mail? Do I need to contact them? Will it help?

I have my earthlink e-mail (for business) up all the time with Thunderbird and my personal yahoo e-mail always signed in. I also registered with all of my google apps like checkout and ad-sense with my earthlink address so creating a gmail account and keeping that one logged on would be a slight pain.

Please advise.
acread

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why insist using an email service that might cut up incoming mail (some you actually want to get. and not just from ecrater. there might be others they are banning too). better use different email service. there are tons out there. a lot of them work just fine. not worth your time to ask them please to change stuff. lol
fittingsandthings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's the only one that I can think of that give pop access without a charge. Maybe I should look around. Time to bust out some coffee!

Thanks for the kick in the ass, you're right!
momsretro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a domain through Godaddy they give you a free email.

I kept having glitches with getting eCrater notices on one of my accounts so now I've set up that address to send me a duplicate to a second email account just to be safe!
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fittingsandthings wrote:
Well, it's the only one that I can think of that give pop access without a charge. Maybe I should look around. Time to bust out some coffee!

Thanks for the kick in the ass, you're right!

Why not get the free gmail account - use it BUT forward everything to your earthlink from there.
I THINK you can set it to forward and keep a copy in the gmail account.
Then you can test it for a bit and see that you are getting all the forward emails.
It should get your your ecrater emails.
I would try it and see what happens.
blueridgecollectors

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Earthlink? Reply with quote

I cannot believe that company is still around! We dumped them many years ago. There are just to many better places to get better service
fittingsandthings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Earthlink? Reply with quote

blueridgecollectors wrote:
I cannot believe that company is still around! We dumped them many years ago. There are just to many better places to get better service

I couldn't agree with you more. I have never been a fan of paying more money for crappy service DSL than cable. 90% of Miami residents have Satellite TV and either Earthlink or BellSouth DSL. Being from NJ, I prefer cable across the board. My wife is originally from Miami and trying to get her to break old ways is hard. I've even tried the money issue. Cable TV, internet and phone from Comcast will be $45 cheaper per month EVEN after the 12 month triple play program's introductory offer.

Oh well...
LettiesAttic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is interesting. I like the Earthlink service I get. But I've been wondering why I haven't gotten any questions, especially on a certain item getting a lot of hits. I do get my notices of sales from ecrater. To be on the safe side I'm going to change my contact email to my Gmail account. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: