eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Britains Got Talent
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aspencounty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Britains Got Talent Reply with quote

Don't know if your are a fan of American Idol but I saw this British version on the news today and thought it worth sharing.

I'm something of a hard case but I have to admit this put a big lump in my throat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQCkizx4UI
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
bthomas2009

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im british and when i started to watch that i was thinking oh no here we go the shame but that was actually good have you seen these they are called flawless http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GrOMLylvhQ
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. The two people above me have listened/watched the YOU TUBE video. I would like to but as usual can't. I have never been able to watch YT and no one can tell me what is missing on my computer, what I'm doing wrong. I have modern computer, high speed internet. The problem is the same no matter what computer I am using.

Is she as good as Paul Potts?
bthomas2009

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes she is as good but in a different way i dont know why you cant watch utube videos though have you got a media player on your computer im not very technical im afraid sorry and have tried asking the shop where you bought the computer i have been able to watch utube when i had a pc and now both me and my partner use laptops because they take up less room but we can still watch utube videos it doesnt make any sense sorry icant be more help you are missing out
aspencounty

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:
Okay. The two people above me have listened/watched the YOU TUBE video. I would like to but as usual can't. I have never been able to watch YT and no one can tell me what is missing on my computer, what I'm doing wrong. I have modern computer, high speed internet. The problem is the same no matter what computer I am using.

I can't promise anything without digging in to your computer but if are are willing to supply a bit of information I may be able to make some recommendations that could help.

First you need to run a download speed test to determine what your actual download speed is. Lots of ISPs will tell you one thing but what you are actually getting may be different.

Go to this site and run a test and write down your download speed results. Mine is 1.20Mb/s from AT&T Broad Band which is on the lower end.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Next right click "My Computer" on your desk top then click "Properties". This will open the "System Properties" box.

I'm assuming you are running Vista but I need to know which Service Pack. The top of the page will say something like: Windows Vista: Home Basic: Version XXXX: Service Pack X.

Now look near the bottom of the page for the amount of RAM. It will like something like 3.99 GB Ram.

Lastly, if you are using multiple computers connected by a wireless router, I need the name and model #

If you will provide this info we may be able to narrow down any problems.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the you tube - I saw a clipping on the news.

Aside from the lady being a fantastic singer, it was priceless to see the stunned look on Simon's face as she sang!
MagicCardHaven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't watch YT, your browser's probably missing a plugin. Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player (version 9 is the latest I think).
momsretro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie; Some of the news websites have her clip imbedded in their stories. Are you able to see them?

Hurray for late bloomers!
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kept persisting but to no avail. At first I could get it to start and then it would freeze after about 40-50 seconds. Then I started getting the message that I either had an old Java that wasn't turned on or needed an updated Adobe Flash. My Java is current and on and working because I do crossword puzzles that require it and they are working. Also Adobe claims to have installed the latest version.

I have Vista Home Premium. Haven't looked at the rest yet.

Back to Britain's Got Talent. The judges did the same thing when Paul Potts first came on stage in his baggy suit and bad teeth announcing he was going to sing opera.

I actually prefer the British version to the American Idol. Anyone can exhibit their particular talent. AI it seems is only looking for the person most willing to look and sound exactly like the latest teen idol. They all sound alike and talentless at the beginning and alike with honed skills by the end. Cookie cutter sells in America.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had TEARS in my eyes listening to her angelic voice!!!!!
I think all 3 judges did too!!!
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maggie, you are correct for the most part. I think the US show is looking for a particular type of singer, thus you do end up with the cookie cutter and in many cases, limited talent. That's probably why we have American Idol and America's Got Talent.

Having said that, I do have to mention our nashville 'daughter', Melinda Doolittle. She didn't win...she also didn't end up cookie cutter. Part of her problem was the fact she wasn't quite as teeny looking at some of the others. She never quite got the polish thing they were looking for either. But on the up side, she has made a name for herself here in Nashville - she does do benefit appearances and performances. And she did end up with a record contract.

It's just so nice hearing people embrace someone who can actually sing a song rather than screech it!
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still haven't heard the lady sing. The news programs from ET to NBC to CBC all talk about her but never play more than a bar or two or her voice. They all say go to our website to hear the whole performance but they all link to YouTube and they still won't let me listen. I heard Oprah is trying to book her. Maybe I will hear her there. I can always get Oprah.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally I saw the video on the Huffington Post. Same thing as is shown on YT. Don't know why my computer will work with one and not the other.

Wonderful voice but I don't think of it as angelic. She really belts it out, more like Streisand or Fitzgerald.

I think that woman will die happy even if she never sings again because she did something that definitely took as much guts as talent. The other day I picked up a pendant in the shape of a wing and on it is inscribed a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt, "You must do the thing you think you cannot do." Susan Boyle did it. Go, Susan!
VenomAddiktion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Britains Got Talent Reply with quote

aspencounty wrote:
Don't know if your are a fan of American Idol but I saw this British version on the news today and thought it worth sharing.

I'm something of a hard case but I have to admit this put a big lump in my throat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALQCkizx4UI

*jaw on floor* help? Very Happy
YayBeads

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was most incredible. After I watched it, I brought my kids in...to teach them NEVER judge a book by its cover. Then I dragged my hub in, so three of the 6,000,000+ Utube hits were mine.

Susan Boyle is the J.K. Rowling of music.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: