eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Recommendations for website builder & domain name info
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tchgiftsandthings

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for website builder & domain name info Reply with quote

I've been surfing around checking out different sites and programs to build an off eC website. Can anyone give me any suggestions and examples as to maybe what you have used and liked or heard good things about? Something I can use to launch back to my eC store(s) and add reciprocal links to like some of you already do. Thanks... Tom Very Happy
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread on the selling board.
http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1250
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you buy your domain name at godaddy.com you get a free web page.

You can call them 24/7 if you have questions or use their email support.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GoDaddy too and have been pretty happy. I signed up two or three years ago and they've increased what I get for my money several times -- bandwidth, storage space, etc.
ClassicTreasures

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Can you transfer an existing domain name you purchased at godaddy.com - to ecrater? Thanks.
tchgiftsandthings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies... Tom Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicTreasures wrote:
Hi. Can you transfer an existing domain name you purchased at godaddy.com - to ecrater? Thanks.

ecrater.com is NOT a hosting service so TRANSFERRING your domain is NOT what you want to do.

You want to FORWARD it. And yes, that is just a matter of clicking the FORWARD domain box on godaddy.
tchgiftsandthings

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
ClassicTreasures wrote:
...You want to FORWARD it. And yes, that is just a matter of clicking the FORWARD domain box on godaddy.
BigTall.. can you explain this a little bit? How would forwarding a registered domain to eC be used?... Tom Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tchgiftsandthings wrote:
BigTall.. can you explain this a little bit? How would forwarding a registered domain to eC be used?... Tom Very Happy

OK --- I have www.GagGiftsRUs.com - I own that domain name BUT I have no hosting space linked to it at this time. I have it FORWARD so when you go to www.GagGiftsRUs.com it takes you to www.GagGiftsRUs.ecrater.com and you don't even realise it --- unless you look at the URL line on your browser. If it was masked it would still read www.GagGiftsRUs.com not www.GagGiftsRUs.ecrater.com
We have learned in another post that MAKSING it has 2 issues
#1 (the reason I dont' mask) is that if a person adds a specific item to their favorites or bookmarks it - that URL still shows www.GagGiftsRUs.com and therefore what they end up saving is NOT the specific item BUT the home page. That makes it hard for them to come back to the specific item they were looking at.
#2 If you use Masking with ecrater.com it is now known to not allow buyers to pay using PayPal - and probably google checkout - why? because the name in the URL isn't matching at the payment center end and then things just don't work.

A domain name is great for name recognition and it's much shorter for business cards etc. BUT the best thing is If you have a domain name and you forward it to ecrater.com buyers get used to your name - they type in www.GagGiftRus.com not www.GagGiftsRUs.ecrater.com so when I make millions and can afford my own place they buyers won't have to do anything different and I won't need all new business cards, etc. AND all my posted links on the internet and in previous emails etc - will all still be working!

PLUS feature of owning a domain name -
If you have a domain from godaddy and from most other place it comes with FREE emails! I think I have like 500 emails with GagGiftsRUs.com. Now don't sales@GagGiftsRUs.com look much more professional then say some like blahblah@hotmail.com or blahblah@yahoo.com

A domain name for a business is a MUST in my books! That's my own opinion. I think I have 10 different domain names.

NOW, www.BigNTallMensClothing.com is NOT forwarded to ecrater.com becuase I have hosting with that name and I use that webpage as a home page for www.bigtallmensclothing.ecrater.com

I hope I explained this it a way that you all understand. If not --- ask away!
tchgiftsandthings

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BigTall. So.. masking creates a payment problem with PP & maybe GC and forwarding doesn't. A domain name with no hosting should be forwarded and a domain name with hosting (webpage) can simply be the homepage for our eC site. Great information!...

One other question. I see some of these domain/webpage plans have storage capacities of say 50MB and up. What is your take on this?... Tom Very Happy
thelangcompanysilverjewel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does GagGiftsRUs.com have a myspace page?

Very Happy

www.myspace.com/tracylarue
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelangcompanysilverjewel wrote:
Does GagGiftsRUs.com have a myspace page?

Very Happy

www.myspace.com/tracylarue

Yes it does.
www.myspace.com/gaggiftsrus
zickit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One other question. I see some of these domain/webpage plans have storage capacities of say 50MB and up. What is your take on this?...

If you are only using it for a home page - You don't need much space at all. You can always increase the space when you need to.
texairsoft

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tchgiftsandthings wrote:
Thanks BigTall. So.. masking creates a payment problem with PP & maybe GC and forwarding doesn't.

I use domain forwarding and masking throuhg godaddy. I use google checkout, and I have not had any problems with payment processing. I can not speak for paypay though.
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texairsoft - others have reported having problems using PayPal and the ecrater.com reported that it was due to masking of the domain name. Since Google works differently it may not be an issue there.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: