eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Do you pay for packaging?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sprout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def. the box.

I use recycled shipping boxes from various stores in the area, but splurged and got a HUGE roll of kraft paper to wrap the boxes in when I ship them. They look so beautiful and clean when they arrive. It was a lot of money for the paper, but it's going to last me forever and it adds so much to the presentation of the package when it arrives. I think it's worth it to invest in packaging-it's the first impression your customers get of your business, even before they use the candles.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful using kraft paper to wrap boxes. Use lots of clear tape especially over the address label. The paper can catch on things and get ripped off.
sprout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Maggie. We wrap them up TIGHT! Very Happy
katzzskloset

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just adding my 2 cents worth. I also like the box, looks clean and neat.

Quote:
got a HUGE roll of kraft paper to wrap the boxes in when I ship them.

Doesn't the kraft paper add to the weight of the package? I have that paper but it is heavy so I don't use it because of the weight issue. I try to keep my shipping supplies down and shipping costs to buyers down, unless I eat the extra weight for the wrap.
barbara
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doesn't the kraft paper add to the weight of the package?

What you going to use that is lighter then paper?
I certainly wouldn't use tissue paper to ship in.
katzzskloset

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wrap my boxes with paper. I just put the mailing label on it, tape it up and its good to go. The wrapping of the item on the inside to me is very important. There is nothing wrong with the looks of my boxes. I was just curious as to the added weight for that kraft paper Smile
Barbara
sprout

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the extra weight. I estimate all my shipping weights, and what we charge vs. what we actually pay comes in very, very close each month, with us ending up in the black each time. One of these days I will get a shipping scale, but until then, this is working. Of course the box and paper adds weight, but when you are dealing with as many random items as my customers buy, it just doesn't matter that much. Someone yesterday bought a wire file folder holder, several science prisms, some metal thermometers and a banner-the box had to be huge for the file folder holder, yet only weighed about 1.5 pounds. The weight of the box and paper was the least of my concerns.
katzzskloset

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning a scale is great. I have one and am very happy with it. I use to guestimate before the scale and was in the red a few times, but I still was ahead with the cost of the product, meaning it wasn't a loss.
I guess it really doesn't matter whether you use paper or not and that its a personal preference.
Thanks for all your feedback
Barbara
kjscreations

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents.... IMO every online seller should have a scale. "guessing" can make you "bite it" most of the time. Taking every item to the PO just to weigh is just plain crazy. Scales are cheap now & should be a staple in your office.
heartofvirginiaantiques

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recycle packing materials whenever possible, but there always does come a point where I have to buy stuff. I am just lucky enough to work in a place where good boxes and packing material are usually readily available.

I was reading about the candle shipping and I think that's great that y'all want to make a nice presentation with the packing, it does make a nice impression. BUT as a buyer (and again this is my own personal preference) I care more about (especially with breakables and in the case of candles 'meltables') whether or not the item is packaged so that it arrives to me SAFELY. Pretty is nice but not required in my book. I swear it just sends me into a tizzy when I buy a breakable online and it's just shoved in a cruddy box with one sheet of newspaper or tissue paper around it. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: