eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Have others opted for domain names to link to your store?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tscsales

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Have others opted for domain names to link to your store? Reply with quote

I'm curious how many folks have gone the route of getting domain names for their ecater sites that link directly to it. I set one up last year and decided to finally do it on the other too. I figure this way I can pass out the domain name more easily and get folks to the stores here.

Mine are:

http://tsc-sales.com/ and http://silverscreenbooks.com/
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
vintagemoonbeams

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Domain name questions? Reply with quote

Good morning! TSCSales, I have been wondering if folks use their eCRATER store name for their domain name, or a derivative of the eCRATER name as you did?

I have a brick and mortar antique shop, and was wondering if I should use the antique shop name as the domain name?

Do you buy a domain name for each eCRATER store, or do you just use the one domain to point to all of your eCRATER stores (I have three)?

TSCSales, I am glad you asked this question, and hope it is ok if I add my questions?

Have a wonderful Sunday!

VintageMoonbeams
acread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Domain name questions? Reply with quote

vintagemoonbeams wrote:
Do you buy a domain name for each eCRATER store, or do you just use the one domain to point to all of your eCRATER stores (I have three)?

That is not physically possible. That is directing one domain name to multiple sites. Which one is the computer supposed to pull when you type in the name? One name, one site.

What you can do however is to setup a gateway page with links to your various sites (stores) and have the domain name point (forward, mask, whatever process that is) to your gateway page.
tscsales

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two stores and have created two individual names for each store. My first store was the tscsales.ecrater.com store (which was my ID on eBay originally), but tscsales alone wasn't available, so I went with the hyphenated version. I bought the domain silverscreenbooks.com last year and that points to my silverscreenbooks.ecrater.com store.
atticinthewoods

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your domain name does not need to match your ecrater store name.

I have a separate domain for each store that I redirect to go to my ecrater stores.

http://NostalgiaNutCollectibles.com (same name as my ecrater store)

http://VintageSewingandCraftShop.com (not the same as the vintage sewing shop because someone else already had it, but it is re-directed to my store here, thevintagesewingshop).

Hope that helps,
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have a bunch of domain names.
I have My "parent" company name that links to all my clothing ecrater.com stores. www.FilthyRichFashions.com
Each of my ecrater.com stores has their own domain name - like the BigTallMensClothing store has www.BigNTallMensClothing.com my ecrater store - formaldresses has www.FormalLongDresses.com

I always do my best to get the keywords in my domain name.

I have tons of webspace so most of my domain names have a doorway page or a site that then directs to my ecrater.com stores.
Having the webpage is not necessary BUT having a domain name makes you look more like a businesses. Having one that comes with email so you can have an official looking email address even makes you appear more serious about your business.

Quote:
I figure this way I can pass out the domain name

that's exactly why I do it. And no matter which store or where I am selling I have everything listed in one place.
If buyers like me as a seller they might just check out what else I sell.

Also, on my packing slip the bottom half is a listing of all my other stores and the stores I manage.
momsretro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same domain name as my shop and it has a cooking, collectible theme. I have my eCrater widget on every page and a few themed pages with a feed from my store.
myvintagetoybox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is very wise to purchase the domain name. Someone could buy "myvintagetoybox.com" while I am myvintagetoybox.ecrater.com and that would make promoting/searching/product feeds very confusing. In fact, I think something like that may have happened to someone here on ecrater.

My 2 cents
kjscreations

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domains are so cheap... I have a domain for almost all of my ecrater stores. Some forward directly, some have a front page & link in & some have full sites but I link different items to my different stores.
ggpelectronics

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone inform on how I can point a domain to my eCrater store? I have domains on GoDaddy. Is it an easy process?

Thanks.

Edit:
Never mind. I found the answer by doing a quick community search.

http://www.ecrater.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=16059&highlight=domain
kjscreations

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go into your account & under domains... then your domain will be listed.. i Think it says "manage domain" (something like that) & you will see a "forward" button.

Oh... I think there is a "mask" button... MAKE sure that is NOT turned on.
YayBeads

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I bought the GoDaddy domain and hosting.

I know html.

But I have no idea how to get the html onto the domain. HELP! Confused
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I have no idea how to get the html onto the domain. HELP!

HUH??

What do you want done?

Do you want to just forward the domain to your store?
or
do you want something else done?
acread

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think maybe she means she doesn't know how to forward it to her store site.

Is that right Wellspring? Or are you refering to preparing a gateway page?
my-little-e-shop-in-ukraine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the domain name my-little-shops.com

Which for me is great as I have more than 20 ecrater stores which all start my-little-

I want to create a landing page that when someone arrives at the page it might have 20 boxes on that page each with one of my store names and a product from that store and when you click over that product it takes you to the related ecrater store.

Has anyone done this before? And how is it done?

I have the idea. I am sure it can be done.

Just not sure how Confused

Thanks in advance for any help Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: