eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

HELP - I need a gift for a 90 yr old male!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: HELP - I need a gift for a 90 yr old male! Reply with quote

My Grandfather turned 90 in June. Due to my niece graduation in NC from law school, my youngest High School graduation in Denver family wasn't able to gather in Chicago for the event. So we are going to gather in August when we can all make it.

By the time you are 90 you have everythign you need or want.
BUT I need a gift --- don't I?
Yeah, I think so. Only I honestly just now thought about this! And I have NO CLUE what-so-ever to get him.
Anything he needs or wants he buys!
For example -
He loves word search books - he has 2 unopened boxes of them about 24 in a box! So he has enough of them for a while.
He like jigsaw puzzles, but the eyes aren't what they used to be, so he takes his time and in about 3-5 months he finishes it up, clues them and then can't figure out where to put any more of them, LOL

I leave for Chicago 7/31/09 so I don't have alot of time.
Ordering something now would have to be delivered to him directly - which means I still don't walk in with a gift, LMAO!

I am thinking maybe something like -- a simple thing
maybe a cake in a mug that he can make for himself in the microwave when he wants it!
If I thought I could cook a home cooked meal would be great BUT my cooking skills are worse then his, lol

SO, what's your ideas?
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about those postage stamps that you can personilize. I am planning on giving my mother, who also has everything but a computer, them for Christmas. She is going to get stamps with a picture of her Granddog on them. I would get her a computer, but she does not want one. She would rather pay her bills by mailing a check than online. So I think postage stamps with her favorite Granddog will make a good stamp.
I don't think you would have enough time for these though if you are leaving right away. This is really hard to think of something. I am sure you will have many great ideas from the other posters. How nice that you are going to visit him. My grandpa meant everything to me.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather also lived to a ripe old age and independently. He had accumulated so many shirts and sweaters and night shirts by then that you couldn't fit any more in his drawers. He never took the cardboard out of the new shirts so we knew he didn't wear them, and every once in a while my mother would make him toss a sweater and put on a new one as he had gotten unsteady with the eating utensils.

We used to pull our hair out over what to get him. One year at Christmas we got him a great big poinsettia. It was red and he loved red. So he put it on his desk in a sunny window. That poinsettia which probably never got more than a cup of water in its life outlived my grandfather. It never stopped blooming and stayed full and bushy.

A bottle of booze if he still likes a tipple, a basket filled with things he can nuke or, a meal out at his favorite restaurant, or a visit to a spot he couldn't get to alone or a new place that has opened since he was frisky might be better than a gift.

I once had a neighbor who must have been about ninety and, every time I asked if I could get him anything from the store, would hand me $10 for a girly magazine. It's the little things that count at that age.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a time line book? It might take a little work to come up with illustrations.

The year he was born, 1919 xx was happening in the world. Then add something humorous about him. Was he born at home? Was he the first, last or middle child? (if middle or first, don't forget to mention how his world changed when the next kid came along)

Did he graduate from high school? That would be about 1937, durring the depression. Surely he has told you stories about that.

What was happening in the world when he got married?

My cousins did this for my aunt for her 90th birthday. Major milestones in her life were compared to what was happening in the world. It was done with a touch of humor and reminded all of us how much the world has changed during her lifetime. (think of life without air conditioning, not everybody had a car, party lines for telephone service)
asaneagifts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... for occasions like these, I'd suggest something you can make yourself. As this adds to the sentimental value and is unique. Considering the amount of time you only have left until your trip, it'd be nice to make a slideshow or movie that can be viewed over and over again on the computer/tv. Easier on the eyes than reading! Choose the best or funniest family photos from across generations. Add special effects (panning, fireworks, etc) to make it extra special. The DVD/CD takes up minimal space. And each slideshow or movie can be themed. So you can grow the project into a collection of slideshows. 2 cents worth! Cool
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my grandmother's 80th.... we paid for a years subscription to her newspaper (she read faithfully every day)... or my mom paid for my other grandma's cable. Does he like candy.... I could do a "90 sucks" with suckers candy bouquet like this... something like that.

My dad turned 75 & I sent a $25 McDonalds gift card cuz he has breakfast with his "cronies" there a couple times a week. I wrote "have breakfast on me" in the card.

So there are a few ideas.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather married my grandmother in 1967 and I wasn't that old.
We are his only family, he was never married before that nor had any kids of his own. Time line would be fun IF I knew more about where he was when. Heck, if he allowed me to go in the attic I know it's all there, lol. His satchel from high school is up there filled with the books and papers that were in it his last day of school. I know because I seen that just a couple years ago. He lived in this house since his high school days. YES, it's like a musuem up in that attic! You should see all his mothers stuff that's up there!

I really don't have any old photos. I left home with what fit in a car and drove 1000 miles when I moved out. Moved several times since then too. Grandpa took most of the slides of all the family events so he has them. I have a cd my brother put together for us from photos he found in my parents house after they past. BUT most of them are just us as kids.

Quote:
we paid for a years subscription to her newspaper (she read faithfully every day)

OK don't laugh but my grandpa and his neighbor have shared the newspaper for at least 40 years that I know of. The neighbor gets it delivered, reads it then rolls it up and delivers it to my grandpa. Sunday's paper comes with a coffee cake!

Quote:
My dad turned 75 & I sent a $25 McDonalds gift card cuz he has breakfast with his "cronies" there a couple times a week. I wrote "have breakfast on me" in the card.

hhhmmm I know he used to (not sure if he still gets out much) go to Burger King after church and meet up with the "young ladies". He was the only guy and the oldest by 5 years if I remember right. They would even call the BK if one of them was not going to be there so no one would worry! lol
woohoobaby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTMC - Definitely give him a batch of Cake-In-A-Mug with a 10-12 oz. ceramic mug! My mother is a private nurse and tends to elderly patients, and she says they all have sweet tooths who love receiving boxes of chocolates, cakes and cookies. Very Happy

I now have a couple dozen cake and glaze mixes in little baggies stored in my cupboards so we can have cake any time of day and night. I took the recipe from The Lounge forum and tweeked it. It's now less in calories (new recipe: 225 calories, old recipe: 550 calories) and you only have to add a bit of oil and water since it contains dried egg powder - not fresh, so it's very easy to store and have on hand. I've listed my revised recipe below.

******* CAKE-MIX *******

1 box cake mix, any flavor
1 3.9-oz. size instant pudding mix, any flavor
5 teaspoons egg replacement powder (Deb-El Egg Replacement)
8-10 plastic sandwich baggies with wire twists
Optional: 1-tablespoon of chocolate chips (or any favorite chips) for each baggie

Blend dry cake mix, dry instant pudding mix and dry egg replacement powder in a large bowl. Measure out dry mixture in 1/2-cup servings into individual baggies. Optional: Add 1-tablespoon of chocolate chips (or any favorite chips) into each baggie. Secure tightly with a wire twist. Add a ribbon for gifts. Cake-mix will stay fresh up to the expiration date on the cake mix box. Tag each tightly secured cake-mix baggie with the expiration date, or print expiration date on each cake-mix baggie with a permanent ink marker: "Expires 00/00/0000"

Cake Mix Flavor Ideas:
Lemon Cake Mix - Lemon Pudding
Yellow Cake Mix - Vanilla Pudding
Devils Food Cake Mix - Dark Chocolate Pudding
Red Velvet Cake Mix - Chocolate Pudding
Carrot Cake Mix - Butterscotch Pudding
White Cake Mix - Cheesecake Pudding or any of the above

******* CAKE-GLAZE *******

1 16-oz. box of confectioners powdered sugar
Additional plastic sandwich baggies with wire twists

Measure individual 1/4-cup servings of powdered confectioners sugar into each baggie and secure tightly with a wire twist. Add a ribbon for gifts.

Cake-Glaze Flavor Ideas:
Add 1/4-teaspoon of one flavor to individual cake-glaze baggie: Match the cake-mix to the cake-glaze flavor with dry powdered lemonade mix, or powdered orange drink mix, or powdered cocoa, or instant dry espresso, etc. Tag or mark each cake-glaze baggie with flavor used. (Do not use sugar-free powdered mixes.)

******* HOW TO MAKE CAKE-IN-A MUG WITH GLAZE *******
Grease a large microwaveable ceramic mug with shortening, margarine, butter, or vegetable spray. Open baggie containing the cake-mix and empty into the greased ceramic mug. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 5 tablespoons of water. Blend with a fork until smooth. Place in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes (your microwave time may vary). Very carefully remove the hot ceramic mug from the microwave and let sit on a stable counter untouched and unglazed for 5 minutes.

While cake is cooling off open the cake-glaze baggie and add 1/2 teaspoon of water (add more or less water for desired thickness of glaze). Re-close baggie while pushing out air, then secure tightly again with the wire twist. Gently roll the baggie between your hands until the glaze is smooth. Make a small slanted cut in a corner of the cake-glaze baggie to squeeze the glaze onto your cake-in-a-mug. Eat straight from the mug with a spoon. Delicious topped with ice cream!

Fun Gift Idea:
Copy the following procedures separately on small paper and roll into scroll-style cylinders to tuck into a ribbon and attach to each cake-mix and glaze-mix baggies. Stuff the two separate baggie mixes into a large decorative ceramic mug to give-away. Makes perfect gifts to give to teachers, friends at the office, or to that special birthday person!

CAKE-IN-A-MUG
Grease a large microwaveable ceramic mug with shortening, margarine, butter, or vegetable spray. Open baggie containing the cake-mix and empty into the greased ceramic mug. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil and 5 tablespoons of water. Blend with a fork until smooth. Place in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes (your microwave time may vary). Very carefully remove the hot ceramic mug from the microwave and let sit on a stable counter untouched for 5 minutes.

CAKE-GLAZE
Open the cake-glaze baggie and add 1/2 teaspoon of water (add more or less water for desired thickness of glaze). Re-close baggie while pushing out air, then secure tightly again with the wire twist. Gently roll the baggie between your hands until the glaze is smooth. Make a small slanted cut in a corner of the cake-glaze baggie to squeeze the glaze onto your cake-in-a-mug. Eat your cake straight from the mug with a spoon. Delicious topped with a scoop of ice cream!
EccentricThrifter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Picture This Reply with quote

At this advanced age they often have super memories of long-ago times. How about a photo of him with his grandchildren, or his siblings, maybe that big fish he caught years ago; some super happy time that he loves to remember and maybe hasn't thot about in years. Enlarged and framed anyone would like that! Remember it's the thought that counts!
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't have any old photos. I have ever few with my kids when they were little and I don't have any at all with him in them.
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother had Alzheimers. The last couple of years of her life we gave her really soft stuffed animals.
woohoobaby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea: you can send him monthly goodies by Mrs. Beasley's. Choose from 3, 6, or 12 month plans of their cakes, cookies, cupcakes or wine. I always get their cakes for holiday-giving myself since I'm not far from their store - their baked goodies are delicious!

Mrs. Beasley's:
http://www.mrsbeasleys.com/MonthlyPlans.cfm?ProductGroupID=16&SubPGID=85&ExtendedList=GetSBO_16
goldfashionmine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't you just take him out for a real good dinner?

i think that's the best gift for any family members. you get to share it, too! hehe...

90...wow, he has really lived a long, long life!

or you can buy him a cake from a good bakery, too.

i love cakes! that is another gift i like to give. cuz, again you get to share it hehehehhe....

but cake in a cup? what is that? i doubt he will take the time to bake a cake??

another good gift is just photos of you guys...anything recent. make it into a photo collage. that's memorable. and he can show it off to others.

hope you find the perfect gift for him.

oh yeah, fruits are good gifts, too. peaches, plums, cherries....

it's the thought that counts.
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say if he lives alone and if not who with. If alone, I'd take him a big basket full of individual servings of nuts, chocolates, crackers and cheese, or anything his teeth and stomach can still handle. If he doesn't have teeth, take him a basket of baby food.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is extremely healthy. Has just about all his own teeth. He only takes ONE pill for high blood pressure.

I went shopping for the cake stuff today.

I can not find POWDERED EGGS anywhere.
I got the rest of the stuff now and no powdered eggs.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: