eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Combined shipping???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinenterprises

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Combined shipping??? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I'm doing this wrong...

I wanted to set things up to save buyers a little on shipping. Even with some serious packaging, a CD isn't going to weigh a full pound - so I listed their weight at 0.5 lbs, thinking that if a person buys just 1 they'll be charged for the 1 lb weight, and if they buy 2 they'll still be charged just 1 lb.

But... I just read in another post that putting a 0 in the item weight doesn't work. That makes me think that maybe putting a 0.5 won't work either. So how can I give my buyers a break on shipping?

Also, I have my US prices set up on the shipping matrix based on USPS Media Mail, since most of what I (eventually) sell will qualify for it. For the few items that don't qualify, do I enter the higher shipping rate on each listing? (It's no problem doing that, I just want to make sure that's the right way to do it.)

Thanks for any info!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinenterprises wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm doing this wrong...

I wanted to set things up to save buyers a little on shipping. Even with some serious packaging, a CD isn't going to weigh a full pound - so I listed their weight at 0.5 lbs, thinking that if a person buys just 1 they'll be charged for the 1 lb weight, and if they buy 2 they'll still be charged just 1 lb.

That is exactly how you should enter them.

But be warned if you set it that way for an order with 5 CD's (2.5 lb weight) the buyer will get charged shipping for a 4 lb package.

You might want to just use the USPS calculated shipping (also refered to as shipping calculator) instead of the shipping matrix for your shipping settings. Then you can just enter weights of items and eCrater will summ up the weights of items in the order ask USPS for postage based on zipcodes and shipping method chosen. Much simpler.

Of course if you turn on your shipping calculator keeping the shipping matrix as a backup method (in case USPS fails to give response, which happens from time to time. Not often, but it does.) is a good idea.
Quote:
But... I just read in another post that putting a 0 in the item weight doesn't work. That makes me think that maybe putting a 0.5 won't work either.

That is nonsence. That zero being talked about is just zero. There are no decimals or digits after decimals as you have in 0.5 (point is the decimal, 5 is the digit after the decimal). Completely different things.
Quote:
So how can I give my buyers a break on shipping?

See above comments.
Quote:
Also, I have my US prices set up on the shipping matrix based on USPS Media Mail, since most of what I (eventually) sell will qualify for it. For the few items that don't qualify, do I enter the higher shipping rate on each listing? (It's no problem doing that, I just want to make sure that's the right way to do it.)

You better make sure you increase the weight of stuff that won't qualify for Media Mail to compensate for shipping (increase the weight to more than they actually weigh, so the shipping cost will match what you need to pay for postage).
martinenterprises

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy

Quote:

You better make sure you increase the weight of stuff that won't qualify for Media Mail to compensate for shipping (increase the weight to more than they actually weigh, so the shipping cost will match what you need to pay for postage).

That's a good idea! One question: if I list a 1 lb non-media item at 8 lbs in order to make up for the difference between Media and Priority shipping costs, that works for the US, but doesn't it make the shipping too high outside the US?
acread

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinenterprises wrote:
Thanks! Very Happy

Quote:

That's a good idea! One question: if I list a 1 lb non-media item at 8 lbs in order to make up for the difference between Media and Priority shipping costs, that works for the US, but doesn't it make the shipping too high outside the US?

You're right. Then you need to enter shipping cost as "Fixed shipping to" for those items for US (and Canada if you are offering) destinations and use the normal weight. If they buy more than one of those items you can refund the excess of the shipping.

Or you can separate the stuff you ship with media mail from stuff you ship with other methods. But since you don't have many of those (probably not enough to start a store), this might not be such a good idea.
martinenterprises

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, you're very helpful!
FleaMarkIt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Combined Shipping Reply with quote

I have free US. On the non US it says contact me for multiple buy ship discount.
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Combined Shipping Reply with quote

FleaMarkIt wrote:
I have free US. On the non US it says contact me for multiple buy ship discount.

That won't work. If you don't have the shipping matrix filled out it will show ZERO for the shipping charges and that is all they need to pay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: