eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Checks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuteasabug

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Checks Reply with quote

My first bad experience of taking checks.

Held a $110.00 check for the normal 10 days and the only thing I can imagine happened was it takes longer this time of year?? I have no other explanation.

This check came back on 12/21 as written on a closed account and I received it in the mail today along with the $30.00 fee!

So I thought I have the phone number and I will just call. Phone number has been disconnected. Then I called information for area code 407 and the new number is unpublished.

I spoke to the supervisor which could not leave a message or number for them to call. Then I asked for the local Palm Beach non-emergency police department #.

Just got off the phone with the officer that will be dropping by the address with a message that to call me coupled by he will be back if she doesn't call.

Meanwhile. Document all attempts to contact by phone or email - dates and times followed by a certified letter for demand of payment.

It did help I think that I had spent time in the neighboring town Melborne while with AT&T and knew a local Italian restaurant I had enjoyed there.

So far as cyber law enforcement is lagging behind I think this is the best I can hope for.

Mary
www.cuteasabug.biz
www.cuteasabug.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Buytime

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear about this Crying or Very sad
I hope you get something worked out.
Do you have a Name and email address so we can all be wary of this creep.

Kenny
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that happened. That's really why I quit taking checks a while back. You can wait 10 days or whatever to clear but they can bounce back much later... Even though I'd love to offer the option I just never felt secure enough about taking them.
zickit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really sorry this is happening to you.

Checks can be returned forever, at least 60 sometimes 90 days! Seriously! If you get your bank statement and there is a check that cleared your account you have 30 days to get to the bank and tell them why that check should NOT have come out of your check, the bank then plays around with it for another 30 days.
So if a seller banks a check say on the 2nd of the month, the buyer won't see that clear on there bank statement until about the 5th of the next month ans has until the 30th to get to their bank and explain the problem with that check clearing. Their bank then starts the revisal of the check. YOU won't see that for about 30 days. All this equals like 60 days!

My point is holding a check for 10 days is worthless!

Be sure to file with the Post Office. Since the check was mailed to you this means mail fraud! Contact your local PO and ask for the fraud investagator.

I have a link that you can look up neighbors of the address and get neighbors phone numbers if you want to call them and ask that they pass on the message. BECARFEUL though you can't tell personal info which would include the fact they owe you money and or they bounced a check.

I'll search for that link and post it later.
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree with what has already been said. We do not accept personal checks, however a few do float in.
Each time we receive one we call the bank that it is issued on to verify the funds are available and to validate the account on the date we received the check.
So far every check has **not** had the funds or was not an active account. One customer was very shocked we would even consider calling his bank to verify.
All but one completed the transaction with valid funds.
rowsofclothes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry that happened cuteasabug. Checks are kind of a tricky situation that can come back to bite you in the end. Same with money orders. Although I hear postal money orders are ok. But anything that becomes a penalty on me because of their actions (checks, money orders) then I try to stay away from them. Hope you hear some good news!
randasresale

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How unfortunate! I only just began taking personal checks but I state that I will hold them for 14 days prior to shipment of item. Makes one think. Haven't been burned.. yet.. Sad

Etchings - when you say you call and validate the checks, does that not still mean that the customer could come back in the bank later and do what Big Men said with saying the check was problematic?
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Etchings - when you say you call and validate the checks, does that not still mean that the customer could come back in the bank later and do what Big Men said with saying the check was problematic?

YES! But at least she knows at the time she bank it #1 the account was open #2 the funds were there at that moment. BUT nothing stops them from claiming it should not have cleared.
jwautographs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been paid by checks many, many times from Internet buyers and, in over ten years of selling online, have had only 3 bounced checks and only one which did not make restitution.

I've had only one issue with a credit card payment and showed proof of delivery but still lost that one for some reason I cannot phantom. That cost me over $450!!

I believe the odds are no better or worse via check or credit card. One does need to determine their risk when accepting check but I've not seen a reason for alarm. Actually, my bank has more problems with money orders now than checks due to many fake money orders.

Just take precautions and use good judgment on every transaction. In the long run you'll find that the vast majority of buyers are honest no matter what form of payment they use.
rowsofclothes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, counterfeit money orders are on the rise. USPS money orders are supposed to be the safest and hardest to counterfeit.
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money orders now have holograms or special magnetic stuff within the paper. Banks have a machine that they slip the money order in - it immediately tells them if it's a good piece of paper or not. I never ship on a money order til after my trip to the bank.

HOWEVER, many money orders are stolen. If that's the case that machine won't know it. That machine only looks at the paper it's on for whatever special thing is suppose to be there to prove it's not just a great scan job with a great printer.
randasresale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

payment via Paypal is no safe guarantee either due to chargebacks. Sad
zickit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randasresale wrote:
payment via Paypal is no safe guarantee either due to chargebacks. Sad

NO PAYMENT except CASH is a safe thing. Even cash could be counterfeit!
randasresale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amen! Good thing my sales are usually under $20 including shipping. I can't believe I had my first sale already!

M-i-r-a-n-d-a
EtchingsandCollectibles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
Quote:

YES! But at least she knows at the time she bank it #1 the account was open #2 the funds were there at that moment. BUT nothing stops them from claiming it should not have cleared.

As B&T said...but at least we have cleared hoop #1..
No form of payment anymore is 100% secure...just gotta play the odds.

Carry on! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: