eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Pics of jewelry
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
annasattic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Pics of jewelry Reply with quote

Hi
Can anybody give any pointers on how to take good pics of jewelry?
I've tried everything, except standing on my head and that might be next! Rolling Eyes
TIA
Anna
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Periwinkles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with that too. If you get too close it's blurry and if you don't you can't see the jewelry details. I have a pretty good camera too so can't help you but will enjoy seeing the answer from someone who knows.

Joyce
jwautographs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this will help but may provide some helpful tips.

http://www.tabletopstudio.com/documents/jewelry_photography.htm
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any real tips except that I know my digital camera has a setting especially for close-up, detailed pictures. If I don't use that setting on my camera those close-up shots will be blurry every time...
wahm922

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its not how the pros would do it, they use light boxes but I've had luck with using the macro setting on my camera, making sure not to use a flash but have a well lighted area - stand back and angle the camera slightyl and zoom in as much as you can before the image becomes blurry.

I've known people to make their own lightboxes using a simple milkjug or cat food container - you know the clear kinda whiteish ones. Cut the bottom out place over the items and take the picture through the top of the container Wink
thelangcompanysilverjewel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

The best place I've found to take pix of my jewelry is outside. Between 11:00 and 3:00 seems to be the best time. And usually when there are some clouds.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tracy
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to jwautographs
Thanks for the link. I for one found it helpful.
fabulous-for-less

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a more remedial method... I took a plastic opaque milk gallon jug and cut off the bottom.

Then I position my jewelry item on a white background, put the milk carton over it, put my camera lense thru the jug spout and take the photo.

Make sure you use your flash and that the flash is outside of the jug when the lens is thru the top and you probably will have to set your camera to Macro (close-up) mode.

I was going crazy trying to take jewelry pix and someone on another forum suggested this and it works great!!

I'm just setting up my store here so I don't have samples of how the pix come out but I think you'll be happy with it...

Take care!
cuppatea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't laugh... but I was having problems photographing the marks on the bottom of china, so I tried scanning one on my flatbed scanner - it worked great! Don't know if it would work for jewelry, the sparklies might reflect too much.

Heather Ellen
fabulous-for-less

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuppatea wrote:
Don't laugh... but I was having problems photographing the marks on the bottom of china, so I tried scanning one on my flatbed scanner - it worked great! Don't know if it would work for jewelry, the sparklies might reflect too much.

Heather Ellen

Hey that's a great idea!! I sell china too and those marks are a real bear to photograph sometimes!

Too bad I don't have a scanner... Sad

Laughing
ClassicTreasures

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and a nice first day of 2007 to Everyone!

I am glad this discussion topic came up, as I am currently considering to get a new camera, and simply can''t decide which one. The one I am using takes O.K. pics but I would liek to have one that's even better. In another on-line chatroom people were discussing the same and several suggestions came up, which I am glad to share with you:

Arrow Canon Powershot Elph 7.1 megs
Arrow Canon PowerShot SD600.
Arrow Fuji Finepix S5200
Arrow Fujifilm Finepix F31fd 6.3MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Zoom

I haven't yet tried any of the above, and will spend some time in the coming days to shop around. Until then, if anyone has any experience with the above, please contribute!

Thanks! Very Happy
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a camera that gets blues, greens and purples screwed up. It is inconsistent and of course every time I take to a camera shop it works perfectly. I realize this isn't about jewelry but since we are on the subject of taking pics, I'd throw this out.

I thought at first it was the lighting but it behaves the same way when I use flash, no flash, sunshine or lamplight.
cuppatea

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Canon PowerShot A75. I don't know much about cameras, just clicking and shooting. Some pics come out great, some so-so. You can see samples in my store. All pics but the logos were taken with the camera.

Heather Ellen
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use a camera box, just two of those twisty necked desk lamps I picked up at the thrift shop and the overhead light in my dining room on medium dim. Works pretty well if I keep the camera's macro on. Without the macro, I'd be doomed lol

Classic, you can save yourself a whole lotta $$ if you shop around for a Fuji Finepix 2800. They are the "older" version, so are a lot less expensive. They put out beautiful pictures, like most of Fuji's cameras, and you get a great 6X zoom lens, which is pretty nice for those close up shots.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I KNOW I will be indulging myself at some point, Cuppa, in your store - love those beautiffful cup & saucer sets!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: