eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

another shipping matrix question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabulous-for-less

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: another shipping matrix question... Reply with quote

I love the forums here and the shipping matrix idea thread was fabulous but it didnt answer all of my questions. I sell a variety of items... for jewelry, I ship first class... easy enough... but for china and heavier items, I use priority mail. In my experience with my eBay sales, 75% of my sales are to CA or AZ and I am in PA. I tried calculating all of my matrix to CA but it seems so high for a closer address like say DE, NJ or VA. I have also included shipping insurance in all of my shipping charges.

If you are a seller with a variety of items, how do you calculate your matrix? I am concerned about having to eat the difference on further shipments...

Mine is currently set up as so-

1# 5.40 (not bad)
2# 7.40 (not bad)
3# 10.35 (seems high)
4# 12.25 (seems high)
5# 14.15 (seems high)

First class and media mail I just enter as flat.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains!
jwautographs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably do this the wrong way compared to many others but I use free shipping to USA residents and figure the cost into the price(except at ebay where I charge shipping to off-set the fees). I want my prices higher on ebay so customers will eventually come to my site and save $$$.

I believe many shoppers like the free shipping concept even though the price may be a bit higher. They understand why but it makes the purchase simpler.

In your case I would figure a middle of the road cost. On some closer destinations you will make a dollar or two and on some others you would lose a doller or two but things should balance in the long run.
fabulous-for-less

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting... and definitely something I would consider.

Thanks for your input! Cool
randasresale

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do both here and on eBay is use flat rate shipping always and if it is ever more, I always refund the difference between actual cost + handling fee and charged cost. I have it stated right up front in my policies and have had quite a few customers thank me and return just because I refund excess cost.

edited: reason being I don't have time to calculate shipping when I'm listing on all the bazillion of items I have, so I just try to figure in my head what it would cost, and a lot of times (except for international) I have a max shipping that I will charge, no matter what. this is especially true for jeans as priority mail jeans shipping for larger sizes can get really pricey.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
YourRainyDayBookStore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: another shipping matrix question... Reply with quote

fabulous-for-less wrote:
In my experience with my eBay sales, 75% of my sales are to CA or AZ and I am in PA. I tried calculating all of my matrix to CA but it seems so high for a closer address like say DE, NJ or VA. I have also included shipping insurance in all of my shipping charges.

Mine is currently set up as so-
1# 5.40 (not bad)
2# 7.40 (not bad)
3# 10.35 (seems high)
4# 12.25 (seems high)
5# 14.15 (seems high)

Your combined shipping, delivery confirmation and insurance charges don't seem that high when compared to what I have to charge on shipments to the East coast from CA. My priority mail chart has the following actual charges from CA to Zone 8.
1# 4.05
2# 6.05
3# 9.00
4# 10.90
5# 12.80

You can save a bit by not using USPS insurance. Instead try DSI which is a lot less. I probably pay the highest fee as don't use it very often but it is only .50 for USA, .70 for Canada and $1.00 for International.

Also with Attic Treasures I don't use the matrix as couldn't figure how to make it work with Zones. Embarassed Instead I used another seller's suggestion which is part of the following:

"FREE Insurance on this item
Priority Mail Shipping from #92587 (Southern California)
SHIPPING FEES ON THIS ITEM WILL RANGE FROM $4.20 TO $6.05 DEPENDING ON YOUR ZIP CODE

Shipping fees are based on WEIGHT and ZIP CODE and are guaranteed to be ACTUAL USPS shipping fees. No handling fees! Contact me (gaylene30@dslextreme.com) and provide your zip code for a quote of accurate shipping fees to your area. Any overpayment on shipping fees will be cheerfully refunded to you after I post your package and verify the actual fees.'

Some of the above may change once I get back to working on Attic Treasures.

This turned out to be a long post but I hope it helps,
joyce

http://AtticTreasures.ecrater.com
http://YourRainyDayBookStore.ecrater.com
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
fabulous-for-less

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Joyce that was a great post! Thanks so much for your ideas! I think I remember you from another venue... Wink

Take care and thanks again!

Fab
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: