eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Google Product Search Traffic Drop
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acread

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty wrote:
I know most of you don't want to hear all this and I will probably piss a few of your off. Guys, I look at it his way, all this is about Google Shopping and that should just be one of your traffic sources and a small one at that. Believe me, I understand the frustration but I honestly think that you can do more harm than good at this point trying to change, edit, rearrange and reword your stores and really guessing at this point what Google wants.

I agree with you, but you realise that eCrater's Terms of Service has changes. And the sellers are scrambling to meet those mostly.

If you didn't look at it recently please see: http://www.ecrater.com/terms.php (Section 3.3 particularly)

It is not strictly enforced at this moment but does not mean it will not in the future.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
snowflakememories

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty wrote:
However, if you feel your store(s) is solely dependent on the traffic/customers you receive from Shopping/Products and without this everything is hopeless you really need to re-evaluate how you are doing business. I'm sure many will say I'm was doing great with my GP traffic, I just want it fixed. If you are that is great but have you ever considered how much better you could potentially be doing if you broadened your focus just a bit and realized Google and Google Shopping isn't the Holy Grail after all.

Thanks for confirming my feelings, I agree and came already to the same conclusion about Google Shopping, but not sure of the implications with eCrater terms.
This is why I was trying to play with the descriptions, to please them both.
I'm doing very well and my customers come from a variety of sources, with many returning customers for my superior service and word of mouth for the new, so I don't worry to much for the Google Shopping in particular. However this matter needs to be defined precisely to avoid a Holy War, I have many decades of experience in IT and don't like quick sand situations.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:

I agree with you, but you realise that eCrater's Terms of Service has changes. And the sellers are scrambling to meet those mostly.

If you didn't look at it recently please see: http://www.ecrater.com/terms.php (Section 3.3 particularly)

It is not strictly enforced at this moment but does not mean it will not in the future.

I agree that Google has placed Ecrater and the sellers in an awkward position. They dictate stringent requirements for us to be able to play in their Base and Shopping/Products playground. Bottom line is Ecrater knows who butters his bread and is simply trying to comply and stay in their good graces( can't say that I blame him) and sellers are just trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Part of what I'm trying to say is that in trying to please G so they will allow Ecrater to continue product feeds and sellers to see their stuff show up in Shopping, folks are cutting and hacking their description to pieces. You are left with a sanitized, basic five or six word description that may or may not allow you into G shopping and maybe a potential buyer can understand or maybe not.

When all is said and done are your product descriptions written to help your shoppers by providing the necessary info and can they clearly understand or are they written simply to appease the G machine with no regard to the human element. Google has always stated in their webmaster guidelines to build websites for people not search engines (computers). I think they need to remove that statement from their guidelines now.

I guess my point is Google is trying to create the internet in their own image so now your vintage German beer stein description has been butchered,because Gbase doesn't like the word beer, to the point it makes no sense to a potential buyer but yes, it pleases The Google. Are we going to need to limit the words we can use and what we can say or not say about our own stuff and own businesses to the point that the search engines, including Google look at our short, sanitized, written for Gbase descriptions and laugh at them and and stop displaying them in their search results? But hey, as long as stuff shows up in G products right?

Wow, I just realized I was ranting, sorry about that. I guess it's no secret how I feel about Google and I tend to get a bit dramatic and emotional at time. Please don't take anything I have said personally......unless you are Google Wink

poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellspring wrote:
24K gold Aqua Aura Crystal Cactus Pendant Necklace - Truth Sep 25, 2009 ... Black Line Jasper with Handcrafted Wrapped Sterling Cap Pendant ... Rhyolite Pendant - Copper Wire Wrapped Handcrafted 6-pointed Star - ...
www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=5474580 - Cached - Similar

The link takes me to the Aqua Aura Crystal, not the rhyolite. Google doesn't seem to be seeing them as separate items somehow.

Those kinds of search results are confusing but, just so you know, "rhyolite" is actually found on that page (in the "Other Products" section at the bottom) so that's why Google found that page. If you can't find a result for the actual listing then there's no good explanation except that Google has never shown results for every page all of the time. It's part of the mystery of how it works...
cosmicray

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
Those kinds of search results are confusing but, just so you know, "rhyolite" is actually found on that page (in the "Other Products" section at the bottom) so that's why Google found that page.

I hope we're talking about Google web search and not about Google Products. If Google web-search crawled that page, I can see that happening. I cannot see that happing with GP, based upon the feed from eCrater (which should not have the accessory listings from the bottom).
acread

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicray wrote:
poopsheet wrote:
Those kinds of search results are confusing but, just so you know, "rhyolite" is actually found on that page (in the "Other Products" section at the bottom) so that's why Google found that page.

I hope we're talking about Google web search and not about Google Products. If Google web-search crawled that page, I can see that happening. I cannot see that happing with GP, based upon the feed from eCrater (which should not have the accessory listings from the bottom).

That search result is from Googel Search Engine. Another seller was talking about the same thin in Help section on one of the topics.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that cartoon.

What happens when we die? We get deindexed by Google within 30 days.
YayBeads

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat: you're probably right! Shocked

On a serious note: There are more ways to get indexed by Google than just managing your shop. Google pays attention to other factors, too. Some of my products still seem to be high in the rankings. I'm guessing it's either because I have put the link up on Twitter. Sometimes it's because someone else has posted a link, for example, in their blog.

You may not have to give up on Google, just try to diversify your exposure. It can't hurt.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat wrote:

What happens when we die? We get deindexed by Google within 30 days.

Oh no, Google deindexes us!

And all this time I though we simply walked off into the cornfields. I know The Google is everywhere and in to everything but damn Shocked
IncredibleClutter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspencounty, your posts were spot on. Couldn't agree with you more. Thanks for putting all my thoughts into words.

Wellspring: "just try to diversify your exposure" - absolutely!
People, this is sooo important!

Tweak your listings as you must, but make sure they're good for all search engines. Mainly, get those keywords in there - titles and the first several lines of your descriptions.

Then get out there and get seen. There's lots and lots of ways to do that.
(Google it... LOL)

Ya, I love Google, but they do irritate the crap outta me sometimes...
Time for a glass of wine Very Happy
AlmostAntique

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ImajeNationFlatware wrote:
In my Administrative tool I have a column on the very left called "Navigation".
Subtopics under it are: Basic setup, Shipping & taxes, Texts & colors, More Options, and Account. Which one of those is it under?
I don't have Google Analytics; is that why I can't find this?

When you are in your admin page if you click the ecrater logo up in the far left corner it will take you right to the page with all the tabs. Its another way to get there.
griffengarb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like those Google cartoons ! MayI use them?
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

griffengarb wrote:
I also like those Google cartoons ! MayI use them?

they hold a copywrite
peachstategal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say that I am seeing many Ruby Lane exact ads from the same store side by side lately and do not understand why this is happening. Why would Google do this? As well as the ones where the sellers products are listed in 2 or 3 different sites exactly the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> News & System Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: