SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Picasa, a picture program that works
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poopsheet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remalysbooksncollectables wrote:
LOL well that was what Norton suggested when I had Norton on my computor. I myself didn't like it because it turned most of my icons on my desktop into red splats. And it added programs to my comp that I didn't ask for. Maybe the program is better now then when I had it back then.
But everyone has thier own liking Smile

I'm not sure how Norton works but ZoneAlarm will question every new program I add to make sure I know about it, know that the program wants access to the Internet, etc. What I'm saying is that it maybe it was something like that and not a warning that the program is bad?

Oh, and if it turned your image icons into that red splat that means it became your default image program. I can't remember for sure but it probably asks you during installation/set-up if you want it to be the default. Either that or it defaults to that setting and you have to manually uncheck a box or something. That can always be changed at any time although I never can remember how to myself...

Anyhow, I don't think there's anything bad in IrfanView but I know what you're saying.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
treasureboutique

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamless-Switchplates wrote:
Photoshop is really confusing to me, i'd love to learn how to use it if I can ever find the time to play around with it.

For now, I use irfanview (free) to edit my photos and I love how easy it is. Check it out if you haven't heard of it. http://www.irfanview.com

I have irfanview, but cant figure out how do downsize my photos can someone tell me? My original photos are being cropped out they are to big. Thanks
treasureboutique

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Tried irfanview need advice Reply with quote

I have irfanview, but how do i downsize my photos? Cant seen to get it to work right. Thanks:)
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remalys, just my experience, but I sure don't trust Norton. The program that used to crash my machine the most when I used Norton was the Crash Guard LOL. You can change the splats by opening My Pictures, click on View, and change the view to Thumbnails, or whichever you prefer Smile

Treasure, you can resize Irfanview images by opening each image, click on "image" on the toolbar, and scroll down, resize image is there, either by pixels or % of the original image.
treasureboutique

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleganzajewels wrote:
Remalys, just my experience, but I sure don't trust Norton. The program that used to crash my machine the most when I used Norton was the Crash Guard LOL. You can change the splats by opening My Pictures, click on View, and change the view to Thumbnails, or whichever you prefer Smile

Treasure, you can resize Irfanview images by opening each image, click on "image" on the toolbar, and scroll down, resize image is there, either by pixels or % of the original image.

My problem is by how many pixels etx? I want the photo to not be croppped on my store, but when clicked to show up big? If you look at my store the jewelry holders are cropped
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The placeholder images are cropped by ecrater automatially, and I wouldn't worry about it. If people like what they can see, they will click, for sure!

It's my understanding that a thumbnail is ideally 125 x 125 pixels, larger click-to-enlarge images should be about 250 x 250 max (to keep the images easy to load for every customer using every kind of internet connection).

Here is a great thumbnailing program. First edit all your images in Irfanview. Create a 2nd folder called "thumbnails. Download this program (freeware):

http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/?Easy%20Thumbnails=2800

Then just create your thumbnails 125 x 125, save them in the thumbnails folder. When you create an ecrater listing, use the thumbnail as the primary image, should look good.
remalysbooksncollectables

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleganzajewels wrote:

Don't worry, I got rid of Norton a long time ago. I got tired of it questioning everything I was trying to open. It interfered with my work too much. And besides, it seems as though most of the programs they have or offer does more damage then good.

Infanview can be a good program but for me for now I like Picasa. It saves me so much time and the little time I have anymore between school, business and everyday issues lol. Now if there was only a program that could handle the rest that would be great LOL cloneing sounds good right about now LOL just kidding!!!
ClassicTreasures

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I found this thread again. I have just installed PICASA and I love it, too! It first searches for all picture files then organizes all pics, and it provides a beautiful, crisp picture quality! Even some of the pics I did not manage to get sharp enough because I moved, turned out much better in this program. Thus far, I have not been able to really explore it, but got rid of a lot of double-saved photos because it would tell you when they are double by placing them beside one-another. It comes handy, as I may have stored those in a computer file, then copied it over to my My Pictures folder and may even have sold in the meantime.

Very good looking program, PICASA, and I will further explore it as my time allows! Good luck to all using it. I can't believe it is also FREE for the download! Very Happy
JewelryDesignsByCher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have irfanview, but how do i downsize my photos? Cant seen to get it to work right. Thanks:)

In addition to what eleganza pointed out, you'll get better quality pics if you use the "Resample" choice when you're re-sizing... and if the size ratio isn't correct for the size you'll ultimately want, just box the image with your mouse, and drag the edges til they're the size you want it to be by watching the numbers at the top of your browser....especially handy if it's an odd size, and you want to square it off. Then you can re-size/resample it. Wink

I just found out something neat about irfanview that I didn't know, and was using another program for... if you place your cursor over any color in your pic, it gives you the RGB #'s and hex code#'s ~ that's handy for me, because I like to match my borders and/or font colors. Always a new thing to learn! LOL
remalysbooksncollectables

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClassicTreasures wrote:
I'm glad I found this thread again. I have just installed PICASA and I love it, too! It first searches for all picture files then organizes all pics, and it provides a beautiful, crisp picture quality! Even some of the pics I did not manage to get sharp enough because I moved, turned out much better in this program. Thus far, I have not been able to really explore it, but got rid of a lot of double-saved photos because it would tell you when they are double by placing them beside one-another. It comes handy, as I may have stored those in a computer file, then copied it over to my My Pictures folder and may even have sold in the meantime.

Very good looking program, PICASA, and I will further explore it as my time allows! Good luck to all using it. I can't believe it is also FREE for the download! Very Happy

ClassicTreasures, I totally agree! I have even used it for personal photos of my kids. You know the ones that came out dark and thought it was a waste of a picture? lol. Well, I have been able to manage to save alot of pictures that way. Plus I did not know how many copies of the same pictures I had until I started to use this program. On alot of them I had the same picture in 4 or more folders, which after deleting the copies made my hard drive happier to be able to free up that space lol. And yes, I love the fact it is free! It is hard to find good programs that are free anymore!

JewelryDesignsByCher wrote:
I just found out something neat about irfanview that I didn't know, and was using another program for... if you place your cursor over any color in your pic, it gives you the RGB #'s and hex code#'s ~ that's handy for me, because I like to match my borders and/or font colors. Always a new thing to learn! LOL

Thanks JewelryDesignsByCher for the information on Irfanview. That will help those who use that program!! Hummm, I wonder if Picasa has that feature as well.
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea for I am not downgrading Irfanview because every program has its pro's and cons. And everyone has their own preference. It is nice however to be able to share information about each program or other information to help each other out. That is one of the things I like about being on Ecrater. And that alone to me makes everything worth while. Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: