eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Bookbatches - got Aljira too!!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Bookbatches - got Aljira too!!? Reply with quote

"Also, something is amiss with entering "ecrater" into the Google search box. This should "auto complete" and send one to the main ecrater home page. On this end it sends me to "Aljira" and then "Access Denied" and then the main site sub categories. Is it just me? If I type the entire URL into the top box it takes me to the site."

This is the result I got yesterday too. Maybe we should notify ecrater?

Terry
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you trying to post this as a response to a topic? Confused
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was brought up under another topic and was chastised for being off topic so I thought I'd start a topic on it.

When searching under "ecrater" in google or firefox the first item on the page is this "Aljira" with access denied. We're just wondering what relationship it has to ecrater, why it's 1st in the search returns, and if it's affecting wether people pass us ecrater for fear of a virus or such.

Terry
acread

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the background. It helps considering people may find this topic in the future through forum search and would not have any clue about what was discussed on any other topic. (Could also put a link for that topic so people can read the discussion that went on)

The first spot in search results is usually where the Google advertisements appear. If you look at the url given it is an incomplete one for a product page for one of eCrater stores called aljira. I am guessing the person who put the info into the Google Adword account didn't know how to enter a url. Or Adwords system does not understand what to do when it encounters the question mark in the middle of the url and cut it short. (BTW I am seing the same thing as you through my IE browser so it doesn't have anything to do with that)

In any case I don't think there is any virus or anything.

Will let eCrater know about it. Maybe they can contact the seller or something. I don't know.
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AC,

It was just bugging me - maybe for no reason Wink .
But I am glad someone is asking about it.

Terry
poopsheet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but when the first result is an ad it says so and this one doesn't.

It also contains category links for eCrater which is something Google does on its own and is (as far as I know) reserved for proper search result. For instance, when I search "mozilla" I get this:

Quote:
Mozilla.org - Home of the Mozilla Project
Dec 15, 2009 ... Read more about the Mozilla community's values. We're a global community of thousands ... Pick up a shirt and some swag to support Mozilla ...
www.mozilla.org/ - Cached - Similar -

Mozilla Browsers..................Support
Firefox 3.1 beta 1 now .............Sunbird
Firefox 3.0.1 security and .........Products
Lightning & Sunbird...................About Mozilla

More results from mozilla.org
acread

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet, whatever character you put in your post caused some of it not to display. I had to edit to close the quote so it would appear at least natura.

When you copy and paste stuff make sure you do not enter any strange characters in there. They tend to screw up the end of the topic.

I think the long dash cased the problem last time. And another time a slanted quote mark.

You can edit your post to paste the rest of your comment. (Unfortunately as soon as you posted the one above the part after the strange character was deleted by the forum. So there is no copy.)
bookbatches

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superplush-

I contacted eCrater already and they said they had advised Google that this was occurring. We are not (too) crazy...

Joan Rolling Eyes
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

acread wrote:
poopsheet, whatever character you put in your post caused some of it not to display. I had to edit to close the quote so it would appear at least natura.

Oops, sorry about that, I didn't notice any oddball characters. Looking back at it now I guess it must've been the arrow character that goes at the end of "More results from domain.com". Thanks, AC.
SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is disturbing to me - when you type ecrater into google search that Aljira thing is on top with access denied and right under it are some really weird products listed on ecrater like aluminum tin foil caps for protecting yourself from some sort of alien rays!!!
Ecrater's main site is nowhere on the first page. A lot of things like definition of ecrater in Wikipedia, that rateall site, an article on ripoff in an ecrater store and more. Nothing that would entice me to come to this site at all.

I thought ecrater was supposed to be a google partner. Nice way to treat a partner?!

Terry
acread

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUPERPLUSHNSTUFF wrote:
This is disturbing to me - when you type ecrater into google search that Aljira thing is on top with access denied and right under it are some really weird products listed on ecrater like aluminum tin foil caps for protecting yourself from some sort of alien rays!!!

I already posted about the Aljira thing. I contacted eCrater. And another seller who contacted eCrater posted the response they got. Please scroll up and read the topic again if you need to. If you missed it eCrater stated they got in touch with Google to fix it. If you know anything about Google, you'd know they act slow. It takes a few days before they answer the simplest question. So lay off of that.

Second I know that thinkfoil thing. It is product at a gag gift items store. Obviously it is popular. But be calm. I search and I see one of vintagemoonbeams items and not the product you saw. So either everyone sees different stuff or it get's rotated by popularity (or whatever)
Quote:
I thought ecrater was supposed to be a google partner. Nice way to treat a partner?!

It looks to me like the Aljira thing is a mishap. If you look closely below the Aljira title there are links like "Community" (eCraters forum is named that) "Books&Magaxines" (global category names) below it suggest it is actually eCrater info. If you click they come to eCrater's community page or global categories. Just the title and the url are messed up.

Who knows what they did at Google. It will take time for them to figure out and correct (program) the mistake. (When I say that I mean a few days, not months or years or minutes)

In any case, there isn't much to do for us here. I think you need to calm down and focus on something else. Go promote your store at Twitter. It'll take your mind off of this. Cause right now it is just waiting. And saying negative things about Google is not likely to help the situation much either.
stamped

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks partially OK now. At least eCrater name and link are at the top.

Confused Still says aljira below it. Looks strange.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's totally weird. They moved the "aljira" thing into what should be only links to sections of the site but now it's a combination of that and the incomplete product link. Weird!
acread

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eCrater knows about it. They said all that can be done is to wait at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: