eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

How do I know what currency?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TropikalArtz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: How do I know what currency? Reply with quote

I am in Australia.
I have obviously set up my account with my country.
When I list items what currency is showing on the items?

Is US currency the default?
Or would it be AU?

If its in US currency, is there any currency converters that can be added to my store?

There is no shipping on my items as they are digital scrapbooking therefore once a person pays they get a link to the item/s to down load.
So it would just be so as people in Australia or the UK know exactly what they are paying.

Thanks....this is all very new to me as I'm only just starting to set up now.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very simple, if you read eCrater's Terms of Service: http://www.ecrater.com/terms.php (and as a newbie you should read it)

You will see that:
Quote:
- All prices must be in US dollars and >= $0.2

So there is no other currency. You need to be able to accept money in US currency. That is a must of this site.

Quote:
If its in US currency, is there any currency converters that can be added to my store?

Sorry no such thing available at the stores. You'll need to calculate them on your own (try using a currency calculator. Can probably google it)

But I think (not 100% on this) when you buy stuff with foreign currency your PayPal account shows the conversion (so I think the customers should be able to see it when they are paying). But as I said I am not 100%. It's been a while since I bought anything from oversees with my PayPal.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal makes the conversion but you and the buyer won't know till checkout what the rate is. But if most of your items will go to North America, they will pay in US$ and the conversion takes place when you withdraw money from your payPal account. If you anticipate most of sales being in Australia you should have a line in your description, or at least in your terms, that prices are in US$.

You will have to keep tabs on the US/AU exchange rate for your shipping or you can lose bigtime. Allow yourself some leeway in your shipping to compensate for currency fluctuations.
TropikalArtz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You.

I don't have shipping at all so that wont affect anything.
I guess I just need to make sure that other countries are aware of the fact then.

I have looked through the Terms of Service but I have bad eyesight and at times it is worse than others so I will need to re read when everything doesn't look like I have smeared my glasses with petroleum jelly!!! Confused
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to send your designs digitally, I'm not sure that is clear in your listing. I'd spell it out if I were you.
TropikalArtz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put that in each item now. Thanks for the advice.
TropikalArtz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.........in the FAQ threads it says this......

Quote:
NOTE: You must have a business or premier PayPal account to accept creidt cards. It's against PayPal rules for you to show the PayPal logo with credit cards if you only have a personal account.

How does one not accept credit cards? I've never had to have it so that payPal payments were by credit card.

I have a personal Pay Pal account and have been using it for ebay and donations for one of my other sites so never had the need to have a business account. I wondered why the card icons were there and not just the PayPal one.
TropikalArtz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a look at my account. It says I can accept payments with debit or credit cards. So do I really need a premier or business PayPal???

I also use it for people to pay for things I sell on ebay.

Is it different maybe in the US to here in Australia?
acread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when do they allow Personal PayPal accounts to accept credit card payment. You do not pay fees with Personal accounts. Credit card processing costs money and PayPal is not likely to pay anything from their own pocket. I think maybe you should check it more carefully.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you didn't already upgrade your account at some point?
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PayPal personal account is allowed to accept a very small number of credit card paymetns in a year. I think it's like 5. They do pay fees to accept them. They get the payment and have to click a button that says accept to actually get the funds.
It's been like that since PayPal went to having personal and business accounts.
acread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PayPal account isn't all that old (there were premier and merchant accounts already when I opened my PP account). The first time a customer used a credit card I had to upgrade to Premier. And it wasn't much money.
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acread wrote:
My PayPal account isn't all that old (there were premier and merchant accounts already when I opened my PP account). The first time a customer used a credit card I had to upgrade to Premier. And it wasn't much money.

My gag gifts when sold on ebay always went to my personal account as most buyers paid with pp funds and not a cc so there were no charges.
When I opened that store here in 2005, I set it up that same way. It asn't long before I had fit the limit of cc for a personal account.

From PayPal -
Quote:
We provide personal accounts the ability to receive up to 5 credit card funded payments per year at a higher fee level. These transactions should come in with an "accept" or "deny" status. Once you you reach the 5 payments, you'd then lose the ability to receive more credit card payments without upgrading to a premier or business account.

IF you show that you accept PayPal you need a business account - either one but not a personal account! From PayPal -
Quote:
The requirement that if you indicate you accept PayPal on eBay that you be willing to accept any type of payment the buyer chooses has been a policy of both sites since August of 2005.

non-eBay item, you should have an accept or deny button for the payment. Denying the payment would return the funds to the customer.

Keep in mind that you can only allow 5 within a one year time period.
TropikalArtz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was what I spend half yesterday looking for.....about the 5 cc transactions....Thought there must be something somewhere more precise on exactly what it would be about.

I know I found the fee comparison for all the different accounts a couple of months ago but couldn't find that yesterday either.
I do know that I can upgrade to premium at no cost.
However I'd like to know just what the fees are, so guess I will have to go hunt for them again.

I've had no fees on my PayPal from ebay sales apart from the ebay fees so never had to delve into things deeper.

Thanks for all your advice....it can all be confusing sometimes.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: