eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Own website - Need everyone's input please!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljstores

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Own website - Need everyone's input please!! Reply with quote

I love ecrater and I am here for the long haul but I want to explore every avenue but I dont know which way to proceed with my own website.
I dont want to put all that effort in (as I hand code) until I am fully informed and sure about what I am doing.
I've read a lot but would love a refresh on the pros and cons of it all!
my new domain is www.ljstores.net
my ecrater domain is www.ljstores.ecrater.com
my own website is www.ljrents.com which is not related to "goods"

Should I link it to ecrater and use their cart?
Should I use zencart which I've heard is really good?
Shall I use the free cart I get with my host company which is ok but basic?
Should I forward my new domain to ecrater?
Where am I allowed to use paypal and GC?
Your opinions will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

LJ
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
fancyflappers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I link to e-Crater, don't have a cart but could very easily if I had too by using the Google BUY NOW setup or PP's setup. I just figure why do it now when e-Crater can do it for me.

I accept GC & PP only through e-Crater.

Do not forward your domain. Just forward all of your product by linking everything to e-Crater.

By having your own website and domain you'll always be able to make quick changes should your business plans change. Whether you change the venues you're selling on or want to strictly sell off your site, the traffic is already there, you've gotten yourself into the search engines, and all you have to do is make a few link adjustments, or add a cart, and your business keeps running.
ljstores

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fancyflappers wrote:

By having your own website and domain you'll always be able to make quick changes should your business plans change. Whether you change the venues you're selling on or want to strictly sell off your site, the traffic is already there, you've gotten yourself into the search engines, and all you have to do is make a few link adjustments, or add a cart, and your business keeps running.

That is very sage advice!!
Thanks for that!! you may already have answered my questions!!!!

LJ
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good advice, Miss Fancy! I have kept my own website up, it is, has been, and always will be my #1 focus. I put alot of effort, too, into other venues, like most, and Ecrater is my #1 favorite "other" venue. But the website is still top priority.

I had all my eggs in the Ebay basket right up until Jan. 2005. I had to go back to a day job after leaving Ebay, that really stunk, but it was my own fault for not diversifying.

Recently, Ioffer tanked after their so called "upgrade" to Ruby Rails. You simply cannot navigate the site at all anymore. I used to do really well at Ioffer, but when it didn't seem like it was going to get better soon, I cancelled my account (had people trying to buy, and could not take care of them, very frustrating!)

But I had the website going strong, so things went smoothly while I switched over to Ecrater Smile

Good luck, LJ, you have a good attitude, and can tell you are very determined, you'll be great!
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, as for the cart, everyone has different opinions, I guess. My site came with a cart, and I use PP Pro and offer Google Checkout, too. One thing with Checkout, I have a blurb on my homepage about it, and it links to an internal page that explains how it works. I tell them, fill your cart, checkout, and choose "other payment options". Once I get their order, I send them a direct Checkout invoice.

You may have a cart with your web host, but do you have a payment processor with it, too? If not, I'd go ahead and code the site with buy it now PP buttons and send Google Checkout invoices upon request.

After you get all set up and the store stocked, then you'll have more time to review your options as far as carts and processors Smile
ljstores

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleganzajewels wrote:

Recently, Ioffer tanked after their so called "upgrade" to Ruby Rails. You simply cannot navigate the site at all anymore. I used to do really well at Ioffer, but when it didn't seem like it was going to get better soon, I cancelled my account (had people trying to buy, and could not take care of them, very frustrating!)

But I had the website going strong, so things went smoothly while I switched over to Ecrater Smile

Good luck, LJ, you have a good attitude, and can tell you are very determined, you'll be great!

Wow, Ioffer was my first and only venture before ecrater...I did very badly and gave up quite soon...I never felt the energy that I do with ecrater and on top of that, the forums were filled with MASSIVE egos not willing to help a newbie at all. This is something I could never understand as it undermines the whole objective!!!
But anyway
I really appreciate you input..thank you very much!

LJ
ljstores

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleganzajewels wrote:
If not, I'd go ahead and code the site with buy it now PP buttons and send Google Checkout invoices upon request.

After you get all set up and the store stocked, then you'll have more time to review your options as far as carts and processors Smile

Thank you
all this info is exactly what I needed!!!
have a great evening
LJ
MIZombie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would set up my own shopping cart. I have Zen Cart installed on http://www.incense-stick.com which I need to upgrade VERY soon as the new version has PayPal Express!!!!

You have much more control on your domain then you do with any 3rd party site. Allot directories do not like redirects and maybe they wont check your site maybe they will. They go and see all your doing is redirecting your products to another site they could reject you. I am currently wrapping up submitting to nearly 900 directories.

Thats my 2.5 cents.

Zombie Maker of Hand Dipped Incense - Remember Hand Made?

http://www.incense-stick.com
http://www.nicodemon.info/community
fancyflappers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may have a cart with your web host, but do you have a payment processor with it, too? If not, I'd go ahead and code the site with buy it now PP buttons and send Google Checkout invoices upon request.

Why wouldn't you do this the other way around? GC is free.
ljstores

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIZombie wrote:
Personally I would set up my own shopping cart. I have Zen Cart installed on http://www.incense-stick.com which I need to upgrade VERY soon as the new version has PayPal Express!!!!

You have much more control on your domain then you do with any 3rd party site. Allot directories do not like redirects and maybe they wont check your site maybe they will. They go and see all your doing is redirecting your products to another site they could reject you. I am currently wrapping up submitting to nearly 900 directories.

Thats my 2.5 cents.

Zombie Maker of Hand Dipped Incense - Remember Hand Made?

http://www.incense-stick.com
http://www.nicodemon.info/community

Thanks for that zombie, I have already downloaded zencart a while ago but had trouble figuring it out.
I think I really should look at what options my host provides first. Then make a decision. Im leaning towards using ecrater as its already done for me and any glitches I dont have to sort out!!
I think ill try and figure out zencart at a later date if needed.
Thanks for your input

LJ
bargainsmall

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great idea. I wish I was that smart. I ended up parking my domain here for now until I can find a way to learn how to design and all that.
By the way, L.J, I visited your page and it looks great. I loved the pictures of the Hull walk and your family. It definatelly caught my attention your location and if you know of any properties for sale, let me know, We might be moving to Ft Campbell in about 20 months from now and I am very excited. Florida is too congested. No offense to the Floridians, please!

Excellent and lots of Kudos for you!
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fancy:

I've already set up a Paypal invoice that upsells, and every paypal payment shows my customer's contact info, including email address. I am still hesitant about sending my customers directly through Google Checkout, and try to avoid that when possible. I know I will get the $$, but Google allows customers to "mask" their email addresses, which does not make me happy. Tough to announce sales, etc. So that's why I send a direct GCO invoice. Helps with upselling, and I get to have my customer's info - which I should have anyway, in my mind, in case I need to contact 'em! Smile
ljstores

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marvinjoe wrote:
That is a great idea. I wish I was that smart. I ended up parking my domain here for now until I can find a way to learn how to design and all that.
By the way, L.J, I visited your page and it looks great. I loved the pictures of the Hull walk and your family. It definatelly caught my attention your location and if you know of any properties for sale, let me know, We might be moving to Ft Campbell in about 20 months from now and I am very excited. Florida is too congested. No offense to the Floridians, please!

Excellent and lots of Kudos for you!

Hi there and thanks
not sure if i understood your message completely though....lol
the Hull walk is in England did you know that? or am I reading this wrong...lol
have a great evening and let me know if I am being a doofus...lol
ljstores

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I really appreciate everyone's input and effort on this subject.
I decided to link to ecrater for now without forwarding.
Here's my new website let me know what you think, its just a page really Laughing, and i will be developing my site more and I will be adding a link page where I have decided to add buttons so if you would like to be added then start making your buttons...lol
They need to be 88 x 31 with a description and url. Please dont send me any yet as I dont want to "lose" any. Ill let you know more soon.

heres my site its not "live" yet

www.ljrents.com/indexstore.htm
bargainsmall

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry if I was misunderstood, LJ. I really meant that I did like everything and the way you had it. and Yes, I understood the walk was in England. It was very nice to view it from the satellite.
Maybe one day, my husband gets send to Germany, and I can travel to England and would be able to say, I have been here before, LOL. Good Luck on your site!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: