eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Jewelries is not a word. Look it up.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Jewelries is not a word. Look it up. Reply with quote

Jewelries is not a word. It is not the plural of jewelry. Jewelry is like deer, fish and people...the same singular and plural. If you don't believe me look it up.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
noadi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha... Some people just don't bother to check that they are using words correctly. However most potential customers visiting a store will notice that something is wrong even if they can't immediately place it so check your spelling and grammar.
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people, whom are not native English speakers, have trouble with words like jewelry. I think that might be the case for the person who misspelled the word. My biggest mistakes besides spelling, are leaving words out of a sentence. Bad grammar, leaving words out and mispelling are all mistakes that most people notice and I think that they do affect the professional image that our stores here at eCrater are trying to project. I especially dislike the way some will shorten words. For example: you to U and for to 4. That looks stupid to me in a store description. Sometimes I take the time to point out errors to the store owner and sometimes I don't. I get aggravated with some that just hurry up and put a few items in their store, sloppily write a few lines and don't bother to read the helpful instructions on the forums. Those that are trying to set up a nice store, I try to PM them if I see something they could change to make better. I am appreciative if someone does that for me.
acread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jewelries is not a word. Look it up. Reply with quote

MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:
Jewelries is not a word. It is not the plural of jewelry. Jewelry is like deer, fish and people...the same singular and plural. If you don't believe me look it up.

Ah but there is a plural for people. It is "peoples". Very Happy
zickit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jewelries is not a word. Look it up. Reply with quote

ACRead wrote:
MaggietheCatsMeows wrote:

Ah but there is a plural for people. It is "peoples". Very Happy

PLUS people is a plural alread --
You have one person or several people
MagicCardHaven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if "people" is a group of people, and you have multiple groups of people, then can you say peoples?

Because I remember when I was in 9th grade, my history teacher said "Native American peoples", because she was referring to a group of different native american people.
StarwavesDesigns

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Is this thread for 'silly words & sayings? Smile

Am I reading this wrong:

'First item shipped free, each additional 1.25'.

Is this saying only buy 1 item at a time, or I charge you for it?

I read it on a listing of someone here on ecrater.

Another thing:

This is the first .com site that doesn't accept the English vocab. I have now got to learn American
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarwavesDesigns wrote:
Smile Is this thread for 'silly words & sayings? Smile

Am I reading this wrong:

'First item shipped free, each additional 1.25'. Good one.

Is this saying only buy 1 item at a time, or I charge you for it?

I read it on a listing of someone here on ecrater.

Another thing:

This is the first .com site that doesn't accept the English vocab. I have now got to learn American

If it will accept incorrect spellings and bad grammar why wouldn't it accept British English (that is what you mean, isn't it)? I use a polyglot of languages unfortunately and never get corrected by the system.

Re omitting words. I sometimes leave out whole phrases and my brain doesn't pick them up nor do spell checkers.

As for jewelries, if you enter jewelries into Google it will take you to jewelry. If you enter jewelry, it won't take you to jewelries.

The thing with misspelled words is that the seller may shrug and say so what but their items remain unviewed and unsold because no one finds them in a search.

Jewelries is a common error in jewelry sites that otherwise indicate ease with English. I used to send messages to the sellers but not one ever changed it that I noticed. So I gave it up.
StarwavesDesigns

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I mean is: It doesn't accept the way we spell words ie: jewellery, colour
acread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarwavesDesigns wrote:
What I mean is: It doesn't accept the way we spell words ie: jewellery, colour

You mean the search?

It probably does, but there might not be that many listings with "colour" on their titles, considering the US sellers are in majority at the site.

See: http://www.ecrater.com/search.php?keywords=colour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that ecrater will only find the exact spelling and key word/words someone enters. Google will try to guess what you mean.
acread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Searche Engine does make guesses, but you can always ignore it and move on with what you entered.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is sort of on topic. I run in to different spellings all the time on my directories and it used to aggravate/confuse me but guess I have become more accustom to it and better understand the difference between American and British spelling and don't make correction like I used to. I have seen "Jewelries" used in website descriptions before and changed it to jewelry and at times it took rewording an entire sentence for it to make sense...at least to me.

Now I did pull a good one yesterday when I received a submission from a British owned site selling kid's "pyjamas" . Now I though it was an obvious misspelling and corrected it. Well,it wasn't long before I receive a friendly email from the site owner pointing out that I had misspelled pajamas and that the correct spelling is pyjamas .

I told my business partner who lives in Australia about it and he laughed saying the Brits use the correct spelling and that you Americans are the ones that came along and messed it up Shocked
StarwavesDesigns

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

google doesn't accept 'colour' - well not in attributes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StarwavesDesigns wrote:
google doesn't accept 'colour' - well not in attributes

If you use the copy feature you will only have to fill it in once as color.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: