eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Has anyone noticed that when your customer uses.............
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowsofclothes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are dealing with high dollar items and paypal you also need to be careful. You need a signature confirmation on anything over $250 to be protected.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnaflowexhaustshop wrote:
PayPal Confirmed Address = Credit Card Billing Address.

Ship to that and get your signature and you will win every time.

Tom, did you get any impression from the PayPal rep that you would be able to win a dispute if the buyer was a registered PayPal member with a confirmed address even if the address didn't transfer from the cart? What I mean is if you shipped to the address PayPal has as confirmed but the address isn't actually in the order.

I just had one myself. One of my regular customers here and elsewhere placed an order through the cart but since there's no address this transaction is, of course, supposedly ineligible for SPP. But this customer is a registered PayPal member with a confirmed address and I shipped via PayPal.

I'm just wondering -- in a situation like that -- if the buyer started a dispute with PayPal could the seller show PayPal that the package was shipped to an address they say is confirmed and then win the dispute?

Seems like a no-brainer but who knows..
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, guess what?

I should've done this before but I just checked (in PayPal) the transaction I just shipped and it shows the buyer's address as confirmed.

It still says Ineligible for the SPP (both are on the transaction details page) but I've seen that before and when I asked about it on the eBay boards I was told that's just a regular glitch.

The main thing is that it appears when PayPal matches up the address to the account used to pay then all is well as far as I can tell...
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet - the way I understand it - is the address will ONLY SHOW if they are registered with PayPal.
So on high dollar items YOu might REQUIRE them to register - just a thought.
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are dealing with high dollar items and paypal you also need to be careful. You need a signature confirmation on anything over $250 to be protected.

Not to go off-topic here, but that is also the case with Google Checkout. Anything over $250 requires signature confirmation:

https://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?answer=42863&topic=8666
magnaflowexhaustshop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
magnaflowexhaustshop wrote:
PayPal Confirmed Address = Credit Card Billing Address.

Ship to that and get your signature and you will win every time.

Tom, did you get any impression from the PayPal rep that you would be able to win a dispute if the buyer was a registered PayPal member with a confirmed address even if the address didn't transfer from the cart? What I mean is if you shipped to the address PayPal has as confirmed but the address isn't actually in the order.

I just had one myself. One of my regular customers here and elsewhere placed an order through the cart but since there's no address this transaction is, of course, supposedly ineligible for SPP. But this customer is a registered PayPal member with a confirmed address and I shipped via PayPal.

I'm just wondering -- in a situation like that -- if the buyer started a dispute with PayPal could the seller show PayPal that the package was shipped to an address they say is confirmed and then win the dispute?

Seems like a no-brainer but who knows..

The address must be within your PayPal payment details. If not, how can you be absolutely certain that you really did ship to a PayPal confirmed address.

PayPal will only check the Payment details, the same you can see. Then they will ask if you can prove you shipped to that address.

No address in payment details essentially = no proof that you shipped to a PayPal confirmed address..................

Thus, no SPP

BUT PayPal MAY give you a courtesy SPP, for a one time deal. Just depends on your rep.

I deal with the PayPal Business Reps, not the regular guys because of my sales volume I run through PayPal.

Hope this helps out

-Tom
magnaflowexhaustshop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTallMensClothing wrote:
poopsheet - the way I understand it - is the address will ONLY SHOW if they are registered with PayPal.
So on high dollar items YOu might REQUIRE them to register - just a thought.

Actually, a PayPal confirmed address is one that is either verified via AVS and CVV checks ( The unregistered folks ) OR via the traditional linked credit card/checking account that most of us account holders have done.......

A customer that shows up as UNVERIFIED is one that either doesn't have a PayPal account OR an account holder that does not wish to link the account to a credit card or bank account.

A customer that shows up as VERIFIED is one that is an account holder that has linked a credit card and/or bank account to PayPal.

It is possible to get an UNVERIFIED customer and have a PayPal confirmed address. I get these everyday.

It doesn't really matter if your customer is VERIFIED or UNVERIFIED. PayPal wants you to be VERIFIED ONLY so they can cover their own @$$ and recover funds from scammers.

As long as that PayPal confirmed address is showing and you ship and get signature, you are covered with SPP.

If you use the Virtual Terminal, then you have to ship the billing address, just like the Mastercard and Visa rules state. The signature finishes it off.

Thank you for reading my looonnnggg post.

-Tom
magnaflowexhaustshop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eleganzajewels wrote:
Quote:

Not to go off-topic here, but that is also the case with Google Checkout. Anything over $250 requires signature confirmation:

https://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?answer=42863&topic=8666

This is pretty much industry wide among all credit card processors. If it is costly, it just makes more sense to insure and get the signature.

-Tom
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnaflowexhaustshop - PLEASE correct me if I am wrong - but if the buyer is NOT previously registered with PayPal - there is NO PLACE for them to provided an address to PP when checkouting out on an ecrater.com order. Therefore the information can't be in the PP detail since the customer never had the chance to submit the information to them.
magnaflowexhaustshop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magnaflowexhaustshop - PLEASE correct me if I am wrong - but if the buyer is NOT previously registered with PayPal - there is NO PLACE for them to provided an address to PP when checkouting out on an ecrater.com order. Therefore the information can't be in the PP detail since the customer never had the chance to submit the information to them.

I am PayPal confirmed and verified and made a purchase from a fellow ecrater seller, and there was no where to place my address.

Confirmed with the seller and my information did not show up in the PayPal payment details either.

I did some google research and found this is most likely a coding problem.

Obviously, nothing we can personally do to correct this.

-Tom
poopsheet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my particular example, despite what PayPal was telling me, I knew the buyer's address is confirmed because he's a regular customer of mine and I ship to him often.

What I'm saying happened is:
1. He went through the cart and paid with PayPal.
2. When I created the shipping label through PayPal there was no address info and I had to manually add it in.
3. Once I'd finished creating the label I went back and checked the transaction details -- the address is now marked "Confirmed".

My assumption is that even though PayPal doesn't know the difference when the buyer originally comes through the cart it can recognize one of its members by the e-mail address -- and, presumably, the address they're registered with (which, in this case, was one that's confirmed).

So, apparently the address is not showing up at first even for registered, confirmed members -- but in this case it did after creation of the shipping label.
magnaflowexhaustshop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poopsheet wrote:
In my particular example, despite what PayPal was telling me, I knew the buyer's address is confirmed because he's a regular customer of mine and I ship to him often.

What I'm saying happened is:
1. He went through the cart and paid with PayPal.
2. When I created the shipping label through PayPal there was no address info and I had to manually add it in.
3. Once I'd finished creating the label I went back and checked the transaction details -- the address is now marked "Confirmed".

My assumption is that even though PayPal doesn't know the difference when the buyer originally comes through the cart it can recognize one of its members by the e-mail address -- and, presumably, the address they're registered with (which, in this case, was one that's confirmed).

So, apparently the address is not showing up at first even for registered, confirmed members -- but in this case it did after creation of the shipping label.

Maybe this can be turned into a work-around using the PayPal shipping, although most of my items are shipped under my warehouse account.............

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will have to "test" it on my next smaller order.

-Tom
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

IF it's a coding error within eCrater.com with PayPal - have you contacted them to make them aware of this?

OR do you mean it's a coding problem within PayPal??
magnaflowexhaustshop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

IF it's a coding error within eCrater.com with PayPal - have you contacted them to make them aware of this?

OR do you mean it's a coding problem within PayPal??

Could be from either end.............. I would think that if it is on PayPal's end, it would be wide-spread through-out ecommerce in general.

I haven't contacted ecrater about this because I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only crazy one Rolling Eyes

That is why I started this thread, to gather more info.

-Tom
magnaflowexhaustshop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received another sale here!!!!!!!!!!

UNVERIFIED

PAYPAL CONFIRMED ADDRESS did show up.

-Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: