eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

email questions re outlook
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: email questions re outlook Reply with quote

I have a new computer with Windows 7. Outlook is no longer available on 7 without Windows office installed. Windows has grabbed onto my hotmail email address, which is used for junk only, and won't let me change it.

Does anyone know if a Microsoft email is now required to have Outlook enabled? If not how does one go about getting them to change over?

I really liked Outlook as it jingled when a new email was logged in and I could deal with it immediately. As it is now, I have to log in to an email account just to check if I have any new emails.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
Comics-Emporium

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it kinda stink they didn't put it on Windows 7. From what I've read on their web site you use a program called Windows Live. You suppose to be able to use to handle all your emails. It explains it here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/looking-for-windows-mail
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had sent an email to Microsoft re Outlook and from the list of what is included in the various versions of Office, you have to buy one of the more advanced versions to even get Outlook. Some thing I'm not willing to do in order to get an email program for a junk email site.

My ISP told me when I called that Microsoft had to remove Outlook from 7 due to it being a monopoly and all that. I suppose this is Microsoft's way of getting back with a different kind of monopoly by requiring a Microsoft email.

Perhaps I will change all my ecrater emails to gmail as it shows the number of new emails in the favorites bar if you have gmail as a favorite. It is the ecrater emails that I want to take care of pronto.

Now I don't know what will happen to all my email data that I have saved on backup when I try to load it into the new computer. All my addresses and records are in that and my email provider doesn't provide much space on webmail.

Really confusing.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I don't know what will happen to all my email data that I have saved on backup when I try to load it into the new computer. All my addresses and records are in that and my email provider doesn't provide much space on webmail.

I THINK that without Outlook your pst files (your saved outlook emails) will not be readable. You would need to find a program that can convert them to a different type of program file.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saved everything to a Click free assuming my computer would be coming back as it worked fine. It just had a bad screen starting. Instead Staples bought out my warranty and kept the computer. The Click free doesn't work with my old computer.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to change from outlook to live. (actually I sorta like it better)
I hooked up my old hardrive from old computer & imported the emails I had on my outlook. They came in fine. They just started a "storage files" file & they are all still there.
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a live account that I have social sites and junk sites on and while it works fine for that I don't want to mix my serious stuff with the junk.

Some mornings I open my serious email account and have 20-30 emails that need my attention: orders, questions, payments plus other non-ecrater business communcation. Mix this in with 20-30 non-essentials like newsletters, those daily emails you must endure because you are registered with someone, a bunch of dumb forwards from friends etc, etc. Something important is sure to be missed so I don't want to combine the important and the non-important.

I tried that once with 2 accounts I have with my ISP. Both at one time were accessed via Outlook Express. I had to separate them so only the important came via Outlook.

One thing I don't like about Live is that the page is half ads. Is it that way when Live comes via Outlook?
aspencounty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this will help you but I ran into the same issue and this is what the MS site says about it

"For those who were looking for Outlook Express on Windows 7, sorry, the program is long dead. It's been (sort of) replaced by Windows Mail in Vista and then later by Windows Live Mail. FYI, Outlook Express development and supported has been stopped by Microsoft."

Besides windows live mail there are other email client options available. If your are like me and a fan of Fire Fox, Mozilla's Thunderbird is a free download and is a great alternative to Outlook Express. My favorite and what I use personally is Incredimail. It has a free version but comes with annoying adds. The paid version requires a one time fee. I have transferred the license from one computer to another but that was a while back and not sure how that works now .
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlook and Outlook Express - are TWO different email systems.

Windows Live and Windows Live Mail - are TWO different things.
Windows live is an email address with an email system.
Windows Live Mail is an email system that replaced the old free Outlook Express.

I pesonally use Outlook - a paid for software by Microsoft. I use it to pull in 5 different email addresses into my Outlook.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aspen, thanks for that clarification.

I'm looking for an email deliverer that I can leave on and it will jingle slightly when a new email comes in. That is what I really want plus I had such control of Window's mail, filing etc.

Right now I have my email provider in my favorites bar and to check my emails I have to click the provider, enter my password and then check to see if there is anything new. It times out quickly as it is on the web and not in my computer. Without Windows Mail I can't receive it into my computer.

I'm not fond of Mozilla. I've downloaded it a couple of times but find it disagrees with everything else on my computer. Sort of lives up to its name.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm looking for an email deliverer that I can leave on and it will jingle slightly when a new email comes in. That is what I really want plus I had such control of Window's mail, filing etc.

http://download.live.com/windows7

I don't knwo if it dings or talks ( that's old time technology)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Tall,

Outlook Express is on my old computer that I was using while I thought my computer was being repaired. That newer computer had Windows mail which was the replacement for Outlook.

I didn't know there was a difference between the live email address which I have for fun stuff and Windows live. Does it notify you when you have a new email? Can you arrange which emails come through automatically and which don't?

What I don't want is a flood of mixed up emails coming in.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can arrange which email ADDRESSES you want pulled into it the program

I don't use Windows Live Mail so I don't knwo what it does.
I use Outlook on my Windows 7 and I have 35 different email address go to the files they need to go to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Tall, that link you posted above. Is that a download for people who don't have 7 and want to upgrade or for people who have 7 and want to install Live?

My computer came with a trial version of Office and when I tried to install it it had autofilled my live.com email address. No matter how many times I tried I couldn't change it.

Got a laugh when they said after we download Windows will walk us through how it works. My experience with online tutorials is that they speedwalk.

Tired now and must go to the US tomorrow. It is off to sleep.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click the link and you will see it's for people that have Windows 7
Finding your applications in Windows 7

Programs you can download include:
Messenger
Mail
Writer
Photo Gallery
Movie Maker
Family Safety