eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

First Class International Shipping HELP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: First Class International Shipping HELP! Reply with quote

I have a lady from Canada who is wanting me to ship an item First Class, which the package does qualify. It's been a while since I've shipped FC Internationally and if I remember correctly you can't use PP for this. I want to add tracking as well, I've had a few lost packages that went to Canada. Does anyone know what it costs to add tracking at the PO or can this be done through PP and I just have forgotten?

I checked the USPS site and all that is shows is proof of shipping.

I did a forum search and came up with a bazillion topics! Shocked
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer your question about adding tracking because I never do that. But I send to Canada all the time by 1st Class and just make sure the package is insured. I use Shipsurance but I think there is another company for insurance also.

I've never lost one to Canada, but Shipsurance claims are easy and painless and it's cheaper for insuring than through USPS. I don't know if that helps you or not, but I thought I'd throw it in. Good luck!
woodard2009

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: First Class International Shipping HELP! Reply with quote

frillypad wrote:
I have a lady from Canada who is wanting me to ship an item First Class, which the package does qualify. It's been a while since I've shipped FC Internationally and if I remember correctly you can't use PP for this. I want to add tracking as well, I've had a few lost packages that went to Canada. Does anyone know what it costs to add tracking at the PO or can this be done through PP and I just have forgotten?

I checked the USPS site and all that is shows is proof of shipping.

I did a forum search and came up with a bazillion topics! Shocked

With paypal, when printing label through PP you get DC (delivery confirmation) for .19 cents. PO charges like .70 cents.
DanielMcK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frillypad; You are correct, 1st class INT. is not available through PP 0r USPS on line
You would have to take it to the Post office or sign up with a vendor like Stamps.com
I just ran a 4 Lb package through the USPS web site from my zip to Ontario.
The only extra services offered are Certificate of mailing ($1.15) and Registered mail ($11.50)
Insurance and Delivery confirmation is not offered on 1st Class INT.
Check out the small flat rate box. If Flat rate works, remember to attach the correct customs declaration for flat rate.
I had to upgrade my shipment to Priority INT, I got whacked an additional $8.00 but I can't ship without tracking.
I use U-Pic to insure since USPS insurance is hassle.
adding Insurance is a good idea.
Dan
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I decided to use the small FR Priority box that way I have DC. I really don't understand why USPS does not offer DC for FC items, makes no sense to me...but hey they don't ask my opinion!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe that delivery confirmation works internationally only in the US.

Occasionally people have asked what postage program to use, or how to do postage and this is one of the big reasons I use and stay with endicia as I can ship anywhere with any available mail class, can pay for insurance through them that is cheaper than USPS insurance and can get delivery tacking numbers for the US. For foreign buyers I send them their customs sticker number if they seem to be having a delivery problem but I never try to track the actual package as it is too expensive.

Once you are shipping a reasonable amount of packages monthly it is worth the convenience to sign up with a postage program that handles ALL your mail classes--with the exception of express mail and I think partly that is because it has to be at the PO by a certain time and my mail carrier wouldn't be back to the PO in time to ship with that day's express mail.

Not meaning to be off topic, but have a good mail program can save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
DanielMcK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frillypad: the small FR is the way to go if your item will fit.
Don't be surprised if you can't track your package here in the US.
No worries, once it crosses into Canada, you will be able to use Canada Post for tracking and DC.
You can even sign up for email notification.

My PM INT.package took 5 whole days to go from NJ to NY. I started to worry as I couldn't track it but when it crossed the border I could. I'm glad the package was PM. If it went any slower a snail would have been faster.

IMHO:I believe USPS doesn't offer DC for FC item because of their relationships with vendors such as Endicia and others.
Dan
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
I don't believe that delivery confirmation works internationally only in the US.

I think for most countries that is true. The few that I have sent by PMI never showed actual delivery, only arrival in the country. But I haven't done one recently, so it may have changed. And I never did one to Canada, so the tracking by Canada Post may be more like domestic mail.

For me, insurance has been much more valuable and cheaper. In shipping over 8000 parcels, 3 have been reported as lost. 1 was to California and I don't think it was a scam. The other 2 were to Germany; one I suspect was a scam and the other one I KNOW was a scam because the idiot actually emailed me to say that he had received one box out of 2 and then told PayPal that he received nothing.

It was after that one that I started adding the insurance. Since then, I get an occasional email about "My package hasn't come yet" blah blah, and I just reply that I will get them an insurance form as quickly as possible since their parcel was insured. Every one has shown up within 48 hours after I email them. And sure, I believe in coincidences, and they may all be telling the truth. I just think that some people will lie to me and lie to PayPal but think a little harder about lying and signing an insurance form. (Cynical personal opinion based only on my own experience.)

Anyhow, add all the tracking you can find, but add insurance if you really need protection for your packages. Good luck!
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My package hasn't come yet"

Amazing how those packages show up when they have D/C or are insured! Although, since I use endicia insurance and the box wouldn't have an insuranace stamp, the customer isn't aware when I insure something as I insure it for MY benefit not theirs. I don't want to have to refund their money just because they can find where Junior put mom's package!

I do find it interesting that there is mention of delivery confirmation in Canada as this is an option I have never seen with the international packages I send out. I will have to check it out next time I have an outgoing international package to see if this is at all possible. Perhaps I am misunderstanding what is being said.

The USPS site should, in my opinion, offer ALL possible mailing options as they are the postal service after all, but last I checked into them several years ago they wouldn't print postage for the types of mail I was sending so not worth my bother to work with them.
VSDsales

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shipped many items internationally. They usually go Priority Mail which of course has tracking EXCEPT for their Small Flat Rate envelope and Small Flat Rate box which does NOT include tracking like regular Priority Mail.

I can't speak about the postal offerings of companies like Stamps.com because I do not use them.

You can enable tracking on the package sent internationally using First Class Mail or Small Flat Rate envelope and Small Flat Rate box by sending it "Registered Mail" for an additional $11.50. Sending it registered will allow you to track it.
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, sometimes you can actually use the Customs # for DC-like tracking, although it's not a given. I guess it just depends on who handles the package as it's going through (or who initiates the processing or something).
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can enable tracking on the package sent internationally using First Class Mail or Small Flat Rate envelope and Small Flat Rate box by sending it "Registered Mail" for an additional $11.50. Sending it registered will allow you to track it.

I think this is why this thread is confusing. Registered mail is a different thing than Delivery Donfirmation. Delivery Confirmation is only used in the US while Registered mail can be sent most anywhere except North Korea. Paying $11.50 for registered mail is a big difference than paying whatever DC costs these days (it is an 18 or 19 cent add on with my mail program I don't remember what it costs at the post office). Depending on what the customer is buying you will have to decdie if registered mail is worth that extra cost and let your international customers know that that is part of their total shipping cost if you are passing it on to them as it can double or more the cost of shipping an item.

As the OP mentioned I use my customs number if needed for international buyers that are wondering where their item is and that helps.
VSDsales

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think this is why this thread is confusing. Registered mail is a different thing than Delivery Donfirmation. Delivery Confirmation is only used in the US while Registered mail can be sent most anywhere except North Korea.

My remarks only apply to International shipping. If you ship a package using regular Priority Mail International the "label number" is the tracking number. You can go to the USPS web site, enter the label number in "track and conform" window and follow its progress.

If you want to be able to track an international shipment in same way when sending it First Class Mail International, Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope International or Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box International you must also sent it "registered mail". This will cost you an additional $11.50 in addition to either the First Class Mail International or Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope or Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box International postage costs.

For example the cost to ship a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope with tracking enabled to France is $24.95 ($13.45 + $11.50) before any discounts if you purchase and print your labels online. I use Click and Ship so what I did was print the Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope label online. I then had to bring it to the local Post Office to purchase the registered mail fee.
DanielMcK

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VSDsales wrote:
I have shipped many items internationally. They usually go Priority Mail which of course has tracking EXCEPT for their Small Flat Rate envelope and Small Flat Rate box which does NOT include tracking like regular Priority Mail.

First, Let me apolagize for putting out incorrect info and causing all this confusion.

VSDsales is correct the Small Flat Rate box does not have tracking like regular Priority Mail. I think a lot of us assumed that because regular Priority mail has it. I stand corrected and really appreciate the info.

Now for tracking regular PMI once it crosses into Canada. I assure You, it works, My PMI package is in Customs right now, awaiting inspection. I checked it this AM using Canada Post.
Thanks VSDsales for clearing up the confusion.
GoneFunky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shipped my package today and the postal employee said whats available with the small FR box is about as good as it gets unless you purchase the DC. She said they have recently upgraded the tracking system so it will provide what you need to see if the package was delivered.
This is a good as it gets without spending an arm and a leg! Rolling Eyes

Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: