eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Blogging - commenting on Blogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacestationvideogames

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Blogging - commenting on Blogs Reply with quote

I've come across a lot of blog that deal with what I sell. I put my name, email, comment and URL in. How much does this drive up my web site in the search engine.
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
zickit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably very very little
BUT
should someone search and if that blog is appearing in searches the searcher click to read the article and they can read the comments too and might end up in your store.
aspencounty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacestationvideogames wrote:
I've come across a lot of blog that deal with what I sell. I put my name, email, comment and URL in. How much does this drive up my web site in the search engine.

To directly answer your question, it depends on the blog(s). First, every link to your site helps some and I personally encourage things like blog commenting. My opinion is stuff like this is cumulative and over time yes it will help.

That said, blog links (blog comments), like any links, aren't created equal. It depends on the quality of the blog as well as other factors(s). A link in an older, more "authoritative" blog will carry more "weight" than a brand new one. Other things like is the blog(s) well indexed, it's PR and whether they use rel=follow or rel=nofollow metas determine alot.

My advice; keep doing just what you are doing and you can't go wrong. While it impossible say with any certainty that this will put your site on page one position one of Google for your key words, anything you can do like this most certainly helps in the long run. Wink
aspencounty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtallmensclothing wrote:
probably very very little
BUT
should someone search and if that blog is appearing in searches the searcher click to read the article and they can read the comments too and might end up in your store.

I hope I don't sound like I'm going off the deep end with another long winded rant but after looking at these two comments it reminded my of something I deal with on a daily bases and thought I would try and explain a couple of things from my own perspective that may help someone somewhere.

The one disclaimer I need to make is when you guys see me post something like this here, I'm almost always taking about Google the search engine and search engines in general. Some times folks can get a bit confused when talking about Google and Google Shopping. When you do a search on Google it is something completely different than doing a product search on Google Shopping. Google shopping is something that I don't personally do a lot with and how it works or is supposed to work completely baffles me.

Alright, for those of you that know me I operate a network of web directories and other related sites and in doing so I have learned a couple of interesting thing along the way. The OP's question was something I'm asked everyday and that is basically, "Will getting back links help?". Big and Tall's response was correct. I don't know anything about the blog or the number of blogs spacestation is referring to but I going to assume it's fewer than ten. Like I mentioned in my previous post here, all link helps but if we are talking about a small amount you aren't going to see anything dramatic right away. Link building is a long term strategy that takes time to develop.

Big and Tall also said some interesting and that was essentially your blog links could lead to direct referrals to your site. Again this is something I am frequently asked. A webmaster thinking about paying for a review and link in one of my sites wants to know how much if any traffic I'm going to send to him/her. I tell them the truth that I doubt I send very much direct traffic but I will be helping in a more indirect way.

OK, by now you're probably asking wtf is this old man talking about and how does any of this relate to me. Well, hopefully I can begin to tie it all together and demonstrate how everything is interconnected and how all the individual pieces create a synergy if you will.

Now back to the lesson. Another thing I hear is will this link help me to get higher PR (page rank). I think PR was discussed here a day or two ago and there's a good explanation if you want to look for it. Short answer, it depends. In a nut shell, a website's PR is increased by having links from websites with higher PR linking to you and that are passing the higher PR "link juice" down to you plus having a sufficient enough number of these higher pr links.

Do I have you totally confused now?

Here's how it starts to fit together. You start getting you some back links from different places like leaving blog comments, forum sigs, social bookmarking, web directories etc. Over time this is intended to raise your site higher in the search engine with equal more traffic which equal more $$$. You are also getting a little referral traffic from the places you left your links which equal more $$$.

W00t, your on a roll now. your site is starting to gain popularity and more people are finding it in their Google searches. A few of your visitors really like your website so they add a link to it on their websites. Some of your visitors blog about your cool site and add a link to it on their blog.

Your still building your own links where you can, people like your site and link to it, bloggers start blogging about it which mean more links which means Google is really starting to take notice of your site now and your showing up higher in more and more searches for more and more keys words which means more customers which equal more $$$.

You are tearing it up now. You're getting links to you website everywhere and more and more referral traffic is coming in. These new referrals like your site and link to it and blog about it. Starting to get the picture?

Lets throw in some PageRank now. Your site been around for awhile and you got some pretty darn good back links and the next time Google does their public PR update wow, you got a PR3, 4 or5. By now you have established your site with Google, they take some of your new PR and add it to their secret sauce and now you are dominating the first page of Google for a slew of your best keys words and picking a ton of low hanging fruit from others.

So now your site has pretty good PR, you're doing great in the SERP and getting good , steady traffic to your site. Google decides your site has aged enough and has earned a good "trust rank" with good traffic so rewards you with some extra "site links" Now when that potential new customer searches for one of your key words, you show up one on the first page in the first slot and with six or maybe even eight extra "site links".

So, your new found customer likes your site and adds a link to it on her website. One of her regulars clicks the link and lands on your website. They like it and blog about it. A webmaster with a really great site and high PR reads the blog and decides to check out your site. He links it and adds another high PR back link to your site. One of his regular clients see the link and figures is most be a good site and stops in for a visit..............

Now someone somewhere is asking if I have personally done all this and the answer is no I haven't. If I had replicated everything I have said here, I'd be a gazillionaire. I have never been to surface of the sun but I have a good understand of how hot it is and how it got that way and I'm simply trying to show how the pieces fit together and complement each other and just maybe give someone that little extra push they need today.
acread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Blogging Reply with quote

Putting that is good, but not enough. You need to be posting daily on a blog to drive in any decent traffic. Content that relates to the products you are selling. So it is full of keywords, buzzwords, whatever you want to call them. The stuff people would search in search engines to find the type of things you are selling. The more writing in there the more likely you will get more traffic. The more keywords the greater the likelyhood of related traffic.

And when you do there needs to be enough links leading to your store to be funneling that traffic to your store site. Perfect place to post your widget, rss feeds, your social network accounts (See how many things I managed to cram up in mine http://acread.blogspot.com ). Don't leave any images that go just to where the image is hosted when you click on them. They should at least go to your store site homepage if not a product page.

Allow a way for other bloggers to follow your blog from their reader. Provide buttons for hooking up to your blogs rss feed.

Allow for a way to people post comments on your blog (and encourage it, so you are not the only one typing relevant text in there Very Happy ). Also moderate the comments so they don't go in and post link leading to unrelated locations.

Also promote your blog posts in social networks. That helps with traffic too. You see a lot of bloggers do that.

Don't post links for other sites that aren't related to what you sell.

I think the I recently read something about link farms getting lower standing in search engines (or maybe that was mostly about Google. It's been a few weeks since I read that). So be careful as to what links you are posting on your site.
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also moderate the comments so they don't go in and post link leading to unrelated locations

I think this goes both directions. If you own the blog and someone's only comment is a link to their blog on say "How to make Money the easy way on ebay" or their store that sells farm equipment and your blog is about sewing (like mine). I delete it. They have added nothing to my blog and all they are fishing for is having their link posted. So if you sell sewing related stuff (like I do) you shouldn't be posting just your link on the blog for making easy mony on ebay, unless you have actually left an actual comment which pertains to the blog.

What you need to do is go to a blog that has a particular interest to you, either personally or professionally, leave an actual comment about the blog topic with your link. Those will generally be posted by the blog/website owner.

I get tired of people commenting on my blog with only a link to whatever. I have even gotten them written in Russian which is of no help at all to my mostly English reading audience on my blog. Not all blog owners are trying to make money with their blog. Some are just wanting to talk about their life and others wanting to give out information to others that enjoy the same hobby (mostly what my blog is about), some of course are only using their blog to try to make money. Many blogs can be commented on even if they don't directly have anything to do with what you are selling yourself, but the comment itself should have to do with what the blog is about and your link will still show for others to click and learn more about you and potentially come to your store.

And as the other poster mentioned it does add up over time. I'm amazed when checking Google Analytics where my visitors come from--many times from a site that I had left a comment on the topic even if it wasn't about sewing. People have many interests. But for linking back and forth on blogs, as our moderators here are fond of saying "Stay on Topic". Very Happy
stamped

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what you are typing is quite important. It needs to be interesting, engaging. If it isn't of any interest to anyone, all the blogging in the world won't help. People keep bouncing of your blog and you won't be able to get them to go to where you want.
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic is about COMMENTING on blogs. NOT writting a blog.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some allow your link in the comments & I always leave my URL if I can. Just don't Spam the blogs... I delete those that I get on mine.
acread

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigtallmensclothing wrote:
The topic is about COMMENTING on blogs. NOT writting a blog.

Ooops sorry for all the info I gave Very Happy I'll try not to do it in the future.

Hmm, maybe the OP shouldn't have called the topic "Blogging" because that refers to keeping a blog yourself and posting on it regularly. Not posting comments on other people's blogs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: