eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

My cart is not adding shipping or taxes - READ ALOT OF POSTS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunelady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: My cart is not adding shipping or taxes - READ ALOT OF POSTS Reply with quote

Hi all, just joined, and am very excited about getting started! Read alot of posts and am trying to figure out the shipping and tax thingys. Will be using the USPS calculator, so I checked that in Admin. Assumed that would be automatic in my shopping cart, but it's not calculating. What am I missing?
Also, how do we know when we have to add taxes in or not? I know that may be a stupid question, but there should be NO stupid questions when you're starting out, right? Anyway, trying to be a good citizen, I added that in during the Admin, but it's not calculating, either, in the cart. I added our state tax rate (TN), so am I missing another step?
One more question: How do we fill in the text to the buttons regarding the ABOUT / FAQ / etc, in our stores? Would love to fill in and get creative!
Hope to get to know some of you! Very Happy
Tunelady
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
acread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My cart is not adding shipping or taxes - READ ALOT OF P Reply with quote

tunelady wrote:
Hi all, just joined, and am very excited about getting started! Read alot of posts and am trying to figure out the shipping and tax thingys. Will be using the USPS calculator, so I checked that in Admin. Assumed that would be automatic in my shopping cart, but it's not calculating. What am I missing?

It is showing USPS calculated shipping in your product pages, so it is turned on. Did you select shipping methods for it and add to the boxes on the right side then saved it by clicking "update"? If so that is it.

When you list you enter the packaged weight of your items and enter them in the Weight section of the product info in pound units. (if it is in ounces convert it to pounds and enter it as a decimal. To convert ounces to pounds divide by 16)

Since customer or viewer info is not gathered they cannot calculate and display a number in the product pages. If there is an order the customer will enter zipcode and shipping method and the value will be gotten from USPS website and displayed before final OK of the order.
Quote:
Also, how do we know when we have to add taxes in or not?

They show on the product pages. Your's is not.
In Tax section select state then enter the amount in the box. Scroll down and click on "update" to save.
In your product info you need to select Taxable as "yes" for it to show.
Quote:
One more question: How do we fill in the text to the buttons regarding the ABOUT / FAQ / etc, in our stores? Would love to fill in and get creative!

You go to "Edit Texts" and click on the "About" to fill in the About us of your store. You tell people about your store, business, (nothing personal) etc.
"Home" is for the welcome message you put on your stores homepage.
"Terms and Conditions" is for stating the terms of your store. shipping, refunds, services used, whatever. It is very important to fill that out before you start business. It can save you headache if things go wrong.
"Contact" is for contact info. You type in whatever you feel comfortable in providing your customers publicly on your store site.

You click on "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions) and enter question in the box at the top and answer in the box below. when you enter that would be put in correct form. You keep entering questions and answers until you are done in that manner. As to what you type is up to you. What do you think your customers should know? Put it in question form and answer.

If you need ideas you can click on www on the post of other sellers and look at their pages. (But please don't copy the exact same thing. Write your own.)
acread

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and read: http://community.ecrater.com/viewtopic.php?t=7227
http://community.ecrater.com/viewforum.php?f=6
and http://community.ecrater.com/viewforum.php?f=13 Smile
tunelady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for replying! Just a few more questions, and I think I've got it!

I noticed some stores add taxes, while others do not. That's what I meant. Why do some charge tax and others do not? I DID go in and add my tax rate AND updated the page before sending you the question. I added the weight as "3" for 3 lbs for my product in the weight section. Was that correct?

In "Options" in Admin, I selected First Class Mail under the USPS Calculated Shipping, and UPDATED that before sending you the first question. I couldn't really see where I needed to do anything else, therefore the confusion.

I then went in cold, with another name and address to try and "buy" my object as a test, and neither the shipping cost nor the tax came up. I just went back and checked again, and it still isn't coming up. First time was on Friday, before I sent the first message - today is just after lunch on Monday. I hope I'm not just blind or something!!! I did real well selling on Ebay and other sites!

As far as the Edit Texts go, that WAS just a DUH moment....sorry! Embarassed
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunelady wrote:
I DID go in and add my tax rate AND updated the page before sending you the question. I added the weight as "3" for 3 lbs for my product in the weight section. Was that correct?

yes
Quote:
In "Options" in Admin, I selected First Class Mail under the USPS Calculated Shipping, and UPDATED that before sending you the first question. I couldn't really see where I needed to do anything else, therefore the confusion.

You cannot ship a 3 pound item with USPS first class mail. The highest weight for first class mail is (I think) 13 ounces. Or something like that.

So you need to choose more shipping methods to your selection or it will go into your backup shipping setting. If you are not using fixed shipping or shipping matrix, then it would display 0 for shipping.

So go in and select stuff like Parcel Post (and/or Priority Mail) in your shipping calculator.
tunelady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got the taxes to add, but the shipping costs are still not adding. Tried to post weight as "3.0", "3" "3 pounds"(and got a red - Weight must be a positive number or 0. Four digits max after the decimal - message). How do they want me to post the actual weight in the weight section?????
tunelady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, uh, acread, where do you want to go for your steak dinner....... Very Happy
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunelady wrote:
OK, got the taxes to add, but the shipping costs are still not adding. Tried to post weight as "3.0", "3" "3 pounds"(and got a red - Weight must be a positive number or 0. Four digits max after the decimal - message). How do they want me to post the actual weight in the weight section?????

either type 3.0 or 3. Both work. Don't write lb or pound etc. if it is less than 1 pound then you type 0.1 (or what ever the number is) you do not type .1 (you don't skip the 0 on the left of decimal point)
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunelady wrote:
So, uh, acread, where do you want to go for your steak dinner....... Very Happy

I'm getting a steak dinner? Cool Cool
tunelady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I am so happy.....thanks for being patient!!! Uh, can I ship that steak dinner UPS or only USPS????? hehe...
acread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL either would work for me.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: