eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Fraud?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaghetti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Fraud? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up after the following message I got last night from a potential buyer. (see below)

Does a Demi Moore who wants me to ship 5 DVD players overnight to an address registered to a cleaning company sound suspicious to you too?

I asked that they pay with a verified Paypal account with confirmed address and haven't heard back.

Anybody think this sounds like fraud?

Thanks,
Jim
(Spaghetti Red)

Re: PHILIPS DV/D PLAYER

Buyer: demi

Hello Gday,I will be glad if you can advice the total cost for the 5 qty of the ( PHILIPS DV/D PLAYER) plus a freight cost Via ups overnight delivery to CITY STATE so i can get back to you with my credit card details of the payment of order. Kindly get back to me with this infomation asap .
Cheers.
Demi.

Nb:-Shipping Address.DMoore
ADDRESS City St zip
UNITED STATE
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
poopsheet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for sure but a few of things stand out to me.

1. That they can't just use the cart to get the total.

2. That period after "Demi".

I think if you hear from them again they're going to ask you to ship to another country (Nigeria?) and perhaps even offer to overpay..

Let us know if you hear from them again.
moonmajic2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds odd to me - and the credit card, even if they pay through PP, can't they always do a charge back on their card?
Tsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go to the USPS site and see if the address is any good.

It sounds a little fishy to me.
Do you have the shipping matrix set up so it combines or do you have to re invoice with corrected amount?

But seen how they haven't gotten back with you they probably aren't going to and it was a scam.
T
spaghetti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I haven't quite figured out the shipping matrix yet. So I do ask my customers to contact me for exact rates. I do provide some flat rates as a starting point.

I did a google on the address provided and it came back as a cleaning company. Strange.

Haven't heard back yet.

Too bad this would have been my first customer (here). Sad

Thanks,
Jim H.
Spaghetti Red
moonmajic2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it turns out for you, okay? (Just cuz I'm snoopy Wink )

Best of luck to you though, hope this is a good sale for you and not just someone trying to pull something on you.

Enjoy!
Sarah

http://moonmajic2.ecrater.com
collectibles & gifts for everyone
http://www.moonmajic.com
silicone molds for all casting crafts
eleganzajewels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call the cleaning company and ask for a manager. Explain to them the situation, and do they really want DVD players there? If so, I wanna go to work there (lol).

It may be their credit card that is stolen or being used. It may be a legit sale - maybe the owner is shoppping for family, and it's a sole proprietorship. Either way, calling should help set your mind at rest. I'd tell whoever ordered that many DVD's, too, that you'll need a wire transfer or cashier's check. Put it nicely, but tell them it's your store policy. Good luck, and let us know what happens!
zickit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fishy to me too.

IF they do pay using a cc - make sure you send it signature required and do not waive that option

Calling the cleaning company sounds like a great idea too! Can't hurt
spaghetti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks, here's the latest in the saga of Demi Moore... looks like I scared "her" off. The threaded message exchange is below, starting with the last message first...

Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 6:39 PM
To: James Hooper
Subject: RE: waiting to hear from you.

am not use with that Thanks bye

James Hooper <hooper@spaghetti-red.com> wrote:

Sure, I'm glad to help. Go to paypal.com and sign up for an account. This is free and they will ask you to put in your credit card information. You will also need to get your account "verified" which means that you'll have to put in your bank account info. This just verifies that you're a real person using a legitimate credit card.

Then when you pay at my site using paypal, I don't see your credit card info... paypal handles the transaction. Many online sites use paypal -- it is owned by ebay.

Google probably works the same way, but I am most familiar with paypal.

Thanks. Is the address you listed below a home address? I have it coming back as a business address for some reason.

Hopefully paypal will work out for you and we can do business.

Thanks,
Jim

James Hooper, Proprietor
The Spaghetti Red Trading Company
hooper@spaghetti-red.com
www.spaghetti-red.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 5:07 PM
Subject: waiting to hear from you.

James,but i can send you my credit card to you runn for the order.cuold you please explaing to me how google checkout are paypal isworkking.kindly get back to me now.

Thanks and God bless youy and your family.

James Hooper <hooper@spaghetti-red.com> wrote:
Demi,

I am sorry but I am not equipped to accept credit cards directly. It will have to be through PayPal (verified with confirmed address) or Google Checkout with similar verifications.

Thanks,
Jim H.

James Hooper, Proprietor
hooper@spaghetti-red.com
www.spaghetti-red.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 4:50 PM
Cc: hooper@spaghetti-red.com
Subject: am on line now

James,
Thank you so much for your swift reply.am so sorry to inform you that i can only pay you with my credit card cos am not use with paypal.so if you do do so kindly get back to me as soon as posiible.

Waiting to hear from you.
Thanks.

Hooper <hooper@spaghetti-red.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm tracking down these costs and will have them to you tomorrow morning. I
am only able to accept payment from credit card via PayPal or Google
Checkout. Please let me know if this will be a problem.

I will be getting back with you soon.

Thanks for your interest!

Jim H.

James Hooper, Proprietor
hooper@spaghetti-red.com
www.spaghetti-red.com

edited by moderator - posting of personal information of others - email address.
capitalus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh-oh..... It doesn't sound quite right to me... Let's see if there is a next part to this story Rolling Eyes I would be prepared it's a scam or someone is trying to use a stolen credit card...
poopsheet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, Jim.
LaVieEnRoseGardens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: DON'T SHIP ANYTHING ..... Reply with quote

DO NOT accept payment or ship anything to these people!!

My neighbor manages a garage door company and they have those requests coming in from email, fax AND telephone! One of their sales reps got a fax order a couple of months ago, took the fella's credit card info, got authorization, placed the order, brought the paperwork for the order to be processed and that's when my neighbor thought ... Hey! ... how come a fella with the name "David McIntosh" has such horrible english writing skills?!?

She contact the issuing credit card company who said the card info in question had been reported stolen just the day before! The order was cancelled from the plant BUT ... had it not been caught, the sales rep would have shipped out almost $8k in garage doors!!

When the police were contacted, they said that these people are having all kinds of stuff picked up by 'their own shipping company', brought to warehouses around the country and sold off. Since the 'freight company' is non-existant, there is no way of tracing where the stuff went to and you lose out on your stock!

Be VERY Careful! If it doesn't feel right ... question it!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    eCRATER.com Forum Index -> Selling on eCRATER.com
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: