eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Random Acts of Kindness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TotallyKids

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Random Acts of Kindness Reply with quote

Have you ever done a "Random Act of Kindness"?
OR
Have you ever been the recipient of a "Random Act of Kindness" ?

Tell Us the Details!

Very Happy
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
viewfinders

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a dumb little thing I do routinely but notice it isn't routine for most people.

When someone is trying to pull out of a driveway, parking lot or small street with no light and the traffic is backed from here to forever behind me, I let the car pull out in front of me. I'm never sure how long it will be till another good samaritan drives by.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewfinders - I do the same thing. And I have been the recipient of such kindness as well. When driving on the interstate, especially at night, when a truck signals he wants to switch to my lane, I flash my headlights when he has enough room to fit. Most of the time, he will lightly hit his brakes in thanks. More than one trucker has 'let me in' so I try to return the favor.

The biggie, most recent act of kindness I received:
Around midnight Jan 1/Jan 2, DH decided that he should get his chest pain checked out at the emergency room. (the Dr 2 days before had tentatively diagnosed acid reflux but said if it hurts for 4 hours straight get it checked out) So I drove him. When we got to the light in front of the hospital, I put on my blinker to turn right and tried to get around the driver going straight. He saw what I was doing and moved his pickup truck into the left turn lane so I would have enough room to get around him and turn into the hospital.

ps. While he did not have all of the symptoms of a heart attack, DH did end up having one in the emergency room. He's doing fine now having 'been fixed' and has listened to his doctor's 'if you smoke you die' lecture.
tdscollectablesonline

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow TryeeTrading, it's a good thing that you were around to drive DH to the hospital!! I would hate to think what would have happened if DH was home when he realized he was really having a heart attack!!! Sad

When driving, I also try to let other drivers out of difficult places. I've been known to get shopping carts for strangers some places where I shop you have to deposit a quarter to get a shopping cart.

I've even been known to help elderly shoppers put their groceries into the car...but nothing I've done can compare to what you've done TyreeTrading, you're a hero!!!
Very Happy
2daSource

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once received a notice that there was a registered letter waiting for me, at the main post office in Pontiac, MI. Pontiac, for those who don't know, is a "depressed" locality, like a smaller version of Detroit.

I wasn't really worried about my car, since it was an old beat-up, rusty hulk. You know the type...one door a different color from the rest of the car...bumper sticker on the rear bumper that reads...

"On a quiet day, you can hear this car rust"

I get to the main post office in the early afternoon on a nice sunny day. I spend some 20 minutes in line, before I find out that I'm in the wrong line. I finally get the registered letter and am leaving the post office, when I reach in my pocket....only to find that the keys aren't there.

Must've locked the keys in the car, which is okay since I carry an extra set in my wallet. I get to the car and notice...yep, keys still in the ignition. Driver's side window rolled down...engine running.

Now I'm really embarassed. I left the car without even shutting the engine off? I get in and as I was fastening my seat belt, noticed a piece of paper in the passenger seat.

I reach for the paper and a $20 bill falls out. On the paper were the words...

"You obviously need this more than I do"
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2daSource wrote:
I once received a notice that there was a registered letter waiting for me, at the main post office in Pontiac, MI. Pontiac, for those who don't know, is a "depressed" locality, like a smaller version of Detroit.

I wasn't really worried about my car, since it was an old beat-up, rusty hulk. You know the type...one door a different color from the rest of the car...bumper sticker on the rear bumper that reads...

"On a quiet day, you can hear this car rust" I used to have a car like that alas no bumper sticker.
I get to the main post office in the early afternoon on a nice sunny day. I spend some 20 minutes in line, before I find out that I'm in the wrong line. I finally get the registered letter and am leaving the post office, when I reach in my pocket....only to find that the keys aren't there.

Must've locked the keys in the car, which is okay since I carry an extra set in my wallet. I get to the car and notice...yep, keys still in the ignition. Driver's side window rolled down...engine running.

Now I'm really embarassed. I left the car without even shutting the engine off? I get in and as I was fastening my seat belt, noticed a piece of paper in the passenger seat.

I reach for the paper and a $20 bill falls out. On the paper were the words...

"You obviously need this more than I do"

This is a wonderful story. thanks for sharing it.
Sadiestore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a fly in the house and released him outside. He seemed pretty happy about the ordeal.
emeraldpeacockstatements

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the area I live in. We are just nice people here. Small town in Florida.

I try to always do acts of kindness. From opening the door for people to keeping space in front of me for the guy/girl to get out of the gas station & into traffic.

As far as receiving goes, we (my then 4 children and I) had a house fire the day before Christmas in 2004. We had nothing. People came to give us blankets, socks diapers (my youngest was 7 months) toothbrushes and the neighbors let us stay with them for a month while the insurance stuff was worked out. I can't think of a greater Christmas gift then we got from our small town.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: