eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

Try to avoid _needing_ to post in here

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldtopomaps

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Try to avoid _needing_ to post in here Reply with quote

I've got around 900 digital download maps that are set-up for easy use with GPS software / devices. I have taken the time to create descriptions that, while fairly boring, do describe each product individually, listing the towns and villages found on a given map.

The thing is, I am fairly polite and don't really want to spam Electronics->GPS but I do want to sell my stuff.

Any thoughts or suggestions about this?

Tim
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
theartsandlettersofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't follow you. What do you want to know? I just looked at your store and the item I checked seemed fine.

If you have the rights to reproduce your maps, you shouldn't worry about suspension which is where you have posted this topic.
zickit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to list it in the category that it should be in.
There' no choice there.

As long as the 900 maps are different
AND most of all ... you have a way to do digital downloads -- ecrater does not have this feature.
oldtopomaps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that I am just uncomfortable listing this many items. It doesn't sound as if anyone considers 1000 related items excessive and I appreciate the responses. I've otherwise been very careful to follow the guidelines/rules.

Tim
MoonwishesStore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is set up to sell what you have. I have over 7000 sewing patterns listed and don't feel bad at all and eventually want to get to over 10,000. There are no limits and I think the more you have listed, the more your chance to sell something. I've seen store owners upset because no one is buying their stuff when all they have is a mish mash of 20-30 things. That doesn't even make them a blip on the internet radar. A thousand listing will at least get you seen.

Believe me the big stores don't mind trying to dominate the market! Go for it.
kjscreations

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are purchasing a digital download of a scanned topographical map made by the state or federal government.

Aren't maps copyrighted? I would be leary of this... it could get you suspended.
wtcollectibles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, too, but can't remember all the copyright details. Would they be out of copyright after 75 years? I know some things are. The newest map I see is 1939, which is under 75, but the others are 75 or older.

Might be worth checking into to be sure but they really look interesting!
oldtopomaps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about US government documents in general...

Documents authored by the U.S. government are not copyrightable. Section 105 of the copyright law states "copyright protection under this title is not available for any work of the United States Government, but the United States Government is not precluded from receiving and holding copyrights transferred to it by assignment, bequest, or otherwise."

All of my maps that are newer than 1923 were authored by the US government and none of these (before or after 1923) carry a copyright notice, mark or symbol.

So, yeah, if you could locate interesting government documents, you could scan them and sell them. However, if you really look, you will find that people are already doing a lot of this, particularily with military survival documents.

Tim
oldtopomaps

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonwishesStore wrote:
This site is set up to sell what you have. I have over 7000 sewing patterns listed and don't feel bad at all and eventually want to get to over 10,000.

Thanks, this a good example of what you can do here and it makes me feel a lot better about it.

Tim
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: