eCRATER.com Forum Index

SearchSearch
ProfileProfile

For those of you that wonder where I've been ...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: For those of you that wonder where I've been ... Reply with quote

On August 5th I went on my annual business/vacation trip to Chicago (from Denver). I drive because that way I have a whole van I can fill up if I buy too much. Anyways on Thursday, August 12th I fell down the stairs at a friends house. As I laid on the floor in pain I realized that my toes were going numb so I got my insurance talk to the nurse on the phone. I took her advise and got to the ER.

A couple of x-rays (foot and knee), pain killers, anti-inflammatory drugs, a brace and a few hours later I was back at my friends house. The next day, Friday, I didn't feel too bad. We rented a wheel chair and continued with our plans to go to the sock monkey museum. Saturday was good, Sunday was even better.

Now, when I was leaving the ER back on Thursday night the PA said the worse is yet to come and I should expect to ache even more about day 3. All of a sudden late Sunday night (the 15th), my leg swelled up, my skin got so tight and my leg as one huge bruise including the bottom of my foot. By morning my leg didn't it right in the brace, my pants were way too tight on the thigh and knee. I was in terrible shape and no way could I drive 18 hours home.

I got a friend to drive me back home on the 18th. The 19th I was at the ortho doctor here in Denver. He told me to trash the anti-inflammatory drugs they put me on as that is what caused the bruising and swelling. Once that drug was out of my system about 3 days, the swelling was down and the bruising gone. So now I go to physical therapy twice a week for at least 4 weeks.

Now, how did this cure my internet addiction .... well It's not comfortable to sit, stand, walk, or lay for any length of time. Therefore I got on my computer about 15-30 minutes at a time about 3 or 4 times a day.

Not to mention I can't do stairs without help so I have to go to bed at 11pm! That sucks the most!
View seller's profile Send private message Visit seller's eCRATER store
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! You in bed by 11. You could do as I do: forget about sleeping altogether.

I know you were away and just figured you were taking a well deserved rest from the forum. I saw the occasional post and knew you were still alive.

Sorry to hear of your accident. I take it nothing was broken. Drugs can kill you.

Take care of yourself.
TyreeTrading

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprains can be so much worse than a break.

When I sprained my ankle, I thought I would pass out from the pain.

When I broke my ankle, it didn't even hurt. Of course I figured out it was broken when I saw my foot dangling in an odd way. In fact, the first cast caused more discomfort than the break itself. (sleeping with a plaster cast is no fun!)

I had a two story house with the spain so I feel your pain. And I was too unco-ordinated for crutches.

We had moved to a ranch house with just three steps to get to the computer/office so with the break it was manageable. I found a walker to be more stable for me than crutches, plus it was easy to tie a bag to it for carrying esstenials like snacks.

You can, by the way, do many of the physical therapy exercises at home as well as at the office. Just ask them which you can do at home to speed recovery.
thelivesandlovesofmaggiethecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyreeTrading wrote:
And I was too unco-ordinated for crutches.

Me too. I was 2 blocks from the hospital when I sprained my ankle. They sent me home by taxi with a bandaged foot and a pair of crutches that were too tall for me but the shortest they had. Nearly killed the cab driver getting out of the cab. I'm left footed and had sprained my left ankle so my sense of balance was way off. I never did learn to manage the crutches.
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish it was a sprain

I have a torn MCL

Had physical therapy again today. PAINFUL! But hopefully I have learned how to get up and down the stairs with less pain.
henhousegiftsandcollectibles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about that.Take care of yourself and do what they tell you Very Happy
MaggietheCatsMeows

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um er uh. What is a MCL?
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the MCL - medial collateral ligament?
The medial collateral ligament (MCL) is one of four ligaments that are critical to the stability of the knee joint. A ligament is made of tough fibrous material and functions to control excessive motion by limiting joint mobility.

The medial collateral ligament spans the distance from the end of the femur (thigh bone) to the top of the tibia (shin bone) and is on the inside of the knee joint. The medial collateral ligament resists widening of the inside of the joint, or prevents "opening-up" of the knee.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/kneeinjuries/a/mclinjury.htm
lastade-designs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I am wishing you a speedy recovery!
maggiethehousecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I thought you had done something to your ankle too. Sounds terrible, on a par with knee replacement.
StoneWyre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH! I hope you are able to get around comfortably soon..and get back to your computer. I know that I'd have withdrawals! (We need a "Get Well Soon" emoticon!)

Interesting that you were well enough to get to the Sock Monkey Museum...you were obviously meant to go!
beachcatsbargains

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes!! Makes my ankle hurt just to read about it!

Hope you're 100% soon and can stay up as late as you want! Wink
bigtallmensclothing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ortho doc says at least 2 more months with the walker! 40% usage of my knee, that's up from 30%.

continue with twice a week physical therapy and at home exercise and must sleep in the brace!
vintageinterestnmore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch, double ouch, and triple ouch. Hoping your recovery continues as expected.
CollectHappy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like no more "monkeying around" for awhile. Happy you are home, and resting. Best Wishes!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: